Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shark Men Rule!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Summertop View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shark Men Rule!
    Posted: February 03 2012 at 9:06am
For those that missed the banquet and shark men last night...that is too bad, it was AWESOME.

I was impressed by these guys. They were informative, passionate, and entertaining. They are really "Affecting Policy" to help protect our oceans. They are also very gracious and friendly. Here is an email that Brandon sent to our club this morning:

Quote I just wanted to thank you for inviting us out last night for your winter banquet. I felt the banquet was well done and all your members are super friendly. I hope that everyone there got their chance to ask questions and talk with us...I'm feeling like I didn't get to visit with everyone :( Thank you again for your invite and support...and thank you again for all WMAS does to educate others and protect reefs from around the world. I wish your club and members all the best and continued success.

Sincerely,

Brandon Eyre

National Geographic's Shark Med

I can't immagine how cool it would be, to be out there catchimg FIVE THOUSAND pound sharks ALIVE!

As a reminder, Season 3 of Shark Men premiers on April 10th!

WMAS wants to give a BIG THANKS to Chris, Whitey, Brandon, and the rest for sharing the evening with us.
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
You can buy your 2017 membership Here!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 11:05am
CHRIS FISCHER = 1/2 Awesome + 1/2 KICK-ASS   Smile

These banquets keep getting better and better!  My wife was disappointed that the fish meeting ended so soon!  Let me repeat that: MY-WIFE-WAS-DISAPPOINTED-THAT-THE FISH-MEETING-ENDED-SO-SOON. Any of you reefers out there that struggle getting your spouse involved and interested in your hobby - do not miss the banquet!  I know its too late now - but there is always next year.

Many thanks to all who worked to put this meeting together.  A special shout-out to AnnaLee Winterbottom.  She transformed the Rose Garden House into something truly spectacular. 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 11:23am
Exactly what Shane said.

Adam
Next Meeting: Macro Algae
mikenmandymoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 11:42am
I third that feeling!  It was AMAZING to listen to what they are doing and to be able to visit with them about everything we ever wondered about research.  Adam was right when he said that these guys are 1/2 awesome and 1/2 bad ass!!!
jwoo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 11:45am
It was an awesome night! Probably the best meeting I've been to since I started coming to meetings.

Also AnnaLee is amazing!
120 Gallon Reef

29 Gallon Biocube
awinter View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awinter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 3:08pm
Thank you everyone! It was a great night with friends.

For those of you that couldn't make it , here of some pictures of what you missed out on.

Edited by awinter - February 03 2012 at 3:09pm
The MWRF was AWESOME! You really missed out if you didn't come.
DanhNgo View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 4:40pm
It was perfect. Thank you for everyone's hardwork and those who were able to join us.

Edited by DanhNgo - February 03 2012 at 4:40pm
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 8:14pm
All I can say is...

Was this possibly our BEST CLUB MEETING... EVER?!!!

This certainly was the best Banquet Dinner EVER, that is for sure!!!!

- The place was absolutely packed

- The decorations were absolutely fantastic  (Annalee, you are 'da bomb'!)

- The food was absolutely delicious and almost too much to eat

- And the "Shark Men"?... Some of the best guests we have ever ever EVER had - period!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me digress for just a minute...

To those few who balked at getting tickets because they were afraid it "wasn't going to be that good..." or "I don't know about the food..." or "Is it really worth it? (the $20 ticket price)..."

(I know, I know, I know, those of you who were there last night are all going like "Was it worth it? Who said that? Are they CRAZY???... Was it worth it? They could have charged $50 a ticket and it woulda still been 'worth it'...!"

I hear ya, but for the education of those who missed out - just bear with me a minute here...)

OK, back on track. Wink

Let me just say - for those who missed it...

GET READY TO EAT YOUR HEARTS OUT WHEN YOU SEE WHAT YOU MISSED OUT ON!!!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You say you want to see MORE PICTURES....well, I got 'em!

Give me an hour to load them all...

and then GET READY!

- My Current Tank: 150g Mixed Reef -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:15pm
Here they are -
The Banquet kicked off with Adam serving as Master of ceremonies. All the 2011 POTMs were up on the video screen -
Including Nick Tenney's (Nick801) POTY = Picture Of The Year

And the place was jam-packed!

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 10:38pm
After the appetizers (baked salmon, jumbo shrimp, cruit de tats - that's fancy French for "assorted veggie platter" LOL) and a little time to socialize - dinner was served...
I had the roast pork with stuffing; my wife had the Chicken Cordon Blue...
We had the pleasure of being seated with Brandon and Brent from Shark Men...my wife was definitely digging that

They weren't kidding when they announced you will need 2 plates for all the food... I had salads and buttered rolls on one plate, and the entree, veggies and baked potato on the other plate!
But the time I ws finished I was stuffed... and then the Shark Men guys were like " you can go back and get more..."
I was like "I am sooo full, you guys are crazy!"

After dinner, it was the moment we had all waited for...

"SHARK MEN" TIME

Edited by BobC63 - February 04 2012 at 10:20am

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 11:08pm
My wife Really enjoyed this meeting.  That was her exact words when we were driving home last night.

Another thumbs up for the presidency and all those who put this great night together.

Fantastic "Spouse factor"  Night.Wink
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 9:42am
Biggest banquet yet. I didn't think we could add the extra tables (nor did I think we'd sell that many tickets) but I guess we did.

My wife also loved the evening.

Adam
Next Meeting: Macro Algae
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 10:14am
Interesting, how the comment about "how much my wife / girlfriend enjoyed the Banquet" keeps popping up... (my wife already wants to know when we can bring them back)...
I also noticed that the autograph line - that's right, along with your dinner and the whole Shark Men presentation (videos, slide show, and discussion) Chris, Brandon and Whitey brought a stack of 8X10 glossy photos and autographed them FREE for everybody; AND they graciously posed for photos with everyone who brought a camera, too! - anyway, I noticed that the autograph line had more women than men in it Shocked

Actually, I'm not surpised... those guys were handsome, friendly, funny, sociable... and they certainly have a cooler job than most of the rest of us.

I'm thinking there are probably a few WMAS ladies out there who got a little "Shark Men crush" going on right now Heart

Anyway, I have so many more photos... I need to stop typing and just put them up Thumbs Up

Chris Fischer,  Shark Men Team leader

Sorry, ladies - he's married LOL

The slide show and video presentation was totally kick-ass Cool

Look at this shot!

There was just SO much information, data, charts, graphs... everyone left the Banquet knowing WAY more about sharks than they thought possible. These guys really know their stuff!

Yes, folks, that is a 20 foot long GREAT WHITE SHARK Shocked

The Shark Men motto - "NEVER GIVE UP"

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 11:44am
Along with the awesome Shark Men presentation, we had a sweet Gift Basket raffle -

Thanks to Sara for putting the baskets together - they looked great! Clap

Everyone who came got a free raffle ticket - and 5 lucky people left with baskets full of cool stuff!

After the presentation, Chris, Brandon and Whitey held a Q & A session for the Banquet guests

Next, it was time for autographs and photos with the guys Star

Thanks to Steve and Adam for putting all this together Clap

Thanks to Annalee and Sara for the great job decorating and making the gift baskets for the raffle Clap

Thanks to Red Flame Caterers for another great Banquet meal Clap

And a big thanks to the entire "Shark Men" cast and crew for a great night! ClapClapClapClapClap

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2012 at 2:06pm
So - in summary...

The Wasatch Marine Aquarium Society 2012 Winter Banquet was one of the best Club events of All - Time!!!

Attendees were treated to:

- A fabulous dinner featuring appetizers, entree, side dishes, breads, drinks and dessert. The food was both delicious and abundant

- A great night of entertainment featuring the cast and crew of National Geographic's Hit TV Show "Shark Men", including a fantastic "kick ass" video presentation, a live Q & A with the cast, and personalized autograph and photo session

-  A free Gift Basket Raffle

- All in a wonderfully decorated Rose Garden Banquet Room

Oh, and since Nat Geo filmed the entire thing...

YOU might get to see yourself on the next episode of...

SHARK  MEN 

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic