Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alge not growing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sillyfrag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sillyfrag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alge not growing
    Posted: June 18 2012 at 7:41pm
I moved an older tank about four months ago. I have two three foot t5s and a 250 mh that I run about 14 hours or more a day. It is a 125 gallon tank. What do I need to test and fix to see more alge growth? Nitrates are pretty high but everything else looks good.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:56pm
You must be speaking of Coralline Algae.
Are there coral and fish in this tank? May we see a pic?
Well, the four most important water parameters we test for are Temperature, Salinity, Alkalinity and Calcium. When it comes to Coralline Algae, we can add Magnesium to that list.
If these are not within proper range everything else is almost unimportant . And if these are within range and with a good base for biofiltration, everything else will eventually balance out to where it should be.

How high are the Nitrates? (up to 40 ppm is acceptable) After 4 months I wouldn't expect to see high Nitrates so something else may not be so good with tank.
Temp = ? (best range is 70-80 degrees)
Salinity = ? (1.022- 1.026)
If you don't have test kits take the water to your nearest LFS to test for:
Alk = ? (8-14 dKH)
Ca = ? (350-500 ppm)
Mg = ? (1200-1400 ppm)

Oh and give us the numbers, not just that they are "good" or "bad". And if the levels aren't within range, you don't need to buy anything at the LFS. We can show you how to use common household products to increase the levels.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic