Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Krazie's Nano Paradise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 1:09pm
Ya, for what your talking about it almost makes sense to have a Pi talking to an Arduino that is controlling the hardware side of things. That way neither one is burdened with the tasks that the other one is best at.  Krazie

Edited by Krazie4Acans - December 15 2014 at 1:09pm
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 1:16pm
Interested in total cost of the board once you add up all the components. There are some fairly modestly priced 5 channel boards on ebay, but the addition of the fan channel makes your build very attractive. 

LDD700Hs alone are like 6 bucks a piece at best.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 1:24pm
My entire board with all components comes in less than $80 complete.

You haven't found the grail on the LDD's yet. I didn't pay 6 bucks for any of mine. The SCW converter is the most expensive part of my boards. My new ones will probably not use that part and opt for another style converter. Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 1:26pm
Super slick Jeff, under $80. Color me impressed. Hope you're charging enough for these light systems. Lot of love and sweat going into them.

I'll continue my search for the holy LDD grail. We should get together soon and get high off of soldering fumes. I owe you some labor hours LOL

Edited by Pete Moss - December 15 2014 at 1:31pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
colesnwbds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colesnwbds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 2:18pm
I've appreciated this thread from the get go.

Recently I've been looking to add some more color to my Intermediate series jbj, and I was thinking I would be looking at several hundred dollars, but $80?

Wow.  That's impressive.

I would be very intereasted in a product listing :)
"Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones."

— William Shakespeare
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2014 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by colesnwbds colesnwbds wrote:

I've appreciated this thread from the get go.

Recently I've been looking to add some more color to my Intermediate series jbj, and I was thinking I would be looking at several hundred dollars, but $80?

Wow.  That's impressive.

I would be very intereasted in a product listing :)

Keep in mind the $80 is just for the controller board with the drivers. You still have to add the other parts to the list as well (heatsync, LEDs, power supply, cables). If you are talking about modifying a stock hood like I did then the LEDs and heatsync are already handled (unless you want to change some of the colors).

You can also just change a few LEDs out in the strings that are already there if you don't need dimming or control-ability. Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
rbtron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 2:16pm

Just bought a JBJ nano28 for the wife last month on the black Friday and curious do you have to remove the stock filters tray to accommodate for the AquaMaxx HOB skimmer? Thank

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 2:25pm
No.  You can use the stock basket  (or the Intank basket)  with the skimmer. I do have to shift the skimmer to the side a tiny bit to get the basket out for maintenance. Easy and I don't have to shut the skimmer off.  Krazie 
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
rbtron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 2:37pm

Thanks, I will be working on the light next, do you know that you can order ldd driver at this site.  I found this vendor is the cheapest. http://www.powergatellc.com/mean-well-ldd-h-power-supply.html

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 3:21pm
I ordered from them before.  The last time I ordered from them they canceled my order because they are wholesale and aren't supposed to sell privately.  They also run out of parts quite often.  So keep those things in mind.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
rbtron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 3:35pm
Oh, they usually good to me may be because I have an account with them a while back (I am retired now), I call them before placing an order, they usually let me know if the parts are in stock.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 3:48pm
Their website will tell you if they are in Stock.  I have an account with them as well but they have just recently been checking to see if it's a business or retail sale.  It may still work for you just be prepared in case. There are plenty on other sources.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
rbtron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 4:28pm

OK thank, beside that company what others are you using? Digikey, Mouser, Jameco are the other companies that I am using but mostly components not power source.  Anyway how do you like your AquaMaxx HOB?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 4:42pm
Usually mouser because I'm buying other components as well.  I've really liked the skimmer.  It was a little touchy to get the band in the right spot to start,  but since then it has been good.  Keep the cup clean and clear the air line once a week and you will be good to go.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
rbtron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbtron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2014 at 4:52pm
Would it need some sort of tray underneath the skimmer incase you forget to empty the cup to catch the spill over? I am looking at an used Aquamaxx HOB like your but not sure what is a reasonable price to offer?
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 8:53am
Hey,

Nice set up! I wish I was as able to create my own LEDs but I am definitely the opposite of mechanically inclined.

Anyway, I saw you had an image of this: CB Frost Bites.

Do you have any of these you are willing to sell? I saw some in a forum and I love the color!

Marcos

Edited by Marcoss - January 26 2015 at 8:53am
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 9:00am
Oh Krazy, what is the max amperage out of each channel on your arduino board?

Edited by Pete Moss - January 26 2015 at 9:01am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 9:31am
That all depends on which LDD you put on the board for that channel. My board is designed for the LDD-H series which comes in flavors from 350ma - 1000ma. So you could have one channel running 500ma, a couple running at 750ma and the rest running at 1000ma all on the same board. It's upto you and what LED's you attach. Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Marcoss Marcoss wrote:

Hey,

Nice set up! I wish I was as able to create my own LEDs but I am definitely the opposite of mechanically inclined.

Anyway, I saw you had an image of this: CB Frost Bites.

Do you have any of these you are willing to sell? I saw some in a forum and I love the color!

Marcos

Sorry Marcos, I lost that frag in a bryopsis outbreak in my tank. I plan on getting more but gotta finish up the clean up in the tank first.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

That all depends on which LDD you put on the board for that channel. My board is designed for the LDD-H series which comes in flavors from 350ma - 1000ma. So you could have one channel running 500ma, a couple running at 750ma and the rest running at 1000ma all on the same board. It's upto you and what LED's you attach. Krazie

How fun! I was wondering if you had an adjustable SVR2 set up, or just used different LDDs.

Would it even be possible to have SVR2 on each channel? That's beyond my know-how for sure.

On a side note, if I ever get bryopsis again, I'm rage-quitting the hobby.

Edited by Pete Moss - January 26 2015 at 10:42am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic