Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

iphone underwater cases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: iphone underwater cases
    Posted: September 20 2013 at 10:22pm
I've been thinking long about buying an expensive macro lens for my digital camera. I think the cheapest decent lens though, even used, is going to be about $200 and even then, I don't know what kind of pics it can take to reach the corals way in the back. I tried buying extension tubes and really just can't get it to work well. They come out blurry, dark and a very narrow depth of field. I really like how my regular iPhone 5 camera takes pics and captures the lighting for corals close to the glass though. Only problem is, I can't get close enough to most of the corals in my tank. I even bought an awesome macro magnetic lens for $6 but you need to be within an inch of the coral. After reading here about a DIY underwater camera thing, it just occurred to me (i'm a bit slow) that they make underwater cases for iPhones. I've seen them on ebay from $11 to well over $100. Anyone have any experience with these? Especially the cheap ones. It's a big risk to put a very expensive iPhone underwater. I've even seen instructions on how to make a DIY waterproof case out of a condom and glue but that seems a bit too risky for me. 

Anyway, just wondering if anyone's tried it and how it works for them. I just have a nano tank so I could get to almost any section of the tank I think with an iPhone underwater. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 10:28am
Life Proof cases
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 10:39am
Thought of that. They're expensive.
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 10:54am
What type of camera are you using? How far do you need to be able to shoot?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 10:55am
Dave -

On sale here - price seems pretty reasonable to me

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 7:25pm
Indeed. that's a good price. However, they don't have any for iPhone 5. I'll keep looking though for a similar deal. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Jacknugget View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacknugget Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 9:52am
I've tested the life proof cover and can attest to the quality. I wouldn't hesitate dunking it into my tank.
125 Mixed Reef
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 10:13am
Originally posted by peiji peiji wrote:

Indeed. that's a good price. However, they don't have any for iPhone 5. I'll keep looking though for a similar deal. 

It says they do...

Edited by reefnfeef - September 26 2013 at 10:13am
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 10:29am
They are all sold out. I've spent hours of research on the best underwater cases. There are a lot of different options and in almost every case, I can find some reviews of water leakage. I'm still deciding what to get but I'm more and more convinced that this will be a better option than buying a macro lens. However, I can't find anyone that has actually done this and posted pics so I can see the quality. I've seen video clips but the quality appears to be less than idea. I'm surprised no one has done this unless it doesn't work well. Hence, i started this post to see if anyone tried it. 
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2013 at 11:24am
I have seen someone do this and it seemed to work quite well. I don't remember the brand of case they had though.

Anyways, do you mind telling me what type of camera you have, and what lenses you have? Depending on the camera/lens set up there are settings and cheap accessories that can help boost range.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic