Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clownfish & live rock where to buy in UT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
moab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clownfish & live rock where to buy in UT
    Posted: August 31 2012 at 11:23pm
I am looking for black and white clownfish and live rock.  Where is the best place to buy high quality live rock in Utah?  Where is the best place to buy black and white clownfish?

I do not mind ordering through the mail next day air if anyone recommends I buy from a business located out of state.  I do not mind buying from a local forum member either.  I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks

Mike  

Coltono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coltono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 5:44pm
live rock and reef hands down.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.
John F. Kennedy
Coltono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coltono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 5:45pm
they sell aquacultured rock that has been in the ocean for 10 years collecting all kinds of live goodies for your tank its 8 a lb if i remember they also sell the other live rocks like tonga and fiji they also have live rock rubble and sand plus dry rock for base or if you just want to start from ground zero compleatly.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.
John F. Kennedy
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 5:46pm
I ahve 5 year established live rock if interested.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
ReefKeeper78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 5:52pm
I love Reef Runners in Orem, he will get you anything you need..Only place I shop.
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by moab moab wrote:

I am looking for black and white clownfish and live rock.  Where is the best place to buy high quality live rock in Utah?  Where is the best place to buy black and white clownfish?

I do not mind ordering through the mail next day air if anyone recommends I buy from a business located out of state.  I do not mind buying from a local forum member either.  I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks

Mike  

Where are you located? How much rock do you need?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 7:30pm
My suggestion, although I have little experience, is to start with a just a small piece of live rock and the rest completely dry rock.  And get the live rock from someone you really trust so that you don't end up with stuff in your tank that isn't good for your tank.  This is coming from personal experience with the first tank I started in May.  I'm working on a new 65 gal tank and starting with 100% completely dry rock with just one small piece of live rock to get it going. 

And any coral that you add to your tank -- quarantine first and watch to see what kind of critters might start coming out of it -- before you put in your display tank.

Edited by Molli - September 05 2012 at 7:31pm
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by ReefKeeper78 ReefKeeper78 wrote:

I love Reef Runners in Orem, he will get you anything you need..Only place I shop.
+1 for Reef Runners
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Coltono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coltono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

My suggestion, although I have little experience, is to start with a just a small piece of live rock and the rest completely dry rock.  And get the live rock from someone you really trust so that you don't end up with stuff in your tank that isn't good for your tank.  This is coming from personal experience with the first tank I started in May.  I'm working on a new 65 gal tank and starting with 100% completely dry rock with just one small piece of live rock to get it going. 

And any coral that you add to your tank -- quarantine first and watch to see what kind of critters might start coming out of it -- before you put in your display tank.
+ 1
John F. Kennedy
napalm77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote napalm77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 10:12pm

Live Rock And Reef has imo the best live rock around. bird world usually has black clowns. Make sure to dip all your corals in a good dip.

Edited by napalm77 - September 05 2012 at 10:13pm

moab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 10:02pm
I ended up buying one 5 pound piece of live rock from Live Rock and Reef in West Valley.  This one rock has tons of life on it with some very nice purple and pink coralline algae.  You do not realize how much life is on this live rock the day you buy it, but once it was placed in my established tank tons of feather dusters came out of the rock.   

I added this one rock to my 34 gallon Red Sea tank that I had three white reef rocks in(had those in dry storage buckets for six years).  I took one out to make room for the one piece of live rock.  I have had this live rock in the tank for three weeks.  I started using Phyto Feast for the feather dusters/life on the rock.  Had an algae bloom.  Added more snails, started using granular ferric oxide(to remove phosphates out of the water) and did a water change and the algae is now under control.   

I am going to visit Bird World and Aquatic Dreams tomorrow looking for clownfish.  
moab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 12:18am
I visited Bird World in Bountiful first and they had several ocellaris clownfish available.  Then I visited Aquatic Dreams in Clearfield.  Wow, Aquatic Dreams has really nice looking tanks and fish!.  I bought one ocellaris clown, two Cardinals and one royal gramma from Aquatic Dreams.  Then I went back to Bird World and bought one ocellaris clownfish that I really liked from them.  I put all of these fish in my quarantine tank and they are doing great.    

I liked both stores, but Aquatic Dreams is amazing for saltwater!  The saltwater tanks in Aquatic Dreams are taken to the highest level, so if you have not checked them out it is worth the trip.  I drove all the way from UT County to visit these two stores and it was worth it.  I drove all this way mainly for the clownfish due to the stores closer to me did not have much stock that I liked and I have visited other LFS recently. 

Most impressive saltwater LFS I have been to in Utah is The Aquarium in Sandy and Aquatic Dreams in Clearfield.  Those two are incredible!!! 

Bird World is also impressive because they do it all for many different types of pets(the birds they had in this place were incredible), but they do not take their saltwater tanks to that next level like The Aquarium and Aquatic Dreams do.

Reef Runners in Orem is ran by a very nice guy who I like.  His store is nice, but not up to the same level of The Aquarium and Aquatic Dreams.  I bought some supplies and snails from him.

I like to spend my money locally and the better stores will get to highest percentage from me.  However I do want to spend my money at any store I like.  You have to help a store stay in business if you like it and I will help do this. 

Thanks to all of these stores for what they do.  This is a tough business.  Not easy at all... 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic