Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best way to get rid of hard water stains

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to get rid of hard water stains
    Posted: August 19 2013 at 12:22am
Just curious to what everybody uses to get rid of hard water stains on the in side of an aquarium I've tried soaking vinegar and water but that didn't work
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 5:14am
If you clean it well afterwards...use CLR.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 8:39am
Muratic acid.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 3:35pm
Straight white vinegar, not diluted.

I understand that CLR should not be put on the silicone. I hear that silicone absorbs the CLR and causes toxicity problems later for the tank inhabitants.

If it were me, I would set the tank on it's side and soak the calcium deposit in a puddle of undiluted white vinegar, then use a straight edge razor blade to scrape it off. If after all that the glass has etching, that means it was a freshwater tank that was left alone for months while the water evaporated, etching the glass as it dried up.Disapprove 

White Vinegar is not harmful. A quick rinse afterward is all that is required.

Did you know that soaking in white vinegar dissolves those irritating Bristleworm bristles that got left in your hand/finger when picking up LR?

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 19 2013 at 3:39pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2013 at 4:40pm
The tank has hard water stains and let a hazing on the entire inside I will get a pic when I get home
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 5:03am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I understand that CLR should not be put on the silicone. I hear that silicone absorbs the CLR and causes toxicity problems later for the tank inhabitants.

I was not implying that the tank should be soaked in CLR. If you use a rag and apply the CLR directly to the hard water stains, wipe it off, and rinse, there should be no future issues.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 9:42am
I have never used CLR, just passing on what I had heard the other day from Kris Fidone at Fish-4-U when I told him of my recent system crash. I believe it was caused by just a drop of triple strength liquid laundry detergent. I lost all SPS, all LPS, and all snails. Kris told me that even after 20 total water changes, the effect of CLR residual in the silicone had still caused problems for a hobbyist.

Nikki is an awesome hobbyist and very helpful. She and I would both be horrified to learn that CLR had caused problems later on.

It sounds like the vinegar has already removed the deposits and unfortunately, uncovered the hard water etching. I'm sorry. I don't know anything practical that will smooth out etched glass.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 12:23pm
I have used CLR with no deleterious effects. As with all products, it can be misused. As long as the clr is applied to a rag on the glass only and rinsed properly, there should not be any issues. It is up to the OP as to what risk he is willing to accept. If the tank is so bad that he can't see through it and vinegar hasnt worked, he may be willing to try something else rather than to trash it. CLR has removed stains that straight vinegar couldn't remove for me.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 3:23pm
here is a pic of you really can't see through the glass I forgot to mention that this wont be used has an aquarium
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 3:01pm
Well I tried clr today and it didn't work I have been reading online and they say toothpaste can remove light scratches so would it take off the etching too ?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 3:27pm
Ugh, so it's etched? Toothpaste may help slightly, but the amount of elbow grease you'd have to put into it may not be worth it. I'd look for professional glass polishing compound and a buffer...or a new tank. Etched glass is just miserable to deal with.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 5:40pm
Cerium oxide and a buffer...
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2013 at 5:42pm
Where can I buy that
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic