Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Ok Here it goes..... My redneck 120 rimless build.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ok Here it goes..... My redneck 120 rimless build.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ClownFishAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ok Here it goes..... My redneck 120 rimless build.
    Posted: January 30 2013 at 7:19pm
Ok so here I am and yes I'm going to make mistakes but on an extremely limited budget I am going to do the best I can. This is going to be a 120 gallon system and I wanted a bar around it so I can sit and enjoy my tank. But how can this poor boy do something like that?Well I'm a redneck so we WILL figur it out. Pig

Ok so I started with this really sturdy dining room table. it is 54" x 54" square and is 35" to the bottom of the table....

This is my plan...
 I wanted to use this table and its space since I live in a small 2 bd apartment and I'm limited on space so here is a crude drawing of what I am doing.

So for the underside cabinets I bought 2 unfinished 24" cabinets and a bunch of 2x4's and proceeded to make the cabinets more sturdy. (oh and I am combining them with one side cut out so it makes a single 48" cabinet.) Total investment is $85 with the 2x4's since I got a great deal on the cabinets...

As you can see they are perfect height for this project. how cool was that? lol
Here is the more sturdy version of the same cabinet.

And

So ultimately the only thing the cabinets are being used for is actually the skin of the stand. (cheaper than a custom stand for sure.)

Tomorrow I will be finishing up the cabinet reinforcements and possibly staining them to match the table...... Stay tuned there is more to come. Wink

Edited by ClownFishAddict - January 30 2013 at 7:55pm
Durff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 7:27pm
That's a great idea, I'll have to call a redneck the next time I'm going to start a project.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 7:28pm
hahaha I thought that would get the first comment.
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 7:35pm
Are you actually putting a canopy on a rimless ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 7:52pm
NO!!!!! that was a "DOH!!!!" Moment Wacko but there is a hangover idea i want to try but thats later on down the road

Edited by ClownFishAddict - January 30 2013 at 7:53pm
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 8:22pm
I'm working on a floating hood right now . When I'm done you should come check it out since it is the same exact tank ;). I love aquarium creations tanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 8:23pm
 He does good work. I would love to come see it when your done. just let me know.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 2:12pm
OK so I have finished strengthening the stand and prepping the tabletop to be mounted.

WOW it is upside down and it wont fix. Can a mod please fix this?

anyway I am going to do the finish work now that it is fitted. When I get done it will match the table really good and look as one piece. BTW it is extremely sturdy....

(Mod can you please fix this one too?)
And this one is upside down too. Everyone just turn your monitors over to view it. LOL
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 3:57pm
Way more work than I am capable of! 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 4:05pm
suspend the canopy to hide the glare from the suspended lights! That would look so badass with the bar style stand.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

Way more work than I am capable of! 

No it is way more work than you need to do. your setting up the Rolls Royce of tanks Mr. Red Sea Max S-500 man LOL just kidding I am jealous as that was my first choice in tanks. Can't wait to see it.

Edited by ClownFishAddict - January 31 2013 at 4:45pm
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 4:49pm
haha I can't smile till my 180 sells! 
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Pete Moss Pete Moss wrote:

suspend the canopy to hide the glare from the suspended lights! That would look so badass with the bar style stand.

I'm thinking of a canopy that makes it look kind of like the tables on the beach on the islands. a canopy with the leafs kind of at a 45 deg angle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2013 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by Tanuki Tanuki wrote:

haha I can't smile till my 180 sells! 

That shouldn't be a problem its a nice tank.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 11:35am
Picked up my sump, skimmer and return pump today  Big smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 12:01pm
Everything getting a good vinegar bath.

Edited by ClownFishAddict - February 03 2013 at 12:04pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 12:48pm
Also got a picture of my tank today. this is a 120 rimless 48" x 24" x 24" from Aquarium Creations. Hope Eric don't mind that I'm posting this but I'm sooooo Excited... Wink

Durff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 12:49pm
Looking good, it's exciting getting new stuff even if its not new.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ClownFishAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 12:52pm
Sure is.... I'm just hoping I can afford this without the wife killing me. Ouch She has got close before Big smile until I reminded her that she loved me for some strange reason.
Durff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 1:05pm
Haha! Yea for some strang reason my wife doesn't like me blowing money on fish stuff either.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic