Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

which reef safe fish has the most personality?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
romstore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romstore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 6:01pm
Ok, I tested the water again and there is not any amonia or nitrites.  Nitrates are about 10.  I looked at my fish list and adjusted it:

cleaner shrimp (bought)
Blenny (bicolor bought) see pic
goby (yellowheaded sleeper goby bought.... Impulse buy!  ugh.) see pic
Hawkfish (TBD)
maybe a dwarf angel.....  reef safe

I would like to get a jawfish but I don't want to overload the tank with carnivores.  I'll get him down the road if one of these guys has an unfortunate accident.

**update** 
My goby just ate all of my barnacles.   I knew they wouldn't live long but it was sad to see them go.

Edited by romstore - June 16 2012 at 6:03pm
29 gallon saltwater cube
10 gallon freshwater
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 10:25pm
I'm sorry, but I'll bet that shrimp is very unhappy and we just don't know it.

LR is wrapped in wet newspaper to help it stay moist during shipment.
This is what I wanted to help people learn to avoid when I created the thread linked below in my sig line. There is a hazard of using LR from the ocean because it has been left exposed to air for many days. Even LR from another tank that has been left out of water, not submerged, for more than a few hours can have massive die-off. In these cases the LR is subject to the 6-8 week long cycle of Nitrogen pollution. LR continues to pollute for that long. Water changes will bring the pollution level down in the water but only temporarily, because dieing and dead things in the LR continue to decompose and pollute, bringing Nitrogen levels back up. Ive seen many times where everything was looking okay, but for some reason another wave of death and decomposition brings pollution back again. This is why the dreaded "cycle" takes 6-8 weeks. Sorry.
Cry
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 16 2012 at 10:30pm
Dead
I'm sorry, I can see evidence in those pics that your tank is still not out of the woods. I would not add anything else for 4-6 weeks. I believe I suggested earlier that patience and self control along with asking us here before making any changes/additions. That advice is still valuable if you would care to follow it.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 12:44am
It is exciting to get new fish but it is disappointing when they die. You will have more success and less disappointment  in this hobby if you take things slow. A tank that has been set up like yours takes about 6 to 8 weeks to cycle. Once properly cycled livestock need to be added slowly, one or two fish then wait several weeks before adding one or two more. If livestock is added to quickly it will over load the system creating a "mini cycle" starting with an ammonia spike.
 That being said Jaw fish are one of my favorite. I would recommend a Pearly/yellow head if you decide to get one. Hope this is helpful.  
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
papa-squid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papa-squid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 12:59am
Originally posted by sabeypets sabeypets wrote:

<!-- bmi_SafeAddOnload(bmi_load,"bmi_orig_img",0);//-->

It is exciting to get new fish but it is disappointing when they die. You will have more success and less disappointment  in this hobby if you take things slow. A tank that has been set up like yours takes about 6 to 8 weeks to cycle. Once properly cycled livestock need to be added slowly, one or two fish then wait several weeks before adding one or two more. If livestock is added to quickly it will over load the system creating a "mini cycle" starting with an ammonia spike.

I agree one thing everyone told me was patience is the number one key, even have gonads stuff slowly as Sabey has said. I've almost had bad things happen but luckily defused the situation. And just did maybe about 35% water change
Officially Addicted!
new upgrade from 40cube to 55g.
and helping friend and his mom
with there new 55g.
Dallin Anthony
romstore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romstore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 17 2012 at 10:38am
Alright... Thank you for the advice.  I guess I should have mentioned that I got the rock from the LFS and it had been curing for a while.  THEY receive it in coolers wrapped in paper.  Though, I don't know how long it had been curing. 

The two fish seem to be doing ok still and there is still no ammonia, no nitrites, and about 10 nitrates.  I'll keep monitoring close over the next few weeks.
29 gallon saltwater cube
10 gallon freshwater
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2012 at 1:19pm
I know it's hard. Believe me it was hard for all of us when we first started out. But in this hobby "better to be safe than sorry" has some heavy significance. You could also liken a new tank to a newborn baby....one minute it's fine the next your running around doing everything you can to resolve the problem that has just showed up. That sense of urgency is heightened like no other. I could use more metaphors but I think you follow.
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic