FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

dazed and confused

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dazed and confused
    Posted: June 09 2003 at 12:53am

i was recently at "the aquarium" and had a very interesting talk with one of the guys there. i had explained some of my concerns with my 80 gallon tank, and he stressed the importance of alkalinity. i bought a test kit and ran home. much to my dismay i could not even get any sort of reading from the kit. i add b-ionic almost everyday and am begging for any advice on specific amounts of b-ionic i should be using, or any other additives i should be using. i tested my alk many times that day and could not get anything from it. im not getting the growth rate i know is possible and am needing any advice. i run 1 175w halide and 3 55w p/c 50/50s. any help would be greatly appreciated.

whats up lopez and jms, my fiber rat brothers

thanks,

the llama

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 5:56am
 By not getting any reading at all what do you mean? If its a low reading what is the reading? If the kit isnt working at all you may have a diffrant problem. I started tested my alk about a year ago. It was a little low so I tryed raising it . My tank actually stated looking worse. It went on long this for a couple weeks. finally I did a large water change and the next day everything was back to normall. My whole piont here is be carful you arent dosing to much additives and make sure you are reading the test kit acurately. Also when changing anything in the tank keep a reall close eye on everthing in there and make sure its ok.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 8:21am

Hey, I love water chemisty !

Tell us what additives, other then B-ionic, you've dosed into the tank.  How old is the tank? 

The results from the alk testing determine how much b-ionic you should be using.  How much "Joe in Bountiful" uses on his tank doesn't have any bearing on how much you should be using.

Double check the kit... I've never seen "zero" alkalinity before.

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 12:30pm

ive been using a salifert kh/alk test kit. the results come from dripping one solution from a syringe into four ML of tank water and two drops of another solution. the water begins blue and as you add from the syringe as soon as it turns pink you look at how much is left syringe and compare to a chart to get your result. my water never turns pink. ive gone through the instructions step by step many times with no luck. ive used test kits for other things before and never have had a problem. mabye its me i, dont know.

my tank has been up and running for about two years and the only additives i really add regularly is the b-ionic. my corals are normally healthy looking, however they never quite get to that impressive stage that i have seen in other tanks.

thanks for the responses

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 12:40pm
Take the kit back to The Aquarium along with some of your water. The kit is probably bad.
twflint View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twflint Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 1:13pm

I am not sure which stores offer it, but sometimes stores will test your water if you bring them in samples.  You might try calling a few stores and see if you can drop by with some water.

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2003 at 4:38pm

I use the salifert quite often here at work.  It is not an easy test to follow.  Just make sure that you reading from the right chart and you are using the multipliers correctly.  I would do what Mark said and take some of your water and the kit to them and ask them to show you how to do it.  Then if its a bad kit, hopefully they can replace it right there.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic