Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Krazie's Nano Paradise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 4:42pm
Beautiful for sure!

08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 10:31am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Good Choice. What pump are you gonna use?

Just going to use the included pump.

Your new additions are beautiful!

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - December 06 2013 at 10:31am
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 10:32am
Ok, just watch the head height on that little pump.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2013 at 8:33am
Have a few new pieces of equipment ordered that I am really looking forward to! Can't wait for them to get here so I can set them up and start playing!

Edited by Krazie4Acans - December 11 2013 at 8:33am
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 6:04pm
I know it's been forever since I posted on this tread. I got all kinds of backed up on my projects due to an algae outbreak in my tank and then my controller decided to have a melt down.

The controller is now running again and the algae is receding but not gone. I've got some more CUC coming in to help finish up the rest.

I posted that I had some new stuff coming in that I would be working on. It got a little ugly but now I believe all the correct parts are on their way.

As you might be able to tell from this thread I have kind of gotten the LED fixture bug and have been spending quite a bit of (more) time researching and then designing some things for my systems. While I like the retro fit I did on my stock hood and the dimmer control that I now have I wanted to go a step further as I have a controller and I want to be able to control the lights with it as well as have control of my lights remotely.

So after looking at what Fatman was doing on a small driver board he was using (and posted info on the forums here) I decided to design my own. Well, what started out as a driver board became a bit more. Here are the primer/teaser pics of what I'm doing.

I designed a circuit board that will allow up to 6 channels of control. It uses Meanwell LDD-H drivers. It also has a microcontroller on it that allows it to be programmed to do different things. The original intent of the controller was to provide a converter to go from the 0-10V analog dimming signal and convert it to PWM for the drivers on the board. That has evolved a bit but will still be the main function for the one I'm putting on my 28g nano. The board also has an input for a temperature sensor and connections for 2 fans. This allows me to use the same setup to be a stand alone Light controller for my other tanks.

I created a custom cable that connects to my Apex variable speed ports and then will connect to my new circuit board using an Ethernet cable. This will provide all 4 channels of control from the Apex and then the other two channels are controlled in software on the board (paired with one of the other outputs).

The circuit boards are ordered and have been shipped and I have most of the other parts already here. I am just waiting for the last few parts and the boards to get here so that I can build up a couple to test out. I have already written the code to do the 0-10V to PWM controls for the first tank. The code for the stand alone LED controller is almost done as well.

I bought a MakersLED heatsink and a new Lumia 5.2 dream chip (all Cree LEDs) that will be going on that heatsink. I designed the board so that it slides right into th egroove on the top of the heatsink so that no other mounting hardware is needed.

I'll be posting a bunch of new stuff about it as the build comes along! Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2014 at 8:57am
The last few parts get here this week! I got all of the chips and parts for the circuit boards (I.E. resistors, capacitors, diodes, LED's, Micro controllers, Real time clocks, batteries, etc...). The boards should be here this week and I can try and get one put together before the weekend.

I also built a DIY break out box for my Apex that will be replacing my JBJ Ato for topoff. I got in on the public beta for Fusion (Finally!) and have been playing around with the new feature of Lighting wizard that works with the var speed ports of the Apex. I have a starter set of tables created that I will be running the new LED's with as soon as I get them built up.

It's all getting close now and I can't wait to add these new toys to my setup! [:0]

Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 11:20am
I built the first board up and have everything populated minus a couple of diodes that I forgot to order and the input connectors that I ordered the wrong parts for. I took a bunch of pictures and will try and get them posted tonight. Can't wait to put this thing on the tank and see what it can do.

Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 5:56pm
Well here we go with some pics of the craziness.

Here is the pile of parts with all of the pieces and components.

Here is the heatsink that everything will be going on.

Here is the Lumia LED array with 5 Channels of LEDs

The start of soldering all the parts on the board.

Here is the board with the components partially soldered on. You can see the battery holder the Micro processor, the real time clock, and a couple of the headers.

Here is the board with all the parts and sockets soldered on (well minus the connectors that I ordered wrong and the two diodes that I forgot to order). The LDD drivers are in sockets so that they can be replaced or the amperage can be changed for use with other LED setups.

And this is the board with the LDDs and the SCW voltage converter installed. The board supports upto 6 channels of dimming. My LED array only has 5 channels and so the 6th channel will be used to control a couple of cooling fans that will only be turned on when the Heatsink temperature gets too warm. There is a temperature connector on the board just above the silver battery holder on the right hand side of the board. The blue jumper just to the left of that let's me choose whether the fans are controlled by channel 6 on the board or on all of the time.

Next is loading up the Microcontroller with the program and verifying that everything is working correctly. Then I will be building a second one to go over my frag tank. Krazie

My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 7:24pm
Drooling over here! Very awesome! Wish my electronics knowledge was this intense. I love the MakersLED heatsinks!
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 8:22pm
Your stuff is awesome. Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 8:47pm
ReefdUp I may have extras if you would like to get rid of all those Meanwell drivers and be able to dim to 0. Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2014 at 9:22pm
LOL! Pfffttttt! If I ever get more than 6 hours of sleep and don't have a baby crying, then maybe. BTW, funny story on my lights. They're awesome now. (We'll chat later.)
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2014 at 6:21pm
Probably time for an update. As most others know Summer usually doesn't leave much time for our boxes of water. Mine is not much different. So other than regular maintenance and a couple of corals. There hasn't been much change with the tank (unless you count the Briopsys outbreak that is almost gone now).

Most of my time was spent working on trying to get my new lights put together and working on the new 40B. During that time I had a few people (that saw my pictures I posted) ask me about building some lights for them. I was so busy I told most of them no. Besides I hadn't even finished the software for them yet. Finally I said yes to someone. So while my light is almost done. Someone else is going to actually have my personally designed lights on their tank before me. I'm still waiting for the last set of parts to show up so they aren't quite complete, but they are sooooo close.

Here are a couple of updated pics. This is the tank side of the fixture. It is completely wired and complete. I just need to add the plexi cover and the other end cap. I'm waiting to put those on until the top is done so that it doesn't get scratched.

Here is the almost complete top. The driver board is just waiting on those last connectors to get here so I can finish connecting the wires to them. Other than that they are finished. The driver boards can be mounted with the electronics up or down. I think they look cool up because you can see all the components and I have LEDs on the board that let me monitor the status of the board at a glance! .

As you can see from both of those pictures. These lights are neat, clean and good looking. Here is a sneak peak of what one lucky reefer is getting to put over his tank very soon!

That's 420 Watts of Cree and Exotic LED power in an incredibly neat and compact setup. Each fixture will have two small cables going to it. A two wire lamp cord type cable from the power supply to the board and an Ethernet cable that connects the fixtures together and then to the Apex. My tests show that you can hook 8 of these together on a single Apex! That would be an awesome setup. Anybody game? I know how to make them!   Krazie

My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2014 at 11:22pm
Very nicely done. I need to get with you to get some help on Eagle board design. I'm tired of trying to see the holes and line up the wires to get them in then soldering each one individually.
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 9:00pm
Let me know when sir. I'll see if I can fit you in. 
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 11:29am
Jeff, love the choice on the Lumia array :)

Have you seen their new 100's? Awesome stuff.

We should work on a raspberry pi controller together that gives full access to all channels and allows a true reciprocity of the wavelengths offered by the sun as it travels over the sky. Build the ultimate LED light and controller.

Edited by Pete Moss - December 15 2014 at 11:30am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 11:56am
I have seen (and maybe sampled) their new 100. Only slight difference from the 5.2's. It's starting to get harder to control and tune these things with so many channels.

I'm working on a newer version of my controller that is based on the Arduino Mega chip that does all channels (upto 16) and PWM 4096 steps. I'm not real big into the weather, sun movement effects as I am more worried about growth and color than effects and things that scare the fish. Also, unless you are running a very long tank, there is very little difference in light for a 4-6 foot section of the ocean during sunrise and sun set. It would be more about light angle and not so much spectrum that might be needed there. I haven't wanted (read that cared) about building a motorized rig to move my lights across the tank to simulate that. Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 12:22pm
Don't do Arduino :(

Raspberry Pi all the way.

http://readwrite.com/2014/05/07/arduino-vs-raspberry-pi-projects-diy-platform

I suppose the physical inputs and outputs are a plus when it comes to the arduino mega. Takes away the coding aspect. A raspberry pi can connect to a network though, so you could build an app to control your tank from your phone etc.

Seriously sexy work on the LEDs so far though. Had me drooling.

Edited by Pete Moss - December 15 2014 at 12:35pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 12:57pm
I use an Apex for my tanks so I can already control my board from my phone. That's why I didn't need the network interface on my current board. It was designed to work with other controllers or can be setup to be a stand alone LED controller (think Storm X or Typhoon).

My new Arduino based one adds network (wired and Wifi) as well as a full capability to be a full controller not just an LED controller. I'll have two boards, one with just LED connections and a second with all of the connections for probes, switches, relays etc to be a controller.

I personally prefer doing the coding so that I know the timing of critical tasks and how the controller is going to respond in each situation. Pi is easy but I just don't like wizard type interfaces like that. It's also very hard to integrate Pi into other projects because they don't expose the interface pins on the board. They want to give you computer type interfaces that require additional coding to get devices to work with it. Most fish equipment doesn't have USB or HDMI to connect to Pi. The stackable headers on the Arduino make for easy prototyping and adding/testing of new circuit designs. I didn't find that part of Pi very friendly. I haven't tried the Pi B+ model yet but don't expect that much has changed in this aspect.

I also took my board and connected it up to some G3 Radion pucks  and now can mimick the Radions colors and output with both the Radion pucks and the Lumia 5.2 pucks. While it's not as simple as just choosing a color from a menu, Fusion does make it pretty simple to set a graph that can then be copied and pasted.

Thanks for the compliment on the light. I have gotten lots of compliments on how clean they look and how silent they run. I have a few happy customers and that's more than I could ask from this first attempt. Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2014 at 1:02pm
Already having an apex does simplify things quite a bit, and turn things in arduino's favor LOL

Edited by Pete Moss - December 15 2014 at 1:02pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic