Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Plumbing question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 11:18am
[Edit] Class 200 pipe was available at Lowes on 45th south when I bought some a few months ago.

Originally posted by Scott B Scott B wrote:

Thanks for the replies. Would it do any good to bump the drain lines up to 1 1/2" after the 1" bulkhead, or is that just a waste of extra material? My durso's are constructed of 1 1/2" material...
Yes, it can help if there is a long horizontal distance for the drains to travel to the sump. In the typical setup though, water starts falling pretty fast by its own weight, so 1" Class 200 PVC is plenty good.

Note: Too many PVC elbows adds resistance and slows the flow considerably so then we recommend flexible PVC to make the corner bends. I've used flexible PVC exclusively on some set ups. Flexibility is nice. Smile

That brings up the question of return lines. Any larger than 1" and the Return Pump has to lift significantly more water. The weight of the increased volume of water exerts back pressure on the pump which slows the flow.

Hope this helps.
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 30 2013 at 11:21am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2013 at 12:06pm
"That brings up the question of return lines. Any larger than 1" and the Return Pump has to lift significantly more water. The weight of the increased volume of water exerts back pressure on the pump which slows the flow." This is a very good point Mark, of all the stuff I have read on overflow/ return set up I don't think anyone has bought that point up!.

Edited by Bryce - September 30 2013 at 12:07pm
65g Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic