Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aquascaping Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aquascaping Thread
    Posted: February 25 2013 at 11:30pm
Here is a thread to post: Current Scapes, Previous Scapes, Inspirational Scapes, Poor Scapes, Scape Questions, Scape Discussions, etc. BAM!  

I will start by sharing a simple scape that demonstrates reef genius, simplicity, and an all encompassing love and passion for our slimy fish friends.  The 2011 MWRF REEFSCAPING CHAMPION build executed by yours truly (I am totally kidding here, but it is mine and it did win) :)

Here is my first scape:

Here is my last scape:

Here is my current scape:

Edited by Tanuki - February 25 2013 at 11:31pm
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 9:22am
Since Tanuki posted this I decided to post my pics before and after.
Thanks Tanuki!! I think I will get rid of some of the rock though we will see.

Before:

After:
Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2013 at 10:26am
Here's mine before coral, then after coral.

http://zip-zero.com/wmas/imageUpload.php

Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 8:51am
I end up doing a lot of aquascaping for tanks I help people with, but I haven't really ever kept an album. One of my favorite "styles" is a double island type design. Here is an aquascape I did for someone else. Excited to see it "grown in"

It gives sandbed space in the middle, and TONS of caves for the fish to swim through.

I'll have to start taking pictures of the aquascapes I do.

Edited by Pete Moss - March 05 2013 at 8:55am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 1:43pm

Before coral and after

Call or Text (801)834-3119
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 3:18pm
K i have some questions, so do you guys glue your rocks together? and do you do everything out side the tank first and then put it in? After seeing a bunch of diffrent tanks i think i need to redo mine.
75g Just starting out, Stand and canopy From Richins carpentry.
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by SNOWRIDER SNOWRIDER wrote:

K i have some questions, so do you guys glue your rocks together? and do you do everything out side the tank first and then put it in? After seeing a bunch of diffrent tanks i think i need to redo mine.

I used acrylic rods and zip ties. I drilled some holes with a fitting for rock and then used aquarium putty to hold it together. The zip ties hold most of the weight initially and when the putty dries it should do the job.
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 3:32pm
I would do it all out of water. I put coral over the zip ties to hide it and now it barely shows. It also has coralline algae all over it to make it look natural. Depending on the look you want you may not even need zip ties but make sure your structure is strong and solid.
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 5:24pm
One question I have is do you guys do your rock first and then add sand or sand then rock?
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2013 at 10:49pm
I added sand then rock. I added a piece of egg crate under the main rock to avoid scratching the glass but I use the sand to support the rock as well. I made sure the rock stood on its own before adding it but the sand makes it even more stable in my case.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 7:12am
Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

One question I have is do you guys do your rock first and then add sand or sand then rock?

All our rock went in prior to adding any sand. We knew we would be adding some Pearly Jawfish, Wrasses and possibly a Sand Sifting Goby. We didn't want any chance of rock shifting as they dug the sand out from the bottom of the glass. All our rock was constructed in sections outside of the tank with Epo Putty, placed inside the tank, zip ties added where needed, more Epo Putty added and after a couple days of curing, all the zip ties were removed.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 11:16pm
My rock work, arch on the left, tower on the right.

AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2013 at 11:18pm
I really like the rockwork in the first picture!

Edited by Dionysus - March 13 2013 at 11:19pm
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2013 at 10:11am
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

All our rock went in prior to adding any sand. We knew we would be adding some Pearly Jawfish, Wrasses and possibly a Sand Sifting Goby. We didn't want any chance of rock shifting as they dug the sand out from the bottom of the glass. All our rock was constructed in sections outside of the tank with Epo Putty, placed inside the tank, zip ties added where needed, more Epo Putty added and after a couple days of curing, all the zip ties were removed.

Great idea to remove the zip ties after the putty is hardened.
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2013 at 11:35am
Anyone else want to share some tips or pics of aquascaping? How it was achieved and where you got your inspiration?
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2013 at 7:39pm
Here are some updated shots showing you around my tank.  I think the coral placement should help you see where I am going with the rock work etc.

Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2013 at 5:47pm
Does anyone here have pictures of an aquascape in a 55 gal?  I'm just getting started and got a sweet deal on a 55 so I took it...now I'm scratching my head how to aquascape an aquarium that is only 12" front to back! 

Any tips anyone?
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2013 at 7:46pm

here is a pick of my old 55.

aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2013 at 5:43am
Did you ever have problems with algae with your rock up next to the glass?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic