Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestion for next year’s frag fest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestion for next year’s frag fest
    Posted: April 08 2005 at 10:32am
I was chatting about it with another member last night and thought I might post it here as a possibly suggestion.  I think that on frag fest night we shouldn't let anyone do private sales of frags.  Not only is it somewhat of bad form to compete with the club on the one night the club is selling frags, but it definitely takes away from the clubs funds.  I saw several "private" frags of xenia for $5 a frag when I had donated a bunch for the club sale that were $10 for members needless to say people bought the private frags.  It just got me thinking, why would should I donate corals to the club when no one else is, and they're just going to undercut the club anyways.  I'm rambling, but you guys get the point...  Anyone else think not allowing private sales on this night would be a good idea?
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 10:51am

I think that's a good suggestion. 

Damon and I wouldn't normally have had a ton of stuff, and that won't happen again.  Adam can address your thoughts better than I can, but it might be worth mentioning that we do talk about people selling frags at every presidency meeting that I can remember.  For the most part, we think that people selling their frags at the meeting helps promote the "save a reef, grow your own" idea.  We try to let people sell their frags in such a way that it doesn't impede the meetings. 

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 10:54am
My opinion is that this is one of the advantages of the WMAS. To get us all together to pawn off Xenia that is overunning our tanks.

For anyone that was at the meeting last night, call me and come to my place for a free frag or a few free snails.

Oh, and thanks to everyone that bought frags last night. This helps fund the clubs activities. One person, Dave Tea, the WMAS member in Brigham City that let's me sell his baby Tomato Clownfish, gave us $40 which is about double the amount of what he bought. It's people like him, that give so much support in time and $$, that make this club thrive as it does.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 10:55am
I wasn't trying to single you, or anyone, out so sorry if you felt attacked...

I definitely agree that people selling frags is a great thing for the club, heck probably 90% of my reef is from frags from the meetings =)  I just though having one month without them would encourage people to donate frags to the club for sale and help ensure they all get sold.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 11:06am
I think this a good discussion. The point about donating to the
club is a very valid point. I think your contribution to our club is
very much to be comended. Thank you very much!

Would asking the sellers to also contribute be a good idea?
I've always considered it an unspoken piece of gratitude, sorta
giving back to the hand that feeds you sorta thing.

But, it has always been unspoken so maybe some people just
have not thought about it! Thanks for speaking it!
Tyrosinase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyrosinase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 11:07am
I agree.  This club does so much for people that I don't think it's to much to ask of people to refrain from selling thier frags on the day of the frag fest.
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 11:39am
I agree also.  Refraining from personal gain for the good of the club for one day seems a reasonable request.  Private meetings can be set up and this site can be well used to facilitate selling frags the entire rest of the year.

Fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 12:21pm

DNellans-
Holy Crap!  You said exactly what we discussed late last night.  It appears that we may have to have a "please don't bring frags to sell" added to the club coral cutting nights.  We would absolutely love for everyone to bring to the frags and cuttings, and then donate them to us to sell.
Otherwise, you're right it really does compete with us.  You may be able to get a frag cheaper from someone else at the meeting, but remember these frag fests are what fund the club.  I'm sure if everyone who was selling frags last night would have donated those frags to the club we would have doubled what we made.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
DVadar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DVadar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 12:27pm
I would agree that private sales should not be allowed on frag fest nights. If someone wants to bring and sell frags that night then all proceeds need to goto the club.

However, I don't think that banning the private sale of frags during all other meetings is acceptable, and would hurt the club it the long run.

These next comments is based on fact and observation from last night and past frag fests so please don't take offense. I thought last nights meeting was great and beleive that with a few changes the club could earn a significant amount more money.

I think less acros and stony corals should be sold and more soft/low light corals fraged instead would draw more money. Seeing more mushrooms, zoos, green and pink stars and other hardy and low light corals would net a bigger profit. Here are the reasons.
1. Compared to soft corals, alot of acro trading goes on in private on the web forum. Thus demand is generally lower at the frag fest unless you have an unusual or rare one.
2. A big acro goes a long way. It looked to me like one acro could produce 30 or more frags.
3. Saddly, alot of people are selling tanks and moving. We should consider doing things to get more begginers intothe club to take their place.
4. Alot of people new to the hobby(and several I talked to last night) come to this meeting not wanting to risk paying several dollars on a large coral when it could die. Generally these people have setup a small tank with NO or PC lighting with the thought of upgrading to a bigger tank and metal halides once they get the basics down. I noticed several dishartened people in this situation last night when alot of the softer lower light requiring corals went fast and all that was left was several dozen acro frags.

Again I think last nights meeting was great and appreciate the hard work the presidency whent thought to pull it off. I do think demographics are changing howevere and we should possibly shift to satisfy getting more begginers in the hobby and becomming club members.
dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 12:50pm
DVader has a good suggestions with trying to have more frags for low light tanks.  Considering so many of us actually have softy and LPS tanks we all should have (including me) come up with more frags for the meeting.

I think the "medium to high" light, doesn't mean much to the beginners unfortunately.  Maybe using descriptions of,  normal output, vho/pc, halides only, would give beginners a better idea?  is there an annual "lighting your tank" meeting where info about lumens per watt, color spectrum, etc are talkd about?

-dwn
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 12:55pm

Originally posted by DVadar DVadar wrote:

I think less acros and stony corals should be sold and more soft/low light corals fraged instead would draw more money. Seeing more mushrooms, zoos, green and pink stars and other hardy and low light corals would net a bigger profit. Here are the reasons.
1. Compared to soft corals, alot of acro trading goes on in private on the web forum. Thus demand is generally lower at the frag fest unless you have an unusual or rare one.
2. A big acro goes a long way. It looked to me like one acro could produce 30 or more frags.
3. Saddly, alot of people are selling tanks and moving. We should consider doing things to get more begginers intothe club to take their place.
4. Alot of people new to the hobby(and several I talked to last night) come to this meeting not wanting to risk paying several dollars on a large coral when it could die. Generally these people have setup a small tank with NO or PC lighting with the thought of upgrading to a bigger tank and metal halides once they get the basics down. I noticed several dishartened people in this situation last night when alot of the softer lower light requiring corals went fast and all that was left was several dozen acro frags.

Again I think last nights meeting was great and appreciate the hard work the presidency whent thought to pull it off. I do think demographics are changing howevere and we should possibly shift to satisfy getting more begginers in the hobby and becomming club members.

I disagree. In the past we have had a majority of SPS corals that all sold quite quickly. On the flip side, there was probably 20 frags of leather (at least) that went un bought last night. There were also frags from the propogation demo that were left unbought.

Do you think it was the type of softies that we had that is the reason they were not bought?

dnellans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dnellans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 12:58pm
I think it wasn't clear to the beginners what would probably make it in their tanks so they held off.  i didn't hang around for the fragging tutorial either, was it mostly new faces?  i know when i was just starting i was reluctant to put frags in my tank that weren't already attached to rubble rock because supergluing can be a real pain, so maybe that held them back?
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 1:20pm

I wonder if there were some left unbought because there weren't the usual "teaser" threads regarding what corals would be available.     We usually have pictures posted almost a week early.

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 1:54pm

Sorry .. If i stepped on any toes .... I delivered some frags that people had already purchased via the website.

I do totally agree ... it would be a good thing for individuals not to sell frags at the club "fragfest" meetings.

I always thought that the SPS were popular at the frag meetings. (I think I sense the AntiSPS League at work ). I had to scramble to get a piece of that lavender humilis (which is doing fantastic) at the meeting before this last one.  I even missed a piece or two, because they were all gone!  I did like all the montipora frags at this meeting though!

I think everything of mine should be grown out enough by the next meeting, that I should have a few nice pieces to donate.

I missed the auction is usually held ... it is usually pretty fun.

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 1:59pm
I tend to disagree wiht the competition thing. I personally bought 4 frags
from "frag fest" and 6 frags from members. None of the frags I bought
from members were available from the frag fest. And I bought the only
frags I was interested in from the fest. I think everyone is interested in
the betterment of the club, and if they bought a frag from someone
instead of the club, it wasn't to save a nickel, it was probably due to
convenience. It was a bit stuffy in there. I think the numbers would have
been the same whether private sellers were there or not.

Of course that's just my opinion, I've been wrong before

BTW that was my first "Fragment Festival" and I didn't leave empty
handed
Bob Kripfgans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Kripfgans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 2:52pm
I spoke to nellans that night at the frag table. We both donated to this great club...if I had more to frag I would have. My contribution to all those that make the club what it is. You can bet there will be more to come from me at the next fragfest. It's an expensive hobby and tends to scare off people who may want to start up a reef. Sharing, thats what it's all about an endless garden to be grown and cut. (Knowledge and sharing and friends.) IMO    BTW..during the fragfest private frags should or can be posted on the message board before the meeting and arraingements for pickup can be made between buyer and seller on the lot. We could use the extra tables for the clubs frags. There was alot of traffic at the tables and it was hard to get a few that I wanted. I think it was a great meeting...a super job! Thanks to those that made it happen.  
WMAS is da place!
Save the Banggai's!
Tooele,Ut.
joliverson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joliverson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 3:11pm

Great Ideas!!!!!!!!!!!

I would support an action like this!

Jody

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 3:11pm

Originally posted by DVadar DVadar wrote:

I noticed several dishartened people in this situation last night when alot of the softer lower light requiring corals went fast and all that was left was several dozen acro frags.

We had lots of lower light corals left over at the meeting.  The reason there were so many SPS left over is because they were not the awesome colors that people have come to expect.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  We will definitely consider all of them for the next coral cutting.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 3:13pm
arraingements for pickup can be made between buyer and seller on the lot

LOL ... this sounds pretty suspicious.

I keep wondering when someone at my work is going to ask me what i'm doing. I keep going out to meet people in front of my building, hand them baggies through their car windows, and walk away w/ cash!
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2005 at 3:25pm
What about when the feds show up because of our High power bills, and
blaring light coming through the windows and several people in and out
every day leaving with small "baggies"

I wish I had a better idea of how the meeting worked (the frag fest
portion) cause I would have donated what I could. I have a neat xenia
(haha) that needs fragging. Would have been good for the
seminar... Since xenia is so hard to frag
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic