Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help, long purple tip anemone struggling!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Motherofdragons View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motherofdragons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help, long purple tip anemone struggling!!
    Posted: April 23 2013 at 8:35pm
This is kind of a bummer that my first post is this. 
My husband and I bought our anemone at fragstock (I think this was april 4th?) We were hoping it would find a spot but it seems to be having a hard time. From the looks of it its not doing so well. His mouth has been open. When we bought him they had him displayed in a bag for i'm not sure how long. Could this be a reason why he is stressed? All parameters are correct levels. Does anyone have any advice on how we can help reduce stress or any ideas what could be wrong? please help! Thank you! I'm really worried because its been so long and our anemone hasn't found a spot yet.Cry Here are some pictures. Sorry about the weird angle on the anemone pictures Not sure why they came out sideways..

The whole tank. 125 gallonspic 2pic 1
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 8:41pm
Need a bit more info on your tank, parameters, lighting, how long it has been set up?
Did you try to put in on a rock by kind of holding it there for a minute. We also need a pic of the mouth side.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motherofdragons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 8:56pm
Temp: 77
alkalinity: 4.0
Calcium:470
Magnesium:1320
Salinity: 1.023
lighting: (2) 165 watts LED Blue and white lights from live rock and reef
Tank: 125 gallons
Sump: 40 gallon
Protein skimmer : Cora life 100 gallon 

We have had our tank for about 11 months. 

We did try holding it but it wont attach we also tried to surround it with rocks but it shriveled up so we removed the rocks. Here is a better picture of the mouth...
reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 9:00pm
Your alk is low if it is indeed 4 dkh
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Motherofdragons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 9:16pm
Do you have any suggestions? My PH is at 8.2 could my alkalinity really be the problem?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2013 at 9:35pm
Are you measuring in meq/l or dKh for alkalinity? If you're measuring in meq/l, then that's slightly high (but not detrimentally so.) If you're measuring in dKh, then that's waaay too low, and I'm going to guess your test kit is bad considering how low stocked the tank is.

I'm not familiar with those LEDs (can anyone else chime in on them?) Are you keeping any coral in the tank? If so, could you post a picture? That'll give me an idea of what sort of corals the lights may support.

How about ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

Are you feeding it?

If the anemone was stressed due to being in a bag almost a month ago, you probably would've noticed the issue within a day or two. If it was unhealthy, it probably would've died or healed up by now.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2013 at 12:26am
You can give it some food and see if it perks up.. It looks healthy enough to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic