Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

At last! Majano's (finally) Gone!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: At last! Majano's (finally) Gone!
    Posted: October 09 2012 at 2:02pm
I have had 3 of those annoying Majano anenomes in my 93 Cube for a while now... actually, started with just 1 hitchhiker that (of course) I procrastinated in removing - until 1 became 2 and then 3 after a few months.

So, after losing half a scroll coral and an entire small Orange Digi colony that got burned by these little *&^%!##! Angry it was time to (finally) take some action.

How did I get rid of them? I'll tell you, it wasn't that easy.

First I tried "Aptasia X", mainly because I had some on hand. End result was no effect whatsoever; they ate the stuff like it was candy Confused

Next, I got a couple of hypodermic needles (Thanks Rex and Jacknugget!) in order to inject them with some deadly substance.

First, I tried peroxide. Injected 3 ml directly into the foot (base) of each anenome. Keep in mind these guys are only about as big around as a quarter... well, they swelled up a bit, and then shrunk down a bit; but, a day later, they looked no worse for the wear. Ouch I thought that stuff 'burned' through anything?

Next, I tried vinegar. regular White Vinegar, like the kind you put on a salad.

They didn't like that. Not at all LOL

Now we are getting somewhere.

It took 5 ml each (I only did 1 at a time so as to not add too much vinegar to the tank at once and effect the pH of the water) but I got 'em... I got 'em!!! ClapClapClap

All 3 shriveled up to almost nothing within the first 15 minutes of the vinegar shot. By the next day after the injection... dead, dead, DEAD Dead

I was so happy that I cleaned my tank glass in celebration Wink

Now I realize that I haven't taken any photos of my tank in several months...

Time to get busy!

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 2:12pm
Bob how did you get them in the first place? Didn't you start with dry rock? I have always been curious how pest anemones plague so many reefers in this club.. I have never had them. I can see how it happens when peeps by live rock but how does it happen with dry rock. Over the course of my time in the hobby I have bought a few frags that had one or two on them but when I put the frag in I have just put a dab over super glue over them. Im just curious because I have seen so many posts about these little bastards recently.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 2:24pm
I started with only Vida Rock (new and dry) but then, as the aquascaping "muse" hit me, I changed out some of that Vida Rock for some established Live Rock. I'm sure I probably overlooked a single, small majano that was somewhere on the live rock.

And I only had  the 1 single majano for about 6 months... it only recently split into 2 and 3; within the past 2 months maybe.

I can't complain, though... I have not had an aptasia outbreak (at all) in the past 10 years Big smile and I have never had 'red bugs' or any of the truly nasty pests that can end up in our reef tanks.

Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 10:50pm
Get the shot glasses out will drink to that! Now to get rid of Two mushrooms I have. Think vinegar will work?
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 8:12pm
Vinegar might take out your shrooms. I would suggest injecting it right into the shrooms foot (base) and see what happens...

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 8:18pm
I tried injecting shrooms at one point with vinegar. Didn't kill them. Oh they looked dead but what happened was they became unattached and what little flesh survived actually spawned NEW ones. Only way to get rid of those things is to take the rock out of the tank.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2012 at 10:47am
Great job Bob.  It's strange that Aptasia X did not work.  When I had Manjano's it worked like magic.  I have not had the same luck with using on aptasia though.

I have to agree with jwoo.  I've tried everything to kill mushrooms.  I really don't want to tear down my tank to do it, but in the end I may have to.

On the pest anemone subject I too just got rid of the last aptasia in what will be my new frag tank.

I have been trying for almost a year to kill them all and they keep getting more and more out of control.  I finally found a way to kill every single one though.  I took all the rock out of the tank, cleaned the tank with vinegar, and boiled the rock and sand in a big pot in the back yard.  HA! TAKE THAT, STUPID APTASIA!!! Angry  What do you know, killed everything. 

Not that I recommend this treatment, but sometimes you just have let it rain for 40 days and 40 nights to wipe out all of the bad stuff.

This is what comes of taking buckets for rock from a neighbor the week before tax day and plopping it down in your tank so it doesn't die.  Thanks goodness none of it ever got in my main display.  Now I only have 1 nano tank that still has aptasia.  I have to find a different way to kill them since I don't want to kill all the corals in that tank. Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic