Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lairds 180 gallon upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Inthenameofweez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inthenameofweez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 1:14pm
I had know idea you were going through so much. Your behavior all makes sense now and I feel bad for not asking sooner. Perhaps I could have helped you through some of it.

Either way, like others have said: WE ARE HERE TO HELP. Please let me know when I can come over and help. I know you've felt helpless, but you're not.

You are the sole reason that I am in this hobby right now. You're more intelligent than 70-80% of the people out there. You will recover and well enjoy the hobby again. I've got confidence in you.

Text me soon. Or I will just text you. :P
-Clayton
JohnnyHeavens View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyHeavens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 4:25pm
We've never met but sorry to hear of the rough patch. You've got far more support closer to you than myself but if you need more RO/Mixed for your clean up then you are welcome to whatever I have on hand. Generally 50-65g of each.
@Home
300g System 150g-Cube Reef+60g Frag+WaterChange
150g Tall FOWLR RIP
@Work RSM 130D w/LEDs
txt anytime @ eightO1-seven5five-eighteen99
Scuba! PADI Pro DM/AI/TecDeep
NSS/CDS-Full Cave Diver
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 5:56pm
As always, I'm right around the corner to help. I still have all those corals you asked me to save, and they've grown into nice colonies now. They're here when you want them...or want to sell them to fund new stuff. We'll get ya back right as rain.    
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2013 at 7:42pm
I'm sorry to hear about everything give me a call if you need anything I'm willing to help anyway I can. My prayers go out to you and your family
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 9:03am
Thanks for all the support everyone.

Nikki, I forgot you had those corals. That's a huge relief. Do you still have a pearlberry? That was what I was most upset about losing.

Jarad, that's very nice of you and I will have to take you up on that, but my guess is 4 months would be the very soonest I'd feel comfortable putting sps back in.

What's the best glass scraper for a big tank? I'd always used a homemade stick with razor blades but its not cutting it on this big guy. I need something with a decent arm and really good blade. The coraline is really bad on my glass along the sand bed.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 9:06am
Laird,

I still have the pearlberry that you fragged for me.  It is large enough to frag if your back up is not there any more.
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2013 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

What's the best glass scraper for a big tank? I'd always used a homemade stick with razor blades but its not cutting it on this big guy. I need something with a decent arm and really good blade. The coraline is really bad on my glass along the sand bed.

I found a plastic handled paint scraper at the paint store. It uses a much heavier blade that a razor but still very sharp. I just have to remember to rinse it off and dry it each time I use it or it rusts very heavily. Blades are a couple of bucks instead of pennies like razors but it works awesome on coraline.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 3:38pm
My tank is finally up and running correctly! The lights are 100% working because of Bills hard work, and a midnight run to ReefKeeper78s house for some parts.

I also finally have my plumbing done, so my monster UV, and reactors are all now all running off my manifold.

I'm really excited about it all.

Next steps are to get some more fish to help make it look not so empty. I also need to redo my aquascapping . My rockwork was going to be awesome when I was going to have a tank full of big SPS colonies but now that I don't have those anymore it looks a little too bare for me. So I'm going to bunch the rock up a little more while I build up my collections again.    

50 Gallon rimless cube.
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2013 at 3:41pm
Glad that you have things up and running again.  I am sure you will be in pressing us with your tank in no time at all. 
ReefKeeper78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2013 at 3:14am
Great to hear man!!
180Gal Reef with 576 Watts of LED's
16Gal Innovative Marine Nano LED lit
150 Gal Frag tank with MH
PADI Dive certified sure love that ocean..
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 3:18pm
I'm in love with these lights. Being able to control them like this is amazing. I have complete control over every color, Whites, Reds, Greens, UV's and then Blue and Royal Blue together. Then on top of that I have two Blue + bulbs on the outsides and 1 Purple + on the inside. The spectrum when they are all mixed is absolutely perfect in my opinion.

I had to turn the whites, reds, and UVs off and the blues all the way down to get this pic because otherwise it was just a bright blur.

The LEDs look kind of funny because I have the two end unties angled toward the middle, so the inside sides are up about an inch higher then the ends.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 3:21pm
Looks good.  It is nice to see you up and running aging. 
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 3:27pm
Thanks a lot man. I need to come check out and see how your tank is coming along sometime soon if you'll have me over.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2013 at 3:40pm
Hell yeah!! Any day after 6:00 pm works for me. 
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 12:40pm
So as I said before the tank was really unhealthy and dirtier then any tank i've ever owned. I also had really bad cyano outbreak.

This picture was taken after I had been cleaning and syphoning it out for a couple weeks. You can see the sand still looks awful but its a 1000% improvement over what it was. This is just a small section of the tank. You can see a lot of the damaged corals. I had two 5 gallon buckets completely full of skeletons that I cleaned out of the tank a couple months ago..... I also have some aiptasia to take care of, I have a file fish in there to try and help me out.

Then after not being able to get rid of it without chemical assistance I gave in. I did a Chemiclean dosage of about 3/4 of what they recommended and it worked shockingly well. Left it in there for 48 hours and it got rid of 99% of the cyano. I did a really big deep cleaning of the tank and a 20% water change, and ran carbon for a day.   I then did a big BioClean dose and let that sit over night with no carbon, GFO, or UV going. Then this morning I turned on my GFO, and Carbon reactors and started up the big UV.

The tank is looking really good... well really good for what it was. The sand is white and clean and everything really coming along. I'm still too embarrassed to put up a full tank shot yet. I also am starting dosing Korallen-Zucht Amino Acid Concentrate to help my LPS recover. I've had a lot of tissue recession from a lot of my chalices so need to get them fixed.

I also added a WXM module so I can have more control over my vortechs. I sure like having more control.

My goal is to start recollecting coral in about 6 weeks. I want to go one solid month of everything looking good, then do another water change and then wait a week or two then I'm going to start accumulating coral and trying to replace a lot of my old pieces.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 2:02pm
If not mistaken don't they recommend 40% after using the Chemclean?
Also a fighting conch works really well for cyano.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2013 at 2:54pm
Nope, 20%. And I have 4 conch already.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic