Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

sCoLy ObSeSsEd!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sCoLy ObSeSsEd!!!
    Posted: May 24 2013 at 12:16pm
Dang dude these are sick!

BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 10:38pm
Here are a couple of more pics...

Orange Masterpiece Scoly - IMO one of the rarer morphs that I have. You can see how it is heavily streaked orange with hints of UFO scoly (green scoly with purple ring) peeking underneath like it couldn't decide on what scoly it wanted to be. It is sitting on a ledge in my tank where it demands attention. Probably my personal favorite right now.

Little glimpse of the left half of my tank.

Edited by BillyC - March 05 2013 at 10:39pm
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by kellerexpress kellerexpress wrote:

Wow those scolys are sexy. How hardy are they? Do they live a long time? Do you need to feed them often?

Thanks man! Scolys are extremely hardy and can handle varying amount of light and flow. I was nervous when I moved one of my scolys half way the tank because it had much higher light and flow. It hasn't flinched and still looks great! From what I understand scolys live a very very long time.

Originally posted by love2skiutah love2skiutah wrote:

Very nice.  I'm in Centerville too. I'd like to come see your tank sometime. 

Thanks. You're definitely welcome to come over. It's great having so many reef keepers so close. Ill be busy until next week but I'll shoot you a pm.
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 6:56pm
Very nice.  I'm in Centerville too. I'd like to come see your tank sometime. 
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 6:36pm
Wow those scolys are sexy. How hardy are they? Do they live a long time? Do you need to feed them often?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

Very nice Billy. So if fragging them is risky do you just wait for it to split or something. Kinda like an anemone?? Ima scoly noob?
Hey Cody, I don't think anyone waits for their scolys to split because it is unknown how long that would take and I don't think it has ever been documented in captivity. People have had scolys for many many years and no definite sign of splitting.

@Pete: I am extremely interested as to where to find more information about scolys budding from the skeleton because I'd love to read more about it!. I am familiar with both pictures you posted. The top one is still a mystery as to whether or not those buds are actually "scoly babies" or some other coral since there is no tissue for them to bud from.

As far as the bottom picture, I could be wrong but I believe that coral was determined to be an Acan maxima (rare acan species that is hard to get because of laws preventing collection in areas where they are found.)

I probably pulled the information from the same sources you did none of it is 100% confirmed. I have however seen scolys in person, that had 2 mouths on the same skeleton. Usually one seems to have formed off the side. I've seen it more commonly on the supplier "slideshows", so that doesn't confirm it happening in captivity.

This one is pulled from google again, but it's definitely not an acan :P

Edited by Pete Moss - March 05 2013 at 5:01pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 9:30pm

Very nice Billy. So if fragging them is risky do you just wait for it to split or something. Kinda like an anemone?? Ima scoly noob?
Hey Cody, I don't think anyone waits for their scolys to split because it is unknown how long that would take and I don't think it has ever been documented in captivity. People have had scolys for many many years and no definite sign of splitting.

@Pete: I am extremely interested as to where to find more information about scolys budding from the skeleton because I'd love to read more about it!. I am familiar with both pictures you posted. The top one is still a mystery as to whether or not those buds are actually "scoly babies" or some other coral since there is no tissue for them to bud from.

As far as the bottom picture, I could be wrong but I believe that coral was determined to be an Acan maxima (rare acan species that is hard to get because of laws preventing collection in areas where they are found.)
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 12:43pm

I'll throw my two cents in on scoly fragging LOL

Scoly's don't split ( at least not that I've ever seen or heard of ) In the wild they reproduce sexually by releasing sperm and eggs into the water column. Fragging them would involve cutting the scoly in half, quarters, or triangles, and hoping for the best. Some aquarists have used a rubber bands to help kill off the flesh slowly before making the cut so it isn't as traumatizing to the scoly.

The only case of asexual reproduction for a scolymia that I have seen is when a scoly has budded off of the side of the skeleton close to the line where the flesh is attached to the base. Note in the picture below that the "buds" have connective tissue to the "mother". These buds can then be carefully removed ( with a diamond blade dremel usually ) and grown into adult scolymias :D

Edited by Pete Moss - March 04 2013 at 12:47pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 1:27am
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 4:13pm
Thanks for the offer Billy. I'll let you know if I decide to give them a try

Edited by Jimbo - March 03 2013 at 4:15pm
fishnfresh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishnfresh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 11:36pm
Dibs on the superman if you ever sell it bro. Those are sweet I am gonna get one.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Beautiful Billy! I think the reason I don't own one is the price lol, the ones I like would be ones like you have above and I can't fork over the money for one coral:)

Thanks Jackie. It is true that they are pricier than most corals. I sold a lot of coral frags privately on R2R which definitely helped with the cost. And Tiff got me one for my birthday!

Originally posted by Williams Williams wrote:

Nice collection Billy.
Thanks bro. You're collection is pretty crazy too. You need to post up your scoly pics when you get your shipment for sure.

Originally posted by ch3tt ch3tt wrote:

Very nice billy! I just picked up that sick bleeding apple that was on reef2reef, should be here early next week. I need to come check out your collection and maybe come shopping for some frags for my new tank I'm setting up.

I appreciate it dude. That scoly you picked up was definitely amazing. Once you get it in your tank you're most probably giong to want more and more lol. You're always welcome over if I'm free just let me know.
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 8:55pm
Very nice billy! I just picked up that sick bleeding apple that was on reef2reef, should be here early next week. I need to come check out your collection and maybe come shopping for some frags for my new tank I'm setting up.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
Williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 8:13pm
Nice collection Billy.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 8:02pm
Beautiful Billy! I think the reason I don't own one is the price lol, the ones I like would be ones like you have above and I can't fork over the money for one coral:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 7:56pm
Yes you can frag a scoly with some success but why disfigure something so beautiful ;) ? It would take so long for it to grow back (if it survives fragging like Eric said) to a decent shape so it's not worth it at all IMO.

@Jimmy: With your setup and lights, you would LOVE em! I have a couple I've been debating selling and you are more than welcome to borrow one so you could check it out in your tank. I thought the same thing about scoly's not "feeling right" which is why it took me so dang long to get one but my only regret is not getting one sooner.

Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 7:46pm
Nice Billy, amazing colors. You got me thinking, I don't have any Scoly's in my tank.....doesn't seem right, I may have to change that!   
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 7:32pm
You you can frag a Scolly but there is a lot of risk of loosing all of it 
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

reefnfeef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnfeef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Ryanscott Ryanscott wrote:

Originally posted by chuckfu chuckfu wrote:

Wow! Can u frag a scolly?
nope.

I think you can although they are more sensitive about it than other LPS.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaannd.... I'm broke
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2013 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by chuckfu chuckfu wrote:

Wow! Can u frag a scolly?
nope.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic