Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Niger trigger bad idea??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Niger trigger bad idea??
    Posted: July 17 2012 at 11:32pm
We just got our new petco yesterday (i know not the best) but the had a beautiful Niger trigger fish about 3-4 inches and a very strong purple to it. Now Heres my question- can that live in a 55 gal with a volitan lion, rabbit fish, sail Fin tang, snow flake eel, huge 6 line wrasse, and very large cleaner shrimp???
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2012 at 11:40pm
I would say no... I think you are pretty stocked
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
CrimsRayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrimsRayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 12:31am
Technically the sailfin should be in a much much larger tank. And no on the trigger.
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 8:51am
I would have said yes. Maybe I'm in the minority.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 9:32am
A lot of it depends how your tank is setup, do you have a sump/refugium? Do you have a skimmer? how frequent are your water changes? etc... In my opinion 4 fish and an eel is acceptable, and i think you would be fine to add the trigger, but that's just me. 
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 10:10am
I also would think it should be ok.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 10:23am
My niger trigger killed most my fish including a huge (much larger than him) 5 inch Potters angel. I couldn't wait to get rid of him. But I hear he is probably in the minority of Niger Triggers...
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 10:37am
Originally posted by ch3tt ch3tt wrote:

A lot of it depends how your tank is setup, do you have a sump/refugium? Do you have a skimmer? how frequent are your water changes? etc... In my opinion 4 fish and an eel is acceptable, and i think you would be fine to add the trigger, but that's just me. 

Yes, i do have a small refugium, and a skimmer, and a larger canister filter. i constantly run active carbon and i forgot the other thing... like zooelite or something like that.  I do a 20% water change every two weeks. The only thing now that i am thinking is that would the trigger mess with the lion fishes spines??
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 10:37am

No, ive heard triggers nip on lionfishes. But my niger was very docile

Josh M.
Phone: 406.471.1334
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2012 at 9:12pm
Ok so i want your Honest opinion - - - Why would you risk it or why wouldnt you risk it?? I wont get offended but please tell me if you were in my situation if you would get the triger or not.. Tell why if you wouldnt, once again be honest and dont worry about getting my hopes up because i just want to know what you would do! Thanks and i am not trying to be a wimp  but i have never had a trigger and online says yes and no's, so...
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 7:06am
niger triggers are great fish. mine eats right out of my hang. not aggresive at all. he was origanally in with an aggresive reef. lions, wrasses, tangs, other triggr, no problems. he is now in my full reef with clowns, tangs, angels, gobies. still no problems. dang i have gone back and forth between aggresive and not quite a few times. maybe time for another tank.
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 10:51am

I fully stock my tank as well.

1 sailfin 3 inches
1 Tomini Tang 3 in
1 scopas tang
2 clowns
2 juvi bangaii cardinals
1 melanarus wrasse
1 coral beauty
1 lawnmower blenny...
All in a 75 gallon,
i do have a 30 gallon sump...
I have seen tanks a whole lot more stocked then mine though... If it is perfect i wouldnt add anything, cause thats when things go wrong... IMO. But on the other hand i would add him, you want the most out of your tank. Dont you? It's a risk... But i honestly think you should be fine...
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 11:16am
K, i am picking him up in one hour!!
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 2:36pm
I got him and to acctualy see him in my tank, well he looks alot smaller. I have him in an aclimation box and he seems just fine when other fish swim by, and vise versa... I am hoping for the best!!Ermm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 2:45pm
I'd certainly risk it.  The size of the tank is a bit small, but I wouldn't have worried about the tankmate selection.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 4:57pm
Every one still seems to be doing fine, every time i feed the fish, he acts likes hes hungry but when he gets close he hesitates... no worries though, hes still really new:)
rsay4654 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rsay4654 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 5:21pm
He will learn to trust you. But you should give them a bit before feeding.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2012 at 5:32pm
Yea, he doesnt seem to shy so i was wondering how "brave" he was:P Any ways i dont blame him, hes in a new spot, new tank mates, bigger tank than before...
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 2:08pm
Well goodluck tanner!
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2012 at 5:51pm
Ha thanks. Still doing good..... crossing my fingers, but  i am pretty sure he will stay like this hopefully....Big smile he eats really well which isnt realy a huge suprise, but he swims along with every body else!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic