Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pests

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pests
    Posted: October 18 2012 at 12:21am
ok, since my wife and I attended the freak in your tank show, we now see the things in here.  I have a small cup FULL of the little starfish, white ones, and greenish ones.  We pulled 20 of them off of the corals in the frag tank tonight.The tiny ones that everyone says eats the corals.  We are picking them off at a rapid rate now.  I set up a frag tank to be my quarantine tank, and moved all of my corals into it preparing to move the rock and fish into the new tank.  I have damaged or killed too many corals moving rocks before.  I don't want to risk anyone getting smashed in the move.

Here is the other thing that has happened. is there is what looks like baby brittle stars falling to the sand beneath the frag rack.  I took a pic of one, they are tiny, but have the round body of a brittle star and look to be brown.  I am attaching the pic of it. Hope you can see it.  Anyone know if it is brittle stars?  They seem to be dying and falling into the sand.  OR is it a new pest I picked up somewhere??? 

And, oh guru of hte bugs, will the bayer dip kill the damn little starfish?  or do I just need to keep hunting them down?  is it true they do hurt the corals?

Mac the starfish slayer!!!
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 12:24am

that is my samsung galaxy SII next to it so you see the size.  It appeared to be dead laying in the bottom of the tank. 

bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 12:40am
OK Nikki, what is it?  do I keep them or kill them?  And do I get psycho on getting rid of the little tiny starfish?  if I do get psycho on them, what is your weapon of suggestion?   The Bayer dip, flame thrower, thermo-nuclear device, 380 hollow points??????  you get the idea.   :-)

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 5:52am
Ok...first...take a deep breath...breathe in...breathe out.

99% of the little starfish are perfectly fine. They're just part of a good cleanup crew. There are occasionally some bad ones, but they don't eat a whole ton. If you start noticing jagged bite marks with little starfish nearby, then yes, you should be worried.

The micro brittle stars are fine. I've never heard of a problem with them.

If you are desperate, yes, the Bayer dip works (Bayer insecticide at 0.5ml per 2 cups tank water for 15 minutes.) Or you could try a Harlequin shrimp (don't really recommend as it'll starve quickly.)

As far as why your brittle stars are dying and falling into the sand, that's odd. Might be due to some stirred up detritus causing a slight ammonia spike. Checked your parameters lately?
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 8:50am
lol.  I really wasn't freaking out.  Just trying to be funny.

I have only seen 2 of the micro brittle stars.  Is that what they really are?

and it isn't me who starting wanting to hunt down and find all of the little tiny starfish, it was my wife.
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 9:10am
Besides Molli, YOU are the one who scared the hell out of the boss about the critters in the dark tank.  NOW all she does is stand at the tank hunting for bugs.
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 9:33am
Originally posted by bmac2 bmac2 wrote:

Besides Molli, YOU are the one who scared the hell out of the boss about the critters in the dark tank.  NOW all she does is stand at the tank hunting for bugs.
haha .. no reason to be scared if you quarantine LOL  I got scared when I first joined this site after reading numerous posts from people asking for help in how to get rid of "bad" critters .. I figured out that for me, quarantining is the way to go!  That's not for everyone .. its just an easier solution for me.  Now once I find a bad critter in my quarantine tank I still have to figure out what to do about it, but at least its not spreading about in my display tank!
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 9:57am
ok, too many Molli's in here.  That comment was to Reefdup.  Her presentation at the last meeting on the bugs in tanks is what scared the boss. 
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 10:47am
I want to see the "Hollow Point" method!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 5:45pm
I think I need to do another presentation sometime about the *good* hitchhikers we find in our tanks. So many people get rid of the good thinking they're bad.

That being said, I'm actually modeling the effects of pests in a reef tank for one of my grad projects...and it's scaring me half out of my mind!!!
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2012 at 5:48pm
I think a presentation of good hitch hikers is an excellent idea.  That way you can help us decide what is good and what is bad.  My wife is looking at everything that moves as possible evil.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic