Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

150 Display 300 Total Volume Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 150 Display 300 Total Volume Build
    Posted: February 27 2013 at 1:04pm

So I have been collecting equipment and coming up with ideas for a long time to come up with this system and it is finally time to start putting it together.
Equipment so far:
reef angel controller (I really like the open source since I love diy)
150 display 48x24x30T corner overflow.
30 frag 24x24x12 rimless center overflow
Sump 2x 18g acrylic tanks
1x 40g acrylic tank
isolation/water change 45g acrylic
diy led (details in later post)
reef octopus 5000 ext skimmer
brs dual stage reactor
brs 2 stage dosing
mp10 frag tank
mp40wes display (deciding if I want to go with another mp40 or seaswirl or build a variable powered system run off the main pump)
Equipment to add:
Reeflo dart hybrid
uv or ozone???? (opinions please)

Here are some sketches so you can get the idea of what's happening here.

Obviously no plumbing is shown and no skimmer yet...

My biggest hangup right now is deciding what to do for my sump setup. I will be able to control the flow through the two 18g tanks to fast or slow. the final 40g tank will have to have a lot of current.
Option:
cryptic, dsb, all lr, all macro, or ???? (opinions much needed!)
I can also add on to the sump system with more tanks if I want.

I will get pics up of all the real items soon. But for now I am calling upon all the knowledgeable people to help me come up with a solid plan for my sump!!!!

Edited by Mr.Gray - June 15 2013 at 11:01pm
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 1:06pm
All resealed and ready to go

The rack everything will go on. (nothing is in it's place at this point.)

Oh and I already have my ro/di system setup in the basement with 100g ro on tap and 50g saltwater. It is being plumbed to my garage for easy water changes and auto top off.

Edited by Mr.Gray - February 27 2013 at 1:49pm
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 1:08pm
Super excited to see this build progress.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 1:18pm
UV = Aqua UltraViolet. Maybe the 57W. Good bulb life (~18mo) and flexible install options in both in/out direction and 1"-2" plumbing.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 1:22pm
Whoa! That is a lot of separate water boxes? Curious to see how you "glue" it all together  and keep it from leaking. :)
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Whoa! That is a lot of separate water boxes? Curious to see how you "glue" it all together  and keep it from leaking. :)

Nothing will be glued together. the tanks are all going to be drilled and it will mainly be a gravity fed system to run water through everything. everything will have multiple inlets and overflows so that I can decide where the water goes and how fast it flows through every stage. For example if I do the first box as cryptic it will only flow 200gph however, the final box will flow 3500gph.
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 1:31pm
JohnnyHeavens, I like that UV system. But what are the pros and cons of using the uv over ozone. The ozone will be in my garage so I'm not worried about it leaking. Plus I like being able to control the ozone with the orp on the apex (which could be done with the uv as well I suppose). Do you run your UV 24/7? And do you by chance monitor your system with an orp probe to see how it reacts when running vs. not?

thanks
CJ
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Mr.Gray Mr.Gray wrote:

Nothing will be glued together. the tanks are all going to be drilled and it will mainly be a gravity fed system to run water through everything. everything will have multiple inlets and overflows so that I can decide where the water goes and how fast it flows through every stage. For example if I do the first box as cryptic it will only flow 200gph however, the final box will flow 3500gph.

3500Gph through a 40G? Get out your surf boards boys this is going to be a ride! LOL

Got my stick out and my wax in hand. Going along for the ride.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 1:43pm
Yes the last tank will just bassicly feed the pump. The flow from the pump will be going to the 150 display, 30 frag, reactors, uv?, and iso tank. So it's not like I am going to be making huge waves anywhere that matters. I think you are confused somewhere, it is not uncommon for people to run a reeflo dart to power large systems.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 1:50pm

Yes the last tank will just bassicly feed the pump. The flow from the pump will be going to the 150 display, 30 frag, reactors, uv?, and iso tank. So it's not like I am going to be making huge waves anywhere that matters. I think you are confused somewhere, it is not uncommon for people to run a reeflo dart to power large systems.

No but Most of the ones I've seen have sumps larger than 40G. I'm all for the build don't get me wrong. That just seems like a lot of flow through a 40 to me. I'm not the guru by any means. That's why I'm along for the ride (sarcasm and all) to see how it works and what I might do with my next build.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 2:10pm
I see where you are confused. For example if I used a 100 gallon tank for my sump I would traditionally separate it into 3 sections. 25g for feed, 50g for fuge, and 25g for return. And that is a "large" sump. In this system I have decided to split mine into separate tanks instead of just building baffles in one large tank. So whereas a 100g sump would have a capacity of about 25g to feed the pump mine will have 40g. I will probably even partition that off so that my water does not have to drop so far before my ato turns on. I will also be able to run a true capacity of around 80g of water through the sump system whereas if I were to use a 100g tank I would build my baffles so that it would be around 66%-75% full.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 2:17pm

I see where you are confused. For example if I used a 100 gallon tank for my sump I would traditionally separate it into 3 sections. 25g for feed, 50g for fuge, and 25g for return. And that is a "large" sump. In this system I have decided to split mine into separate tanks instead of just building baffles in one large tank. So whereas a 100g sump would have a capacity of about 25g to feed the pump mine will have 40g. I will probably even partition that off so that my water does not have to drop so far before my ato turns on. I will also be able to run a true capacity of around 80g of water through the sump system whereas if I were to use a 100g tank I would build my baffles so that it would be around 66%-75% full.

Ya I can see that. If you are running the sump that hard how do you handle power outage and backflow without over flowing the sump?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 2:23pm
I run this unit 24/7 but I have created a "feed" mode on the Apex that turns my UV off for an hour. Probably doesn't matter much but when I add pods/live food to the sump or display it gives them a chance at making to the display. I'm running mine with relatively slow flow and thus it's strong exposure and would probably kill more complex organisms. I believe that at 3500gph you'd be in the reef safe range they suggest and wouldn't need (do I?) this type of effort. 

There are far smarter people than me that probably have better answers to this but...
Advantage of UV? 
-Well you can't over dose UV vs ozone where you can. 
-Don't need oZone compatible gear/pipe/tubing.
Advantage oZone? 
-UV only effects things in the water flow that goes through the UV and oZone could effect everything in the system.
-No bulb to buy

I run my UV inline after my return pump and right before going into the display. (I have a blowhole 1450) I am planning on moving it out to the garage with my water change portion of the loop where I will put it at the start of my sump Where in theory the now dead organisms can be more readily skimmed out before getting in the display. May not matter but it seems a sound theory that can't hurt.

One thing that Brad at the Aquarium pointed out for me regarding install, plan on enough room to use the wiper (if you get it) and leave enough at the other end to replace the bulb without taking the whole unit out of the loop. Won't matter till you install but I wouldn't have done this right without the tip.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2013 at 2:25pm
Backflow should be minimal, and the last sump will have room. 40g is just how much water will be in there. There will be room for it to absorb another 20+ gallons without overflowing. Flow will be maintained in display and frag by battery backup on mp's.

Thank you for the reply JohnnyHeavens!

Edited by Mr.Gray - February 27 2013 at 2:57pm
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 10:54pm
Another piece to the puzzle. Reef octopus 5000ext. Thanks Kody, it should work better than the extreme 250 I was going to use (for sale now if someone is interested).
Deluxe247 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deluxe247 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 1:23am
I'm all for putting the sump in a different room. It makes it easier to access for maintenance, and reduces pump noise at the display tank. My sump is a composed of a 29 gal tank that drains into a 20 gal rubbermaid tote inside a larger tote. The whole thing works great! As for backflow, you just keep your return nozzles up near the water surface and they don't siphon off much when the main pump shuts off.
90G Mixed Reef
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 4:59pm
Led list Display:
3x 20w blue 445nm
3x 20w blue 453nm
3x 20w white 10k
3x 20w white 20k
4x 5w blue 468nm
4x 5w white 5500k
8x 3w red 660nm
4x 3w yellow 590nm
8x 3w green 520nm
8x 2.5w uv 415nm

Frag:
4x 5w cool white 8k
4x 5w blue 442nm
4x 3w blue 468nm
2x 3w red 660nm
1x 3w yellow 590nm
2x 3w green 520nm
4x 2.5w uv 415nm

Led's have not been assembled yet as I am waiting for my new reef angel controller to get here. Then it will be a whole lot of soldering for me!
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 5:02pm
Awesome to see you incorporating 3w with the 20w. Really excited to see the lighting!!
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2013 at 10:32pm
Yeah i'm pretty excited to get everything assembled and start messing around with the programming! I started collecting stuff with the intent of just doing large multichip leds but the frequency options were too limited so I am using all the cree and phillips led's to get the full spectrum I want.
Mr.Gray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Gray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 10:46pm
led plan (bad rendering, just wanted to lay out the lights for even spread)

color left to right on top row: 445nm, 10k, 453nm, 20k
left to right second from top: 660nm, 520nm, 415nm, 590nm, 5k, and 468nm is the blue.
Only 350W of led, I think I can get a little light through the 30" of water

Edited by Mr.Gray - March 05 2013 at 10:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic