Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lairds 50 Gallon CAD Cube.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lairds 50 Gallon CAD Cube.
    Posted: June 30 2013 at 12:11pm
So I got this tank after Ch3tt posted that he got one. I loved the tank immediately ran and picked one up from the same place he just got his, birdworld. I also had always wanted a smaller cube tank because I really admired snowsfrs old CAD. So all the credit for me wanting this tank goes to those two.

I'm going to turn it into a SPS dominate tank. I'm starting over on SPS since none of my old SPS survived the crash. I still have a lot of LPS that i'm moving over to this tank but i'm going to get rid of most of it once I decide what looks best in it.

Equipment
CAD 2, 50 gallon cube with starefire glass.
CADs Sump
MP10WES with Battery backup
Custom aluminum arm from Brett that holds the Radion Gen 2
Eshopps cone skimmer
BRS Media Reatoc for Carbon and GFO
Marine Magic triple dosing Pump
APEX with WXM Module
Tropic Eden Sand
Shelf Rock

Just like how I wanted to originally do my 180 gallon design I wanted to do a very minimalistic bonsai look. I wanted to have really good circulation of water so no big mountains against the wall or anything like that. I didn't want a lot of rock because I wanted to leave a lot of swim room for fish. I'm way to attached to most of my fish so i'm going to be really packing them into this 50 gallon.

I thought about having Vida build me a rock because I had a very specific design in my head, but decided to just try and build it myself. Found some great rock MickeyB and set off to figure out how to make it work. ReefdUP suggested drilling holes and zip tying the rock together.   When Ch3tt heard I was doing this he suggested using synthetic rods to help support so I did a combination. Got a base rock, and a bunch of shelf pieces and put hoes and rods down the middle. I wish I would have taken some pics of the process but I wasn't thinking Its still a work in progress but I'm happy with where its at right now.

Whats really cool is each of those arms and top piece are all on its own pivot point. So I can swivel them around however I like wherever I like.

Lots of good real estate for SPS.

The tank had just water and rock in it for about two weeks. Then I added the new sand and had that for about another 3 weeks. Then moved over some test frags for a week. Then a test fish for another week. Then last week I moved over the majority of my coral. The coral all went through a pretty rigorous dipping regiment that was a little too thorough. A bunch of pieces came out of it pretty damaged. Luckily they all recovered just fine.

Edited by Laird - June 30 2013 at 12:12pm
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 12:47pm
Why does it saying pending approval?

50 Gallon rimless cube.
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 8:34pm
Nice setup, I really dig the rock work. Following
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 9:03pm
Looking very nice Laird! This came together very nicely. It makes me super sad that i have to take mine down :( I'm excited to see this thing get stocked!
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 9:15pm
Looking good Laird. Sweet looking tank, good luck with it !
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2013 at 9:53pm
Loving it.

Miss my CAD.

Love the minimalist rock work. I'm a big of it for all the reasons you stated too.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 2:12pm
Cell phone pics.

Still have a few pieces that I havent put up on rocks but you get the idea. Now pretend that all those shelfs have SPS colonies growing on them, thats what it will be eventually, haha.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 2:17pm
Very nice!!!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 3:19pm
Looking good!

1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2013 at 3:21pm
I have seen this tank in person and it is amazing
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 12:03pm
low def video

Edited by Laird - July 06 2013 at 12:13pm

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 12:05pm
Beautiful! I can't wait to come see it in person.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 1:03pm
Very pretty!

lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 1:51pm
Looking good!!!

220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2013 at 2:15pm
That's the exact setup o want.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic