Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Reef'd Up Rescue Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Reef'd Up Rescue Project
    Posted: May 11 2012 at 5:20pm
Ok, this is a bit premature, but I'm too excited to wait to post.

I've been rescuing dying corals and fish and taking in unwanted fish (including a fish missing an eyeball) for about 5 years now. When they're fully healthy, I either keep them permanently or sell them to help fund more rescues. (I don't think I count as a "hoarder"...at least not yet.) Tongue

Through my efforts, I've been able to save a ton of corals that would've died (haven't kept count), and I've learned a ton about pests, diseases, etc. This has been the most rewarding aspect I've found in the hobby, and I've decided to devote more time to it.

So, I now have an ~70g system I'm finishing to be a hospital rescue tank. I have just about every medication on hand for both fish and corals. All corals and fish will be treated for the basics first, then they will go into quarantine to make sure I haven't missed something. Once they go through quarantine, they will go into the hospital tank for healing.

I'm looking to get a nice microscope to study some of the rescues a bit better, and I also plan to get an Inland bandsaw so I can cut the larger corals. I would eventually like to set up a miniature laboratory to document and study everything properly.

Anyway, I'm just super excited, and I hope everyone can come check it out once it's completely up and running. I've asked most stores to let me know if they get a bad shipment in (weather, flight delays, etc.), and if anyone on here needs help saving a coral...let me know.

This is a list of some of my "saves" so far:

Edited by Reef'd Up - May 11 2012 at 5:20pm
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 7:59pm
This is awesome Nikki! I can't way to see how it takes shape!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 8:14pm
You're awesome.  That brain of mine is slowly recovering.  Still very bleached out, but it seems some of the greens are starting to get a lot more vibrant.  It's crazy how fast they bleach, but how long it takes them to recover.  Thanks for your blog.  I vouch for this lady. She is not a crazy person out looking for free stuff.  She generally cares.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by SkylerS SkylerS wrote:

That brain of mine is slowly recovering.  Still very bleached out, but it seems some of the greens are starting to get a lot more vibrant.  It's crazy how fast they bleach, but how long it takes them to recover. 

Glad to hear it's recovering!!  What are you feeding and how often?  I'd love to see some updated pics if you haven't already posted them.

Originally posted by SkylerS SkylerS wrote:

She is not a crazy person out looking for free stuff. 

LOL, too funny!  Nope...I've dropped quite a pretty penny on corals that I knew were going to die no matter what I did.  Just need to make sure I stay on the sane side of coral collecting...if there is such a thing.  Embarrassed    
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 10:31pm
I have a coral or 2 that I would donate to you. I used to follow your thread on RC but havent checked it out in the last year or so. You have done an amazing job at at what you do. Ive even thought of pm,ing you in the past to see if you would like to help this chalice out I have. If you would like to pm me feel free to do so, I wouldeven bring it to you as I would love to check out your things.
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2012 at 11:10pm
it was nice meeting you at Reef On today. Please post up some pics of the pieces you picked up, I would love to see how they turn out.
Some day, when I grow up,...

ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2012 at 12:34am
Originally posted by jaschall jaschall wrote:

I have a coral or 2 that I would donate to you. I used to follow your thread on RC but havent checked it out in the last year or so. You have done an amazing job at at what you do. Ive even thought of pm,ing you in the past to see if you would like to help this chalice out I have. If you would like to pm me feel free to do so, I wouldeven bring it to you as I would love to check out your things.

I'm trying to figure out how to work rescues for people (suggestions are encouraged!). I was thinking something along the line of giving me a frag of the rescue if I manage to save it for you (nothing if it doesn't work out of course). I don't want donations unless the coral/fish is just completely unwanted. I'm more than happy to see what I can do with the chalice. Hopefully the system will be finished by Sunday. It's been up and running for a while, but only as a 45g system (and it's pretty crappy right now.) You should check out the RC thread again...it's still going!

Originally posted by fishoutawater fishoutawater wrote:

it was nice meeting you at Reef On today. Please post up some pics of the pieces you picked up, I would love to see how they turn out.

Ah, it was nice meeting you too! (And nice to see a screenname to go with a face.) I got some pictures tonight, so I'll try to post them up tomorrow. Two of the rescues aren't taking food yet (of course, the two nicest pieces), but they're expanding out pretty nicely. We'll see! I'm trying the tip about the dosing. I'm skeptical, but if it works, then awesome!

Edited by Reef'd Up - May 12 2012 at 12:36am
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 8:40am
I can't wait to see what you have done down there. Let me know when you're ready for a tour.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 9:29pm
We met our deadline!  I am pleased to present the Reef'd Up Rescue! 

The fish room:

Hospital System:

Quarantine Systems (corals on left, fish on right):

Hospital System Closeup:

Meds:

Chems:

www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2012 at 9:38pm
Current rescues:

Closeups of rescues:

Scoly rescue:

Rescue Yuma (was bleached to zero color):

Rescue...something?  Trachy?

Rescue lobo (this is all that was left of a huge colony):

Rescue Favia:

Rescue Cynarina (I think...hard to tell at this point):
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 1:37pm
This is awesome Nikki! I love this idea, I look forward to following the progress of the corals!!! Kudos to you!
Pam

The only clowns I like are in my tank!

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 2:00pm
Nikki you are my hero! This is AWESOME.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 2:21pm
Wow thats outstanding!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 5:32pm
ClapClap from my wife and I.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
TSUNAMI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSUNAMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 10:00pm
Way cool, very sweet setup!!! 
135 Reef Vortech mp40w & mp60
40 SPS w Maxspect-Ps & MP10w
220 Build in progress :)
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2012 at 10:49pm
I have seen it in person and it's a great setup. Good place to learn responsible reefkeeping and some slick tricks that make life easier! Pretty soon the 150 will be completely up. It's already cool, can't wait to see it all stocked up with fish and coral.

Edited by Fatman - May 14 2012 at 10:51pm
xingqing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xingqing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2012 at 3:15am
Thank you for all the things learned from here and congratulations for the good work.
I love music, I love life, I love Authentic watch shop too.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 8:40pm
I've been working on a compilation of all the before & afters...here's a small fraction of what I've done so far:

Chalice dying in a neglected tank:

Acropora with red bugs and AEFW:

Acanthastrea...guessing it was some of the micro pods eating it:

Acanthastrea from a bad shipment, poor water, and bad fragging:

Acanthastrea...guessing micro pods again?:
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 8:42pm
Anemone:

Favia in bad water:

Caulestrea with brown jelly:

Chalice suffering from poor water quality:

Acanthastrea suffering from poor water quality:
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2013 at 8:43pm
looking good.  I know I keep saying it I am really need to stop by some day and talk salt. 
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic