Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

March Meeting Recap - - - !!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: March Meeting Recap - - - !!!
    Posted: March 02 2012 at 3:53pm
WMAS Club Meeting - March 1, 7:00 PM @ Rose Garden

The meeting started off with President Steve Ekins presenting the WMAS March 2012 Tank Of The Month - the sweet 29 Biocube belonging to Paul Klason and Cheryl Prawl (pklason):

Then it was on to the Main Event(s) - a "homegrown" WMAS Double Feature ClapClap

First up, Paul Locke (Builderofdreams) gave an in-depth presentation on "Marine Aquarium Coral & Livestock Toxins" designed to "literally" scare the heck out of you Shocked

Paul was a little nervous when he first took the stage - you guys have no idea how nerve-wracking it can be to have to get up and do a presentation like this - but then he relaxed a bit and got right down to business:

After a nasty encounter with a Lionfish, Paul did his homework - and discovered just how dangerous this hobby can be... to the uneducated hobbyist, of course.

And he has made it his mission to educate us all on the potential dangers lurking in our seemingly innocent little pieces of the reef:

Lionfish stings HURT Ouch

And the little Stonefish flat out KILLS Dead

Fancy a little "fugu" meal at the Japanese restaurant? It could be your LAST

And those cute little, colorful little corals?  Some of the most toxic poisons ON THE PLANET DeadDeadDead

Final Breath Favias

Grim Reaper Gorgonias

Last Roundup Lobophyllia

and the worst of all is the DIRT NAP Palythoa - these toxic little turds can kill a grown man in as little as 12 MINUTES DeadDeadDead

So, remember Paul's "3 Golden Rules" -

1) Carbon - lots of it, and change it frequently

2) Water changes - more than once a year, please

3) "Child proof" all your chemicals, or at least lock them up!

and please, please, PLEASE -

Don't eat while fragging corals!!!

(Danh, put that sandwich down!!! Wink)

Edited by BobC63 - March 02 2012 at 4:12pm
- My Current Tank: 150g Mixed Reef -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 4:11pm
The second half of our "doubleheader" featured Jake Pehrson (JakePehrson) giving us all a demo on "How to Frag Corals... Safely!"

"Palythoas? I snack on those daily!"

But seriously, Jake showed us how to safely use a bandsaw, bone cutters, and scissor to frag just about any coral:

Softies do best with a scissor and a rubber band or some 'bridal viel' to hold them tight:

Wire cutters or bone cutters take care of your Acroporas just fine:

Use a bandsaw to cut around the indiviual polyps on colony animals like this Favia:

Smaller polyped colony animals like Galaxia you an just cut to desired size:

Here's that 'Bridal Veil' trick:

Best of all, after the demo was done, all Paid Members got to choose a fresh-cut frag to take home...

FREE!!! StarStarStar

I got a nice piece of Pocillopora that's already looking good!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks ( as always!) to the wonderful Russ & Carolyn Bagshaw for providing the tasty cakes, cookies and snacks Clap

And it was nice to see Reef Kingdom back with a tank full of sweet frags for sale! Clap

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's it for March - next up in April....

FRAGSTOCK II - The Sequel

jwoo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 4:16pm
This meeting had some great information. I learned a few things from Paul that I did not know. I think it's awesome how passionate he was about keeping everyone safe!

Jake gave an awesome demonstration on how to frag corals. I was in the back and I even heard Dave from ReefKingdom comment on how he hadn't thought of a few of the ideas Jake had.

Great meeting!

Thanks for everyone braving the snow to come out to the meeting. Despite the snow we had a packed house! It was a little scary on my drive home though . . . managed to see not one, not two, but three people slide off the road!
120 Gallon Reef

29 Gallon Biocube
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 4:22pm
Some of my favorite points from the meeting last night:

We can test for calcium, alkalinity, temperature, etc. But we can't test for toxins and chemicals. Sometimes when your fish or corals start dying and you can't find anything wrong that is problem.

Best way to remove toxins.... water change. Also carbon.

Paul said he'd rather have a coral with big sweeper tentacles that kills than a coral that just releases toxins. Very good point.

Corals (like just about all animals) survive by killing, eating, and reproducing. They are actively trying to kill at all times.

Much like gasoline, if people had known how dangerous corals are years ago we never would have been able to buy them today.

In addition to what is in your tank, many dangers are around your tank. They don't put child safety caps on calcium chloride and maybe they should. Keep that stuff safely away from your kids.

Don't use rubberbands on frags if you can help it. Jake's bridal veil method (tulle) is a great alternative.

Epoxy doesn't stick to corals, but it can wedge frags into place.

Colonial corals are much easier to frag than solitary corals. Single polyps can be done, but Jake says it is risky.

That's what comes to mind right off...
Adam
Next Meeting: Annual Banquet!
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 6:05pm
got a great frag of some aog zoa's. whoever brought those, thank you. also im in most of the pictures, being the bald head in the front row :)
why do i pick the expensive hobbies.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2012 at 9:27am
Here is a copy of the Coral Fragging Safety handout that was distributed at the March meeting (for those who misssed out):

It is a pdf that you can print out at home  to stay safe while fragging those corals Thumbs Up

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 4:01pm
Did everyone see this on Reef Builders this weekend!!!!!

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/04/palytoxin/

Adam
Next Meeting: Annual Banquet!
jeromy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeromy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Did everyone see this on Reef Builders this weekend!!!!!

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/04/palytoxin/

Adam

Yikes!
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2012 at 9:21pm
Thanks everyone for the recap - I didn't make the meeting, but I was still able to learn some things.

Good stuff

Linn
Pay it forward...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic