Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nano Drop-off Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nano Drop-off Reef
    Posted: April 11 2013 at 7:41pm
Ever since I saw philippe grosjean's drop-off reef (http://reefbuilders.com/2012/01/04/reef-dropoff-aquarium/) I've wanted something like it, I however don't have much space. Last August, I decided I'd make a nano version of it out and took to Google SketchUp to design one. It ended up being between 10 and 15 gallons and has a RO reservoir box inside of about 2-3 gallons. Here's a pic once I finished the design:

Once I had that finished I went to Delvies plastics with my dimensions of the many pieces I needed. They were great to deal with! Building it was pretty easy, it was just very time consuming to scrape all the edges so that they were smooth-ish. I didn't get any pics of the build process, but here's some pics of when i finished it:

Here's the side after I painted it

That was all done last August. For the months since its just been sitting around in the way. Last month I decided I was ready to set it up. I put new super fine sand in it and live rock and water from my friend. The two main pieces in the tank are vida rock, so hopefully it becomes live soon. For now i have random pieces of regular live rock in the back overflow and behind the arch. Here it is at that point:

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 7:44pm
I like it, however the thing I really like about the tank in the link is the dramatic drop off. Yours looks cool but not as deep of a drop off so to speak. Nice job though, it looks great!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 7:51pm
Wow! That tank in your link is awesome! This is a great idea! Cant wait to see this thing all full!
Try, try, try, then give up!
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 7:52pm
I want built this aquarium to be one where I could keep(and actually see) some of there cool little inverts that are out there. Here's my current livestock:
ocellaris clownfish 
yasha goby/candy candy stripe pistol shrimp
Hi-fin goby
2 bumble bee shrimp
white spot anemone shrimp
glass shrimp
porcelain crab

I hope to be getting other cool shrimp in the future, like sexy shrimp and pederson shrimp, along with more porcelain crabs.

Here are some pics I took today:

Here's a couple pics of a couple cool things I picked up yesterday:
Green and pink florida ricordea with its body guard, a glass shrimp

Euphyllia Yaeyamaensis

Edited by rize2 - April 11 2013 at 7:56pm
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

I like it, however the thing I really like about the tank in the link is the dramatic drop off. Yours looks cool but not as deep of a drop off so to speak. Nice job though, it looks great!

Haha yeah, I made mine so that it will fit on my kitchen counter. And I didn't wan't to go deeper than 12 inches because I was told I'd need thicker acrylic. Someday though, I hope to have one as deep as his.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 7:55pm
That glass shrimp is awesome! and so is the euphyllia!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by rize2 rize2 wrote:

Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Haha yeah, I made mine so that it will fit on my kitchen counter. And I didn't wan't to go deeper than 12 inches because I was told I'd need thicker acrylic. Someday though, I hope to have one as deep as his.

Cool it still looks great and will be amazing all filled in. I like your stocking as well.
Jackie Stuver

rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 7:58pm
The glass shrimp is funny because when I get close to the aquarium he freaks out waving his arms all crazy. I took a video but don't know how to upload it.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2013 at 8:06pm
WAYYYY COOL!
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 10:34am
Originally posted by tfmreefs tfmreefs wrote:

WAYYYY COOL!

+1

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 10:36am
Looks awesome!!
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2013 at 11:34am
Thanks guys! Here's some invert pics:

This is the one spot anemone shrimp

If you look closely you can see the pellet my glass shrimp just ate. 

Edited by rize2 - April 12 2013 at 12:31pm
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2013 at 11:45am
Heres some pics I took with my new camera

rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 11:37am
Here's my favorite mushroom! The mother looks amazing, this little one is still coloring up

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2013 at 4:07pm
Sweet!

chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 3:20pm
Are there an easy FTS updates? I really like this concept. And the tank looks great, too.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
chris.rogers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris.rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 3:22pm
Bah! Auto correct... "any updates" is what I meant.
Ils sont fous, ces Romains!
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2013 at 3:33pm
I'll get it cleaned up and take a FTS pic hopefully tomorrow
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 10:46pm
Here's some over due pics!

Heres some of my new corals:
Blondies

Naked Agave and Ecstasy Paly 

Maxi Mini Anemone

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2013 at 11:14pm
Nice, I have a colony of naked agave love them:)
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic