Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glass for tank?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass for tank?
    Posted: November 11 2013 at 12:07pm
I'm wanting to build/acquire a tank for my office. I still have my 3' 65, but life is preventing it from being set up for now so it's in storage. I also have a 20 gal being babysat for a bit with what's left of 2 moves etc. but want something nice enough for my office and the owners' tastes.

I'm looking for a tank size of 24-32" long, by 18-24" front to back, and 14-18" tall (leaning towards shorter), and really want a rimless style (24x20x16 seems like a good size to me. . . ).

I'm building a stand for it that is 36" tall, and will have a finished top of 32" long by 24" (very possibly a granite remnant) front to back--so a 24" front to back tank would cause me some issues with plumbing etc. unless I can drill the bottom.

Anyone have something in the ball park of what I'm looking for, or know where I can get glass with finished edges, including starfire (low-iron), for a fair price?

Here in WY there isn't much for me to work with. And shipping stuff is a major pain. But I have enough family in UT to visit with for me to get things.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Redtree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2014 at 2:19pm
I'm the sales manager at a plastic fabricating company, Bold Technologies, and we've built both acrylic and glass aquariums.  We're located in West Jordan, UT.  Recently we've been doing stuff for the Living Planet Aquarium.

I'm guestimating right now but a finished tank using starfire glass will be around $1300 or less.  This will include an ABS rim around the bottom and an ABS overflow in the back.  The edges will be polished, the rimless edge have a 45 degree beveled edge.  The glass will be 3/8" thick.  The glass without assembly may be around $625.00; polished w/ beveled edges on the top.

Let me know if you'd like an accurate bid.  The main number is 801-568-7300.
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 11:09am
Hey Nathan,

Send me a pm i can get you some prices, You can look all over this forum and see our work.

www.utahaquariumdoctors.com

Edited by Aquarium Creations - January 24 2014 at 11:10am
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 12:13pm
Nathan,

I can attest to Eric's (Aquarium Creation) quality craftsmanship and fair pricing. He built a beautiful rimless tank for me about a year and a half ago. It has close to the same dimensions you are looking for. I trusted him because of his years of experience in glass tank building. Needless to say, he did not let me down. My tank is still running today with zero issues. You can view it in the "Tank Threads" section under "New 87g Rimless".

Good luck,
Rex

Edited by Rex - January 24 2014 at 12:17pm
http://zip-zero.com/wmas/imageUpload.php

wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 2:52pm
I would just get 40 gal breeder. It is not an exact dimensions you said but it is pretty close and I think that petco is doing their dollar per gallon sale right now. Then you could just get one of these tanks shops to drill it that would save you a ton of money . I think it's an awesome sized tank for cheap. just a thought to consider
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 2:54pm
however they are not rimless though.
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2014 at 3:06pm
It's an office tank, and something that will be seen by the company owners.  It's not the tank I want at home, but would like it to be something other than a common tank.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2014 at 5:34pm
Eric at Aquarium Creations built my glass cube and it is beautiful with perfect seams and an external overflowThumbs Up

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic