Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best DIY sump design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best DIY sump design
    Posted: July 23 2013 at 5:54pm
I decided to make my own sump for my new tank.  I located a used 50 gallon that will work.  I don't have a stand yet but likely the inside dimensions will be 15 inches wide.   The display is a 150 gallon tank with dual corner overflows.  It looks like one inch inner diameter drains.

The 50 gallon tank that I plan on getting is 4 feet long and 13 inches wide.  Approximately 19-20 inches tall.

I have never had a sump on a tank before so I checked the internet for sump options.  I found many baffle installation designs.  Which one is best?

Requirements:  place for two drains to pass through filter socks, section for skimmer, place for 2 heaters, largest refugium section possible, section for return pump. 

I am leaning towards a magdrive 12 for my return pump and split the plumbing to run to both returns. Options?

Skimmer?  unknown.  I was looking at the bubble magus curve 7 at The Aquarium.

Any input is appreciated.  Thanks!

Edited by DMower - July 23 2013 at 7:38pm
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 6:19pm
If you want to come see mine I built out of a 40 breeder you are more then welcome and I will help you build it if you need help. You would just need the acrylic peices and I can cut them to the size you want....mine seems great to me, 3 sections (inlet and skimmer, refugium, return pump) and into the return pump section has a bubble trap
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 6:29pm
badfinger,

How did you secure the inlets and filter socks?  Why acrylic vs glass?  Thanks!
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 6:52pm
Inlets aren't "secured" but that parts easy, mine just hang but havnt had an issue on my last tank in 3 years. ....I have a 40breeder so its glass. I chose acrylic baffles cause I am able to cut them with tools I have
96slowbra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 96slowbra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2013 at 6:59pm
look at tyler's website and see how his sumps are built. it one of the most common setups with a fuge

http://www.elite-aquatics.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=37&product_id=5
105 rimless
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 7:51am
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and my experience with doing this set up. It is not intended to force anyone to do it my way but only to give information and ideas on how it might be done.

Aloha Darren,

I agree with what you said about wanting the "largest Refugium section possible." Is this going to have sand or just bare bottom with algae?

I would do a sand bed of 2" Oolitic with a 1/2" crushed coral top layer. I would place the Mag Drive return pump on a pedestal on top of the sand and also set the Skimmer on the sand. This tank sounds like it may be a standard 55 which is 21" tall, but even at 19" there is plenty of water depth for the equipment and still enough height for the water to drain when the pump stops. The drain line would lead into a filter sock which would prevent disturbance of the sandbed. The skimmer would be placed next, just downstream from the drain/filter sock. This design would allow the entire 4' tank to be a Refugium. I would make the stand tall enough that there was at least 8" of opening above to get into and work in the Refugium.

Below are pics of a setup I did with a 40 gal breeder, though it had no sand bed because the sand bed above was plenty. The pics were taken maybe 4 months after setup. A swamp cooler pump strainer placed upside down works great for the pedestal. with the pump sitting in another strainer to keep Macroalgae out. This strainer works great for placing media bags for AC, etc. next to the pump intake thereby avoiding the need for a media reactor. The Utah Rock was there to prepare it for mounting frags. It was later removed as the Refugium filled with Macroalgae. This was built for maximum efficiency/$.

Mahalo and have fun,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 10:52am
I wouldn't recommend acrylic for baffles in a glass tank. Acrylic will expand a slight bit when submerged in water over a period of time. If your baffles are a tight fit, it will break the tank sooner or later i have seen it happen many times.

Having said that, if you do use acrylic cut the baffles so there is at least a 1/16th to an 1/8th inch gap on both sides and fill with silicone when you install them. Your chances of it breaking will be less. Glass is always a better choice though.

Edited by Elite-Aquatics - July 24 2013 at 10:53am
Premium aquarium filtration!
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2013 at 12:17pm
I broke a glass tank with acrylic dividers
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 5:12pm
Well, I no longer need to build a sump.  I found a used acrylic 45x16x16 (50 gallon) in excellent condition for a good price.  Its a model the aquarium sells.  I will just have to have the stand built slightly wider so that it will fit. 

Still need a skimmer and return pump.  Any suggestions?  What works fell for you? 
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2013 at 5:24pm
I really like the new CADlights pipeless skimmers. I am running the nano on my 29 gallon and have been getting great results. At work we're running one of the larger models (I believe the PLS-400 but it could be the PLS-300) and have been getting great results there as well.

I would recommend the PLS-200 for your setup.

As for the return pump I would use a Mag 12, 18, or even the Mag 24. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic