Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sock Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Turbo Snail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo Snail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sock Replacement
    Posted: May 26 2005 at 12:31am

I have a 120g and the overflow dumps into a sock.  However, I have to replace the sock every day or 2.  Is this unusual?  Seems a little high maintenance to have to replace it every 1 or 2 days.  I just wash them with straight bleach each time.  I had to buy a 3rd one cuz I couldn't wash them fast enough.  Suggestions?

Thanks,

TurboSnail

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 6:18am
I wouldn't use bleach to wash them! I don't even use soap. I put them in the washing machine with as much water as possible.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 7:59am
Bleach is totally acceptable, even soap with bleach is okay as long as the bags are rinsed thoroughly. (but DO NOT use fabric softener)

You may be feeding too much, that is the main reason that floss filter bags get clogged quickly.

When you remove a bag do you look inside? How much of what kind of stuff do you see? Is there much life in it?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 8:23am

I wash mine every week. MSM told me to wash them with bleach and then rinse them twice. This is how they clean there comercial accounts.

I wash them with 1 cup of bleach then I run them through a full cycle (without bleach or soap) once inside out and once turned back. They never smell of bleach and come out as clean as can be. If you dont use bleach or soap I would be concerned that there would be stuff left in the fabric that was dead and would start decaying once put back in the sump. Just my opinoin.

Edited by Holdencraft 33
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2005 at 8:40am
I was also told to use some bleach only, because if there was any residual bleach left it would just evaporate out. Is this true? I change mine once a week. Never soap, soap contains phosphates.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 8:35pm

I have several different types of socks.  Some of them filter finer particles and seem to clog up much quicker.  So maybe you have a finer mesh bag than others.  My finest bags clog up in only several days whereas the others may go a week or two before I have to change them out.

I also agree with Mark mine fill up fast because I feed a lot.  Your's may be encountering the same situation.

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 8:48pm
I won't use bleach on anything! I don't use it for my t-shirts either.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2005 at 9:29pm
Bleach is fine if use right, I agree with washing them twice this is also how i wash bags,
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Turbo Snail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbo Snail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 4:37pm

Well I feed my fish about 2 or 3 times per day.  When I feed them, the fish are able to eat all of the food within 30 seconds.  Am I overfeeding?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2005 at 6:53pm
Doesn't sound like it.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 9:54pm

Ok, I've had it with this high maintenance filter sock.  I'm changing it every 1or2 days.  Put it in the wash with bleach......turn it inside out and wash it again with just water.  What a pain in the a_s .  What can I do???

Can I turn the right hand side of my sump into a mini refugia?  I need some ideas on some kind of filtering where I can just maintain it once  a week.  Currently I'm cleaning my skimmer out once a week and then replacing my sock every 1or2 days.  There must be a better and easier way to filter a tank.  What do you use?  Anybody!!

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 9:56pm
Oh, by the way this is TurboSnail talking.  I'm on my wifes login.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 10:09pm

When you feed are you shutting your main pump off? or is the food being filterd out right away.  Im useing a sock on both of my 65g tanks and only need to change them once a week.

If you want I could come and see if I could help.( and bring the door shocks)

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
phuntsman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phuntsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2005 at 10:21pm

How old are the filter socks, I noticed after I purchased a couple of new socks that the new ones were lasting much longer, the new ones are the exact same type as the old ones.  The old ones had been in use for about a year and they were clogging up in about two days but the new ones last about 7-10 days.  I turn the socks inside out and wash with bleach but I noticed that the inside of the old ones were starting to get fuzzy.  Just my observations for what its worth.

Preston

Preston, Coral Springs FL
180 Reef, SPS Addict
centipededesign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote centipededesign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 12:24am
word.
i got some used from a fish store and they last 4 days.
i guess thats good cause i have to change them often... should have went
with new ones, I need to learn my lesson about tryin to cut corners in this
hobby.
90Gallon Mixed Reef, 2x250 14k, ASM, 10G fuge, 20G sump, 2x 1100 rio seios. Kaysville, 801.603.6588.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2005 at 12:36am

phuntsman-2 of the socks are several years old, I thought that they maybe plugged with several solids and so I bought a third one.  Now all three socks only last 1 - 2 days.

Holdencraft- No, I don't turn my pumps off when I feed my fish.  I'm running 2 seaswirls and I wait for the current to pass by before I drop the food in this creates a cloud of food which the fish eat mostly before the seaswirls come back.  Also I forgot about the shocks, I would love for you to come over and check out my tank and bring the shocks.  Give me a call 244-2433 at your earliest convenience.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic