Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

the exploding tank...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lemonpeel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemonpeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the exploding tank...
    Posted: April 22 2012 at 9:37am
My 20 gallon looks like a firecracker went off in it... its cloudy and smells like sulfur. what should I do? I'm gonna do a water change or 2 today and pray that nothing died off...

DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 9:41am
Were you running a Stealth heater? I would suggest water changes and a fair amount of carbon.

Edited by DLindquist - April 22 2012 at 9:42am
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Lemonpeel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemonpeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 11:18am
I was running a tetra submersible heater, I did my water changes, but nothing survived the assault. I've come to the conclusion that my tank went anaerobic last night and everything died off from lack of oxygen, this triggered the bacteria to go back to anaerobic respiration, causing them to release sulfur into the water column.  Are there any science nerds out there to help me with correct terminology would be great.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 11:26am
...Interesting
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 2:39pm
did you loose water movement to cause it?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Lemonpeel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemonpeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 2:48pm
I always have my return pump and a 500gph Aqueon circulation pump running in it. I'm not sure why it did it...
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by Lemonpeel Lemonpeel wrote:

I was running a tetra submersible heater, I did my water changes, but nothing survived the assault. I've come to the conclusion that my tank went anaerobic last night and everything died off from lack of oxygen, this triggered the bacteria to go back to anaerobic respiration, causing them to release sulfur into the water column.  Are there any science nerds out there to help me with correct terminology would be great.

What is your reasoning for that?  It seems unlikely to me unless you did something really crazy with the tank.
Lemonpeel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemonpeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2012 at 10:52pm
I didn't do anything to the tank besides a water change and added a conch. I did try to siphon out as much Cyano as I could. I also added another pump to add more water flow.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 2:13pm
I'm curious about the current water parameters:
Salinity
Temp
Alk
Ca
How old is the tank?
Was the water change different than usual?
Sulfur smell might come from disturbing a lower level of the sand bed. Did that happen?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Lemonpeel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemonpeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 2:23pm
I'm not sure on my params.. didn't test them yesterday. my waterchange was the same as usual.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 3:03pm
I still find your conclusion very interesting. Even more interested in how you came up with it?

SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 4:43pm
I agree with mark about the sandbed.  If you were siphoning the sandbed and disturbed the sandbed in to to the denitrifying anaerobic layers it would cause problems.  I don't know about the look of a firecracker going off in it, but a disturbed deep sand bed would account for the sulfur smell and the release of toxins in to the water column.  You mentioned you added a conch, was it very large?  I'm wondering if it punched a hole in your sand bed releasing hydrogen sulfide from the anoxic portion of the sand bed.  This is a problem many encounter when moving tanks with old deep sand beds.  If the conch was large, and your sand bed unable to accommodate him, I'd bet that is your answer.  Sorry for your loss.
Lemonpeel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemonpeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2012 at 4:53pm
I see, that would make sence. guess that's why thought it went anaerobic.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Lemonpeel Lemonpeel wrote:

I'm not sure on my params.. didn't test them yesterday.
Really?
I would understand if you don't have Alk and Ca test kits. It's not that well known how important those 2 tests are but we don't even have your answer to the question about temperature and salinity.Confused
FYI, these four are the most important parameters to know in reef keeping.
Without that information we could guess all day long about the cause but never really know.
This MB really does know how to get to the root cause and resolve almost every problem, but not without the right information.

To be frank, I have a concern with this tank if the simple actions of a Conch stirred up a sand bed that had enough trouble in it to cause your "explosion". You mentioned that Cyano is a problem too. Frankly, if it smelled like sulfur, I would have immediately removed everything to a safe place and done a 100% water change.
If you want our honest help, we need more information:
At this point, days later, how much and what things have died or disappeared?
Temp, Salinity, Alk and Ca?
How old is the sandbed and what is the filtration for this aquarium?
Can we see a before and after pic?

Edited by Mark Peterson - April 24 2012 at 11:04am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SkylerS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkylerS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 1:32pm
I agree mark, but be a little easy on the poor guy.  I bow to your wisdom, and he should definitely at least have his sg and temps, the VERY basic of even saltwater fish keeping.  But as for the conch, I could see it happening.  Specifically if he had a relatively shallow, old sand bed, and if he had no sifters or sand dwellers like nassarius etc.  There's a conch at the LFS that would require at least a 6 inch DSB, and if that guy went home to like a 2 inch sandbed he'd likely turn all the sand causing a similar scenario IF the tank was old and circumstances similar.  I just can't fathom any other reason that would release all this junk in to his tank and kill everything minus a severely disturbed sandbed, from either the conch or a displaced power head. 

Lemon peel, as fun as it is to go to the LFS and grab something that catches your eye, it's really a good practice to go home and research on what you want to buy.  Making sure that the desired specimen is compatible with your system and that you can meet it's requirement.  I've done this myself, buying something and getting it home and it either dies or cause havoc in my tank because I didn't research it and found that it would be incompatible with my system.  I would hope that you learned a lesson here, don't let it discourage you from rebuilding. 
Lemonpeel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemonpeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2012 at 1:58pm
Thanks guys... actually got the conch cause I heard that they eat cyano. I am going to rebuild in a month or 2 then mm get a thread ging for the new build.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic