Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

180 return pump and plumbing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 180 return pump and plumbing.
    Posted: July 05 2012 at 9:55am
So I'm upgrading to a 180 and I'm just buying all the components. Right now i'm deciding on my return pump.   

I'm thinking i'll go external but still not sure. I want to run my GFO reactor, Carbon reactor, and UV all off of my return as well.    

The pump being quiet is a must so the only external pumps i'm considering is reeflo but i'm worried that they are all overkill.

I'm also thinking of doing a Herbie style system.

How much can one 1 inch drain drain? I'll have two one inch drains.   I've read so many conflicting reports that I'm not sure what the truth is.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 11:03am
I ran a barracuda on my 200. Awesome flow from a great pump. I had a dart on before and I wasn't very happy. I was running 2 1" returns.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 11:32am
Did you have to have it tuned back with the 2 1 inch returns?

Was it quiet or better yet silent?

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 12:24pm
It depends if you are doing a Herbie or a durso. Durso you are limited to about 600-700gph per 1" drain. With Herbie (being full siphon) you can run way more gph through a 1" pipe. My tank is about 1100gph through a single 1" pipe at full siphon and my gate valve is still closed off a little less then half.
Premium aquarium filtration!
Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 12:27pm
Forgot to mention, look at Iwaki or pan world pumps, they are very quiet a well.

Edited by Elite-Aquatics - July 05 2012 at 12:28pm
Premium aquarium filtration!
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Elite-Aquatics Elite-Aquatics wrote:

Forgot to mention, look at Iwaki or pan world pumps, they are very quiet a well.

I've had them and know people who have them and i'd never buy one. All the ones i've seen are super noisy.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 1:25pm
I put a 1" Herbie on my 29 gallon frag tank using a 3/4" bulkhead. That was overkill. My drain valve is almost closed. Maybe someone here has one you can go see to determine if it will work for you.

Fat
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by Fatman Fatman wrote:

I put a 1" Herbie on my 29 gallon frag tank using a 3/4" bulkhead. That was overkill. My drain valve is almost closed. Maybe someone here has one you can go see to determine if it will work for you.

Fat

Ya i'm 99% sure thats what i'm doing, i'll do two 1". I've only seen a couple in person but i've done enough research online and decided that what I want.

I'm probably going with a barracuda pump.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2012 at 1:54pm
IT was not throttled back at all. IT went to the tank by way of 4 3/4 lines. I had to throttle one return back to allow run off through the uv sterilizer. The pump is fairly quiet. I will be running it on my new set up.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic