Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lairds 180 gallon upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lairds 180 gallon upgrade
    Posted: August 27 2012 at 12:38pm

So anyone who knows me knows I've been talking about this 180 for well over a year. Its been a major project mostly because I could never decide what I wanted exactly. The tank itself was the biggest problem because I wanted to go custom but couldn't justify the price difference. Its also been a slow process with how freakin expensive all the equipment is.

I'm going to be transfer all of the livestock from my 90 gallon over to the new big tank. I have new special grade sand that I will be adding to the new tank, but other then that all the livestock is coming from the new tank. I'm also going to be using DDH2ocean salt for this tank.

Here are a couple pics of the 90.

Right now I have just the tank and stand sitting in the middle of my house waiting to be plumbed in the next few days.

Tank Dimensions
72x24x24 Marine land corner flow tank with black silicon.

Custom Large Black knotty alder stand and canopy. This thing is huge and beautiful. Its 7.5 feet tall, 81inches wide, and 29 inches deep. It also has 4 big doors in front, and also doors on each end.

Equipment
2 mp40Wes
Reefo Barracuda return Pump
Emperor 40 watt UV
2 BRS deluxe Media Reactors
Elite Aquatics Skimmer
Apex Controler
Marine Magic 3 pump Dosing pump. I will be dosing BRS two part.
M3 model Elite Aquatics sump with 4 drains lines, baffles that are further apart to accomidate the larger return pump, and also probe holders.

Lighting
3 60watt Retro fit t5s. Bulbs are one ATI Blue + in the back, and one ATI purple + and another ATI Blue + in the front.
I will be moving my 2 DIY LED fixtures over to the new tank for the time being but I plan to make 3 new DIY fixtures, or buy the Vegas. I'm waiting to see how the Vega looks in person before I decide which way i'm going.

Plumbing
For the plumbing I'm doing SCH 80 valves, and there are a lot of them. I'm running everything off my large return pump which include my UV, and two reactors.

Drains
I'm doing two herbie style drains along with two emergency drains in the corners. I will then be running my return up the back and of the tank instead of through the overflows. I like this because it alows for my drains to be ultra quit and also be able to handle the large amount of flow i'm going to be getting with this barracuda. I also like the return lines away from the overflow so that the flow can help push the water into the overflow instead of away from it like in most tanks.

Aquascaping
I will be keeping 80% of my current rock and then adding more minimalist looking rock. I have Vida rock making some custom pieces for me.

•     Semi minimalist look.
•     Lots of sand space
•     SPS dominant
•     Acan rock and garden
•     Chalice area around perimeter
•     Zoa grow out
•     No rock or coral close to glass on any side
•     Plenty of swim space above and around rock

Fish

Currently Have
•     Borbonius Anthias
•     Yellow Tang
•     Kole Tang
•     Snowflake Clown
•     Chromis
•     Purple Firefish
•     Mandarin Goby
•     Flame hawk (will remove)

Wish List
•     Powder Blue Tang
•     helfrichi firefish trio
•     sohal tang
•     lyretail anthias trio

So my good friend Bill (sitaga) and I brought over the tank and went to put the tank in the stand. As we are straining to carry the tank with just the two of us we find that the stand is 1/8 of an inch too short to fit the tank. So we put the tank on the island in my kitchen and call the guy who built my stand. Luckily he ran right over and fixed it perfectly.

Edited by Laird - September 09 2012 at 6:09pm
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 1:42pm
Looks amazing! I can't wait to see what you do with the aquascape and sps colonies!
Call or Text (801)834-3119
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 1:47pm
Saw this in person yesterday and it is gorgeous and massive.
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 1:48pm
FINALLY!!! Can't wait to watch this build thread! I'm sure it won't disappoint.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 2:04pm

Looking realy good.  Have fun with the plumbing.  I am glad you are getting close.  I know you have been wanting to do this for a long time.  I like your sump ;-)  I do wish I had a little larger baffles the dart that we have really can move alot of water.  I am not sure if you are going to be using a auto top off or not but my tank is going though just under 4 gallons a day. 

Everything really is looking good can't wait to see it set up. 
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by lskurys lskurys wrote:

Looking realy good.  Have fun with the plumbing.  I am glad you are getting close.  I know you have been wanting to do this for a long time.  I like your sump ;-)  I do wish I had a little larger baffles the dart that we have really can move alot of water.  I am not sure if you are going to be using a auto top off or not but my tank is going though just under 4 gallons a day. 

Everything really is looking good can't wait to see it set up. 

Thanks

I for sure am going to be using an ATO, but I don't have it yet. The main reason I put the tank where I am was so that I could run a ATO to it, putting the tank anywhere else would make it impossible to run a ATO to it without it looking awful.    I was going to talk with Ryan at Aquatic Dreams about which ATO to use and then have them come out and install it.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2012 at 2:26pm
I just went with a float valve on my sump.  It is working out really well. so far.  I did have to drill a hole through the side. 

Edited by lskurys - August 27 2012 at 2:32pm
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 1:36pm
very nice
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 5:00pm
Not a ton to report. A few plumbing parts from BRS didn't show so set back the build a bit. I'm super disappointed because I wanted to get it up this weekend. We will plumb what we can and get most of it set up but can't get it full of water until the middle of the week. Grrr.

Got the back painted. I originally put vinyl on the back but decided I hated it and tore it off and painted it.

Got the monster sump and pump in the stand.

Here a pic showing the nice big lip on the stand.

All my new equipment and sand is also all here. 200 pounds of special grade sand. A new 40watt emperor UV (HUGE), another new MP40Wes, and my marine magic triple doser.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2012 at 7:29pm
Looking good.  Looks like you have a bit more room in your stand than I do. 
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2012 at 12:04pm
Truely jealous
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 3:30pm
My Herbie drains.

So One Herbie drain, and one durso emergency drain in each overflow.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 4:01pm
Just some of the valves. I like lots of precise control.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 4:34pm
Still dosing or are u switching over to a reactor? Or both?
220 G SPS Display.

Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2012 at 8:24pm
Still dosing, up to over 100ml of each a day. I'll add a reactor to help later on but for now just dosing with the marine magic pump.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 8:08am
The returns look great. Nice job.
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 4:01pm
Oh Boy, Bill and I are plumbing.

Got the Emergency drains in.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2012 at 8:15pm
Nice Clean install.
February 4: Winter Banquet at the Living Planet Aquarium
Tickets: http://utahreefs.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=36
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 1:44am
Bill and I have been workin our butts off getting this put together. We are about 80% there, but that last 20% will make things look really really cool. We will be adding all the extra gate vales, reactors, UV, and finishing the plumbing up over the back.

I have valves and unions all over the place.

Right side of the tank with two herbie drains with gate valves on the right. The one on the far right I had to use spa tubing, I hated to but had to because I couldnt get the angles right to hard plumb it. The drains behind it are the two emergency drains plumbed together. Every drains has at least one union, and some have two.

Here is the left side of the tank. Drains, and the return pump.

Working on the manifold.

Manifold installed.

Back of the tank. You can see the return lines with its large gate valve and check valve. Also the end of the manifold that has a cap at the end of the union.

I have another cap I can put on that union so I can expand my manifold easily at any time.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 9:01am
looking really good. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic