Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Utah winter greenhouse?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Utah winter greenhouse?
    Posted: May 13 2014 at 8:50am
To answer your questions let me put it this way. Many many years ago, as a kid, I remember being in Timpanogos cave where the Ranger told us the temperature stays at around 50-55 all year. The PAHS(Passive Annual Heat Storage) and AGS(Annualized Geo Solar) concept is that we create a cave designed to keep the greenhouse at 65-85 all year.

Yes, those automatic vents are awesome but may be unnecessary.
The adjustable louvers/blinds for control of visible light will be outside to control the amount of summer heat that enters the structure.
If solar panels are used, it will be for running water pumps to further reduce dependence on purchased electricity.

This last winter, I came to the realization that ground water in the cave may be counter productive to keeping the greenhouse at 65-85 degrees.

* I just had another epiphany.* Why can't the insulating umbrella be just lightly covered with a protective layer of dirt rather than 2 feet underground?  What other changes could be made to this insulation umbrella which is meant to be a barrier to heat draining precipitation and moderator of seasonal temperature extremes?

It's time to revise the drawings.

Aloha Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 13 2014 at 9:34am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
simpleyork View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simpleyork Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 2:47pm
hey they do have vents that will open and close by themselves depending on the tempurature of the greenhouse   http://www.simplysolargreenhouses.com/vents2.html  , no electricity needed, on another thought, blinds used to reflect the light/heat some can help keep it cooler. Another idea are fans that are using solar panels for their electricity.
sorry if this is a repeat 

Edited by simpleyork - May 12 2014 at 2:53pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 10:03am
Update:
We have been checking into the local greenhouses that use geothermal heating. They still use electrically operated evaporative cooling in the summer. Some are pretty much abandoned and in disrepair. Looking at these as a possible interim facility, I'm not convinced. It feels to me like a compromise solution. Is it the right thing?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2014 at 9:43am
Thanks for posting that Jeremy.

Aloha Andrew,

Please contact me at [email protected] or 808-345-1049.

There are only a few other places I have found that used the earth sheltered concepts for a greenhouse, but they used only partial AGS/PAHS concepts. My goal is to use a fully subsurface method of cooling and heating to completely eliminate the need for electrical cooling and heating equipment and monthly bills.

Solar tubes are good. I also installed one on my previous home. Lighting is actually not a problem but for the size of greenhouse I have envisioned, too many solar tubes would be required to light dozens of coral farm troughs. The need is an ability to adjust louvers on south facing glazing to bring in more sunlight during Winter Solstice and yet restrict sunlight during Summer Solstice.

Aloha Hug
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2014 at 4:02pm
Mark this is from an email I got from a Gentleman named Andrew: 

I am not particularly interested in coral, but I was searching for references on walipini and insulation and the thread on Mark Peterson's dugout greenhouose, "Utah winter greenhouse?", came up.  I have a couple of comments/questions for Mark:

Are there other examples of PAHS (or AGS) being applied to greenhouses?

I have a 21" diameter solar tube with a 12' vertical run to my first floor kitchen.  It puts out a tremendous amount of light.  I purchased it through the local Velux dealer in Salt Lake (the box stores don't carry the larger units).  I had to cobble together my installation using a residential kit and two rigid-tube sections from a commercial kit (the flexible tube would not work with the long run and I wanted the round diffuser of the residential kit).  I also have two 10" units upstairs that illuminate a 40' hallway.  One would have been sufficient.

I think that an 18" or 21" solar tube might provide enough light for a large tank, especially if you brought the rigid tube fairly close to the water's surface (leaving enough room to work).  A well insulated shed could house the tanks.  That being said, I like the idea of combining walipini and PAHS elements.

Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 12:21pm
J&J Nursery in Layton is open year round but not sure what they use for heating.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2013 at 11:53am
I can't see why anyone would.  I'd go with gas as well.  Maybe someone out there has gone passive that I just haven't seen yet.  Dessert Garden just closed for the year.... right?  I really like their greenhouses.  You may be able to just wonder around there.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 10:36pm
Yeah, nice place. The Salt Lake store has huge heaters that burn a lot of natural gas and use a lot of coal generated electricity. That's a lot of CO2 emission. I also know that not too long ago one of the two stores had an electrical mishap for a day resulting in the loss of plants totaling thousands of dollars. I'm wondering if any greenhouse around here has attempted a smaller carbon footprint by using reliable passive solar-earth heating and cooling?
Ideas anyone?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 8:43pm
Plant greenhouses aren't uncommon at all.  I spend a lot of time at Cactus & Tropicals.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2013 at 8:26pm
Looking for winter operating local greenhouses. Smile

The design has come together pretty good for keeping the greenhouse cool in the hot summer, but as the weather grows ever colder, now I'm concerned about ensuring it stays warm on the freezing cloudy days/nights of winter. Lately I find myself more concerned with the aspect of making this facility with an extremely small carbon footprint, than I am about it's eventual use as a coral farm! Smile

I went to my sacred place of inspiration the other day where I have received much inspiration for this project. I had the distinct feeling that a wintertime visit to local Orchid Growers/Farmers would be beneficial. I went to the Utah Orchid Society website but contacting someone there is not as easy as our forum. If anyone knows of a greenhouse in Utah that operates during the winter, please let me know.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 12:03pm
Isn't it amazing how necessity is the mother of invention!

Again I say Aloha.

In a recent conversation, Corey emphasized to me that this coral greenhouse is a Proof of Concept (POC), built small scale to demonstrate that the idea works. Out of necessity, as mentioned in a previous post, our POC Subsurface Coral Greenhouse has been scaled down.

Some of the best contributors to this concept felt that the previous plans did not allow sufficient diffused light and yet allowed too much direct infrared radiation(heat). Revision 10 of the drawings are included below with improvements:
- Glazing is enlarged to an area approximately 8'x30' (includes the top half of the east end).
- Adjustable shutters allow full winter solar radiation yet allow only diffused summer radiation.

Cross section side view

Cross section top view

As always, suggestions are welcomed.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 11:45pm
Hello everyone,

Do you recognize the names Sprung, Moe, Perrin, Delbeek, Headlee, Shimik, Calfo, Michael, Paletta, Borneman, Thiel, Pro, Miller and Blundell? You have likely come into the hobby standing on the shoulders of the giants that have gone before. These are just a few of the ordinary people who did extraordinary things both great and small. We are very appreciative of their work, their accomplishments and their contribution to the marine hobby.

I would like to introduce myself. I have been a reef hobbyist since 1993. During the last 20 years the Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society, which I helped found, paid for many of those pioneers to come to Salt Lake as guest speakers. When they arrived, a few of us took time to meet and visit with our guest speakers before and after the club meetings. We did this in order to learn as much as we could.

As you know, a few of us are currently attempting to do something that has never been done before. It is a pioneering endeavor, built on the work of all those pioneers who have come before. I hope we can count on all of you to help in a positive way with positive suggestions regarding this pioneering endeavor.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049  call or text anytime

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 02 2013 at 11:47pm
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Aloha y'all,

The design for the coral greenhouse has significantly changed. Drawing revision number 8 is in the works. Following your advice I checked the Riverton City building codes. Any structure with a floor space 200 square feet or less needs no approval/inspection.

That is a very creative reading of that building code .. just sayin ...
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2013 at 10:30am
Aloha y'all,

The design for the coral greenhouse has significantly changed. Drawing revision number 8 is in the works. Following your advice I checked the Riverton City building codes. Any structure with a floor space 200 square feet or less needs no approval/inspection.

We want to keep this thing under the radar, intending it to be a pilot facility. A 20'x10' greenhouse should work out perfect. Corey Price suggests it be built as a "Proof of Concept", a miniature of the larger facility we hope to build. A small structure will allow this and still keep costs low.

The other major revision has to do with how much sunlight to admit. Than Thein (Tidal Gardens) emphasized that coral require much less sunlight than a full greenhouse provides, yet in the winter SPS coral growth slows because of lack of light. I'm actually seeing the effects of too much sunlight in my tank sitting in the full days sunlight of an unobstructed south facing window! With this in mind the revised design, utilizing translucent glazing, minimizes summer sunlight and encourages winter sunlight, hopefully Embarrassed.

This will also minimize summer heat which has been a major concern emphasized by David Allen the builder/occupant of a passive solar home here in Utah.

Regarding the coral systems, skimmers will be a must, to keep coral safe in the case of mishap. The ability to do real time monitoring with controllers will be important too, since there will be no reason for a person to be in the greenhouse most of the day. This is what Bob was thinking, from his quote in the OP, right?

Thanks for reading. As always, we are open to suggestions because we cannot find where this has been done before.

Mahalo,
Mark

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 02 2013 at 10:36am
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 10:54am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Did they mention this to you while you were at the Tropicorium?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/23448299/tropicorium-employees-charged-with-federal-wildlife-crimes
That may explain my Mark didn't see much in the way of corals there, if in fact his business was illegally harvesting coral. 
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 10:52am
Nope.
That news video gives a good view of the place. Smile
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 10:06am
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 7:35am
Originally posted by Fatman Fatman wrote:

Also, if this needs a building permit I'll bet because it's an unusual type of structure they'll probably want an engineering certification on it before they approve it. 

Yes, the structure needs to be engineered.

Mark,

We should start to talk about that engineering.

Also, I think we should talk to a mechanical engineer about the heat load versus the ground cooling capacity.

Corey
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 9:11am

A "cave" made from ~2 ft. diameter metal pipe, set 8-10 feet deep surrounds the greenhouse to provide a constant earth temperature of 50-60 degrees for summer cooling and winter warming.

The three Coral Spas (free, old hot tubs) and a Trombe wall will absorb and radiate solar heat.

Top view:

Approximately 1500 gallons of water act as thermal storage surrounded by the amazing thermal storage of the dry earth. An insulation umbrella will moderate/even out the heat of summer and cold of winter and reduce the effect of freezing snowmelt and cooling rain.

We wish to voice our appreciation to the many who have already expressed, publicly and privately, their interest in helping see this project come to fruition.
Continued questions and comments are welcomed Smile

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text anytime

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 27 2013 at 1:09pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 8:56am
Aloha,

Three days later we dropped in on Tidal Gardens early Saturday morning September 13, 2013. Than Thein was so kind to make time for us. He was very interested in our plans for a subsurface greenhouse and I hope to have further contact with him. Than was very open and extremely helpful. He gave me some tips about what is important and what he would do different next time. The visit to Tidal Gardens was very productive. Many thanks to Than Thein. Tidal Gardens uses the internet very effectively. While Tropicorium has very little internet sales, Than said that his sales are mostly via the internet. Part of the reason can be seen just by comparing the two websites.

A tour and history of the greenhouse is right on their website. Here is the link: http://www.tidalgardens.com/aquaculture-greenhouse-coral-farm-a/253.htm

Here are the pics I took:

Owner Than Thein:

Embarrassed I'm a little embarrassed to say, but these are all my pics of Tidal Gardens.
I got so enthralled with the cleanliness and organization of the facility that most of what I have from the visit is a confirmation in my mind of how a coral farm greenhouse ought to be. Than took some of his valuable time to sit down with me (very nice to have a chair to sit on in the greenhouse) and discuss it all. Big smile

Next: latest drawings - almost ready to begin excavating Thumbs Up

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 27 2013 at 9:46am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic