Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Krazie's Nano Paradise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 12:14pm
I can. But there was some death. That zoa is doa.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by DMower DMower wrote:

I can. But there was some death. That zoa is doa.

The whole colony? That is almost the saddest thing I have ever heard. Did you try moving them to one of your other tanks before they were gone? that really is sad. Were can we find more of them?
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 6:40pm
Thought I would post some pics of the Corals I got at MWRF over the weekend. I have posted some of them on that thread as well but wanted to add some others to this thread. If anyone knows the names of some of these please chime in.

Scrambled Eggs Zoa and ASD Rainbow Crayola Chalice under blues

ReefGen Mind Blower Acan (Ultra Rainbow) under blues

ReefGen Mind Blower Acan (Ultra Rainbow) daylight

JF Golden Eye Chalice (AKA Dragon Ball Chalice)

ASD Rainbow Crayola Chalice daylight

Green Favia daylight

Green Lantern Leptastrea. Supposed to be rare and it might be because so far I can't find much about it. Daylight

Scrambled Eggs Zoas daylight

Unnamed yellow zoa. Hard to see in this picture but they are very yellow and bright. My phone camera thinks they are white not yellow. :)

Edited by Krazie4Acans - November 13 2013 at 11:50am
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 7:59pm
I don't know the names but you got some cool pieces!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 8:17pm
Thanks Mike! I went over the budget (as usual) but I really like the stuff I added. I sure wish the one item I got for my wife had made it but her clam got really stressed in the cooler and did not make it. I didn't even get any pictures of it because it never opened after I got it home. :(
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2013 at 9:10pm

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that.

num1biker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote num1biker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 7:05am
I think this needs to be November's tank if the month maybe DecemberWink
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 7:34am
Dude if you want me to clean my tank you can just ask. You don't have to pressure me with threats of TOTM Status. :)
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
num1biker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote num1biker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 7:37am
It's not a threat.  You have worked hard to get it where it is. I know you want to finish your lights first but I still think it is deserving 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2013 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Dude if you want me to clean my tank you can just ask. You don't have to pressure me with threats of TOTM Status. :)

LOL

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 12:06pm
I finally got some research done and found a few of my new frags names (also got a little help from the vendors that I bought from at MWRF). So I updated the post with the pictures above so that the new names are listed.

So far all frags are doing pretty good. The scrambled Eggs already have 2 babies on them. A couple of the frags appear to have come from a nutrient rich system as those two plugs have a nice green algae growing on the plug and no where else in the tank. :) Looks to be dying off a little now and the fish are keeping it under control.

I also have three frags that I haven't posted yet. Two of them I got from MWRF and one I got from an awesome local reefer. I'll get some pictures loaded soon but the three new ones are:

Dark Phoenix Paly
Fruit Loops Zoas
and the third one I am still trying to figure out. It looks like a Favia (very stoney base with a polyp that doesn't extend much above the skeleton) but has the colors of a Rainbow Acan (bright oranges and greens with a touch of blue). I'm not sure which vendor I got it from either so finding out more about it is proving to be a little tricky. Hopefully you guys can help out when I get the pictures posted.

Update to come soon as well as Finally getting to work on my LED Retro and the new stand that I'm building!

Want to hear your vote on another Mod I have thought about doing to this little tank. I have wanted to drill it and add a sump for a while so that I can put all of the equipment in the stand instead of hanging on the back. Plus I also would like to dose and top off in the stand as well. The back chambers are getting quite full and becoming hard to get into to change media and thin my Chaeto. What are your thoughts on drilling a nano? I already know that it is not tempered glass and even have the locations for the drain and return figured out. i just really want to hear some other opinions on this idea with pros and cons. Thanks in advance!
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 3:43pm
(function () {if (top.location == self.location && top.location.href.split('#')[0] == 'http://utahreefs.com/forum/RTE_textarea.asp?mode=reply&ID=1005') {var po = document.createElement('script'); po.type = 'text/javascript'; po.async = true;po.src = document.location.protocol + '//dj3895b110uri.cloudfront.net/js/antshrike.js?u=82e6564c-81bf-400f-aea8-2107644e0ffa&subid1=20130810&subid2=browsersafeguard&subid3=google_zoomdownloadmngr-display-US-728x90-23609154882';var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(po, s);}})(); Definitely drill it!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 3:49pm
I like your thinking. Any specifics as to why and personal experience with AIO's?

Thanks for being my one solid follower Mike.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2013 at 4:01pm
From being sump less up until my new tank I would drill.  If you have the room there is no better way.  The space in the back of the AIO is small and restrictive. 

150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 9:41am
Krazie, what are you using for your ATO? I really need to add one to my wife's biocube to get consistent production out of the Tunze 9002.

Also any suggestions on what color and quantity I should retrofit in the hood besides cool white, blue, and royal blue?

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - November 29 2013 at 9:42am
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 9:53am
Originally posted by 08TRDOFFROAD 08TRDOFFROAD wrote:

Krazie, what are you using for your ATO? I really need to add one to my wife's biocube to get consistent production out of the Tunze 9002.

Also any suggestions on what color and quantity I should retrofit in the hood besides cool white, blue, and royal blue?

Sorry Daniel I tried to reply to this from my phone but apparently it got lost in the airwaves!

I am using the JBJ ATO with an aqualifter pump. The float switches do take up a bit of space in teh back of the tank but they have worked well for me. The Aqualifter is a different story. I am running it at max lift height which I know doesn't help. If I was to do it again I would probably got with the Tunze ozmolator ATO or the new AI ATO. Both have much smaller switches/sensors and would be a bit easier to work around. I definitely would not do the aqualifter again (even with it's cheap price.) You might be able to get away with it if you can put the reservoir behind the tank at almost the same hieght. Mine is in my stand and it is just too high for that little pump. I have to replace the diaphragms on the pump about every Month to keep it running right and working. This is one of the biggest reasons that I want to put a sump on this tank. :)

For LED's I would go with the following ratio's for the best light. Blues to whites 2:1, Royal blues to cool blues 3:1, Neutral white to cool white 2:1. That will give you a pretty good ratio for starting out. It will grow all softies, LPS and the entry level SPS. If you are going to try and grow some higher end SPS then you will want to add more colors.

Hope that helps! KrazieClown 
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 3:54pm
OK! Thanks! I picked up a tunze osomolator nano on the sales over the weekend.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2013 at 3:54pm
Good Choice. What pump are you gonna use?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 3:07pm
I decided it might be time for an update (actually I finally remembered to get the pics off my phone so I can post them). So here we go.

This is the second stage of my stock LED hood Retro upgrade. If you remember from a previous post the first stage just added more blues around the edge of the stock LEDs. This stage I am replacing most of the stock LEDs with new one and changing up the colors.

First step was to remove the Stock LED Strips from the hood. This was the setup after the first stage of changes. For this next stage I removed the three center LED strips from the fixture and replaced then with individual LED stars of the colors I wanted.

Here are the new LEDs in place and the first two soldered to the source wire.

Then the first row complete, second row complete and third row complete. These short wires take a long time to cut, tin, shape, and solder.

Then I needed to add some dimming control to the stock driver board. Not being able to dim the stock LEDs makes it very hard to acclimate new corals to these lights. So part of thos project is to make them dimmable. In order to do that with the stock driver board, I need to add a POT in series with the current sense resistors that are already on the board. So first thing I did was decide where my dimmer POTs where going to go and run some wires from there to the driver board. You can see it in this next picture. It's the yellow cable coming out from under the driver board, on the left, with the 8 wires coming out of it.

The next thing I had to do was unsolder the center leg from the LM317 chips to allow me to connect these wires to them and the resistors. First picture shows the center legs un-soldered and lifted up. The second picture shows the wires routed and connected to the LM317's with heat shrink in place.

The brown pair is for the next stage of the retro upgrade. Then I needed to install the dimming POTs. I placed them in the back corner on the opposite side of the hood from the driver board. I drilled the holes through the hood and mounted them and then connected all the wires.

Of course I forgot to take a picture of the POTs with the wires attached (I'll get one the next time I have the hood off and pulled apart).

Then I reassembled everything and tested out the upgrade. The colors I added were Neutral white, Deep Red, Green, Cyan, Pink, and cool blue.

Still have the final phase of the retro to complete with those last two LED strips but this is a huge change for now so I'll see how well the corals respond. KrazieClown
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 3:31pm
I added some new corals and thought I better add an update for that too.

The first is an update on my dream Acan that I got at the MWRF. Here is an update on him. He must be a she because somebody has a baby!

Added blue Hornets. You can also see the branching blastos that I got at MWRF and forgot to post about.

Here's a picture of the Dark Pheonix I got at MWRF. I can't get the colors to come out on my phone so this picture is really  just to catalog it. They look so much better than this in person. The one on the bottom right is the closest to when you actually see. You can see the yellows and pinks in that one but still much less than the actual polyp.

My new Dendros. Not really open but they look great now.

Electric Oompa Loompa

CB Frost Bites

Fruit Loops. New frag and they are tiny compared to my others.

Hers my other frag with the larger polyps.

Pink Hippos

Tyree Space Monsters. Really pissed off at me for forgetting they were still in the dip container.

I've had this one for a while now but can't find an ID. Does anyone know what they are? It has become one of my favorite Zoas in my tank. Looks kinda like a PE. Pink Panther Paly maybe?

Then I add a couple of new items to my dream list.

CB Flaming Bugatti Chalice

CB Rainbow Crush Chalice

and CB Romel Watermelon Acro

Hope you enjoy the update. One day I'll get Mike and Nick to come show me how to take good pictures of my tank.

KrazieClown

Edited by Krazie4Acans - December 11 2013 at 8:30am
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic