Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lairds 180 gallon upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 5:58pm
Thanks. Ya, I'm always up for selling some SPS if anyones interested.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 6:11pm
Update.

Still waiting on lighting. Doing a another DIY build but waiting on some LEDs to come back in stock before I order. Everything else is ready to go.

I can't wait to get it going. For the past 6months to a year i've been pulling out frags and colonies for people to hold because my tank was overgrown. I'm excited to get everything back in. I'll have over 30 different chalices frags alone coming back in once the the new tank is proven.

Altered my Herbie drains a little bit. Put 45 elbows on my emergency drains and brought them up higher and now the overflow and tank is silent. Its unbelievable that that much water can be moving through the system and it be silent but it is.

The return coming over the back is done. I have good circulation throughout the whole tank and get good surface agitation just from the return pump.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
ReefKeeper78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 6:19pm
Just curious how many LED's your going with in the 180?
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 8:46pm
170ish. Doing Cree xrt, xpg, and xre on 3 20in heatsinks.

Edited by Laird - September 22 2012 at 10:27pm

50 Gallon rimless cube.
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 9:08pm
I can wait to see what the lights look like i have a feeling i will be wantkng to upgrade to your lights.
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 4:11pm
Was looking for info on xrt? Cant find any what are they? I am doing a massive build for mine right now as well..192 leds.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2012 at 4:49pm
Looking awesome! I can't wait to come see it in person this week!
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 10:10am

So I finally got my LEDs ordered and will have them this week. I'm going to build 3 fixtures. Each fixture will have 24 XRT Royal blues, 14 XPG cool whites, 4 Cree XRE Blues, 4 Cree UVs, 3 Cree Greens, and 3 Cree Reds on a 20in black heatsink with a splash guard.

Totals, Drivers, and Optics.

Cree Royal Blue XTE     72 Driven by 1     1 HLG-185-42B and 80 degree lens on the inside, and 60 degree on the edges          

Cree Cool White XPG 42     Driven by     3 ELN-60-48D and 80 degree optics

Cree XP-E Blue 12 Driven by 1 ELN-60-48D    and   80 degree optics     
Cree UV 12 Drive by one 1 LPC and 80 degree optics                         
Cree XP-E Green 9     Driven by 1 ELN-60-48D    and       No optics                                   
Cree XP-E Red/Amber 9 Driven by 1 ELN-60-48D    and   No optics                                             

They will be dimmed/controlled by my apex. My Royal blues and blues will be on the same variable speed port, the whites on another, the greens on another, and reds on another. The UV will not dimmed because I don't think they need to be.                                                                                                 

Edited by Laird - October 03 2012 at 10:12am

50 Gallon rimless cube.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 10:53am
What K rating are you aiming for?
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 11:13am
I'm not aiming for any K rating. My current lights are constantly either ramping up or down, and at different speeds between my whites and blues. I'll be doing the same with these.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
saltyjarhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saltyjarhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 11:16am
Amazing work sir. Looks great so far.Clap
Semper Fi
You can live for many causes, but you can only die for one. Pick that one very carfully.

Josh Giles
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 1:40pm
What's the width of your heat sinks?
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 2:05pm
6inches

These
http://www.rapidled.com/6-x-20-black-anodized-aluminum-heat-sink/

My current heat sinks are two inches wider which I'm going to miss but these should work out fine. and don't forget I still have 3 T5s to go along with these.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 2:12pm
Nice! When do you plan to start moving things over?
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 2:35pm
My goal is to have the LEDs built and everything moved over into the 180 and the 90 out of my house by a week from sunday. My lights and tank are sold and I'd like to get them to those people asap. I know they are both anxious.

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 6:21pm
I am very curious about your ramp technique, I will be finishing my build tomorrow and have the lights hung by Saturday and want the best chance for success, I will have an overage of power and would love to have your help/opinion on the matter.  Maybe I can come by and chat/buy a couple acro's.   
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 6:33pm
I've got two colors figured out, but it's gonna take some time to figure out this new set up. Shouldn't be much different considering the green and reds are just for look. Just hope by coral doesn't have a problem during my learning curve.

Come on by and we can talk about it.

50 Gallon rimless cube.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 7:05pm
Will you Pm me your info..? Are you free either tomorrow evening or anytime on friday?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2012 at 7:10pm
Id be happy to let you figure this out on my tank I have the same colors you are going with I think..except I have some NW.

Edited by ReefKeeper78 - October 03 2012 at 7:11pm
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2012 at 12:44pm
Stay tuned for an update on the most badass DIY LED light thanks to some amazing work from Bill (sitaga), and some help and guidance from reefkeeper78.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic