Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 270 G. Tank! 72"x37"x24"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
Author
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2012 at 9:49pm
I guess the motto is "Go Big or Go Home"!!

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 7:45am
Awesome. Same size as my tank (I think). This will be great!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 8:00am
Adam,

Cool! I'll be asking for lots of advice as things move along!

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 9:14am
Originally posted by troyholl troyholl wrote:

I guess the motto is "Go Big or Go Home"!!

I would also add...or Go Home Big! (with a big tank of course )

This sounds like it'll be a fun project to follow! Good luck and have fun! Don't forget to post pics as things move along.
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 1:33pm
Things are moving along a bit. The tank is on order and Eric has the glass on the way! I've been cleaning up the closet that will become the fish room. Also tore out a cabinet in the family room that had to go to make room for the wife's gym equipment that is moving out of the way for the new Library/Study/Fish room. The hardwood that will replace the carpet is on order and will be installed in a week or two.

Right now I'm planning out a few things:

* I'm going to go with 4- Ecotech Radian LEDs to light this baby up!
*2 Vortech MP40's from my 90 Gallon and 2- MP10's that will be new. I'm planning on selling the 90-gallon tank when the move is completed
* Reeflo Hammerhead pump for the return
* Neptune Apex control just because I can't resist having control of my system from an iPad or iPhone!

I'm thinking of having Elite-Aquatics build the sump as I think their custom sumps look darn good! I want my fish room to be very clean, organized, and just as much a show-room as the main Library/Study/Fish room will be. I'll also put in a Frag tank as well as a quarantine tank into the fish room. Hope to pick up those from someone selling used on this site! I also need to find a builder for the stand; someone who can do a good job matching up the style of the existing bookshelves in the library.

Give me suggestions!!

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
grassfairy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grassfairy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 2:19pm
I would contact Dion Richins, he is your guy for cabinetry. Check out their website, the have built some amazing stands and canopies.
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 2:48pm
Thanks. I'll contact him. I'll likely get a few quotes...
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by troyholl troyholl wrote:

I'm thinking of having Elite-Aquatics build the sump as I think their custom sumps look darn good! I want my fish room to be very clean, organized, and just as much a show-room as the main Library/Study/Fish room will be.

+1 on Tyler's (Elite-Aquatics) work - he is the Master...2 words: Meticulous Craftsmanship
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 10:41pm
< ="" ="text/" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0"> Some places to see what we have done would be

Not to knock any one else because I can think of a couple here that do great work. But I believe we sit right up there with the best when it comes to building quality aquarium furniture.
I look forward to meeting you and going over what we can do for you.

Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2012 at 10:45pm
Dion...

Nice looking builds on your site; I look forward to talking to you!
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 12:16am
Your Aquarium is 90% completed, I will take a few pics tomorrow.
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 9:09am
Ok; to catch everyone up... great progress is being made!

1st; the demo in the fish room/equipment room has been completed. I ripped out most of the existing closet style organizers out of the room; carpet is gone, and the wiring has begun!

The 1st of the equipment has began to arrive! Here is the return pump I'll be using; its a Reeflo Hammerhead Gold!

FireShrimp (Eric D.) has got the glass and the tank construction is moving fast! I think he's excited to build the even bigger tank that is after mine!!

Finally.... the new Hardwood floor for the LIbrary/Fishroom is 95% done! The glue is setting over the weekend and the trim will be finished on Monday.

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 9:15am
To add a couple more pieces of the plan! 

As I mention above, the tank is being custom built by Eric at Aquarium Creations!

The sump; a frag tank; and the skimmer I will be using are being custom build by Tyler at Elite Aquatics!! I can't wait to see them!

And the stand/build in bookcase is being built by Dion Richins!

I purchased the 50 Gallon CAD lighting Artisan tank that SnowSfsr was selling as a QT. I also purchased his lighting and sump (also from Tyler) as well!

I guess you can say I'm keeping it within the club!!

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 12:38pm
I'm all about "going big". However, that Hammerhead is a lot of pump. I would venture to say- too much pump. What are your plumbing schematics? We started with the same sized pump and soon downgraded to the Barracuda, which still had to be throttled back.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 1:11pm
Wow this is going to be beautiful!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 1:18pm
Yea, those reeflo pumps do work, they just move SO much water. If you wanted to stay with a huge pump like that you could do 2 overflows or maybe even more.
Josh M.
Phone: 406.471.1334
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 1:31pm
I'll have two return lines; will split them into two each, and will be feeding a frag tank and refs as well.
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 1:48pm
alright, you should be alright then.
Any idea what powerheads your going to use? 2 MP40s?
Josh M.
Phone: 406.471.1334
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 2:01pm
2 MP40s and 2 MP10s

Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Josh95 Josh95 wrote:

alright, you should be alright then.
Any idea what powerheads your going to use? 2 MP40s?

Josh, I'm curious at to what makes you assume he'll be alright?

Troyholl, I hope you don't mind the discussion-
Early estimates lead me to believe your DT and total volume will be very close to ours. We have dual 1" drains which bump to a 2" return on the way back to the sump (approximately 16' away). I also feed a 75G isolation tank through the return and have a manifold set up for a UV sterilizer and a mongrove grow out. With all that, I've still had to throttle the pump to about half capacity to allow the DT drains to keep up. Maybe I missed the details, how far away will your "fish room" sit and is it on the same floor or a different level?
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 16>
  Share Topic