Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flatworms????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
CCrabtree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrabtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Flatworms????
    Posted: January 29 2012 at 10:29pm
Is this a flatworm?  They aren't much bigger than 1mm and kinda glide across the glass. I have a few on the glass. They have kind of a red/orange tint to them and just appeared the last couple of days. Good/Bad??? Not sure how they came all of a sudden.  Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 11:22pm
Looks like it could be, can't quite tell. If so one of the best ways I have gotten rid of them is to get a Christmas wrasse or something like a coris wrasse they will eat them.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Teknik777 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teknik777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2012 at 11:54pm
I think its a baby pod.
220 G SPS Display.

arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 8:16am
It doesn't look like a flatworm from what I can see. It does look more a some type of pod. Take a look at this website it should help:

http://www.xtalworld.com/Aquarium/hitchfaq.htm

Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 9:27am
It kind of looks like a flatworm to me. There are some that multiply so fast they are a problem, so I would keep an eye on it and see if they are growing to fast or causing a problem. If they do then Jackie's advice would work and there are several other options out there too.
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 9:41am
Its hard to tell from that picture, I would say you have a chance that it is, or a chance that its more of a pod (which im leaning towards)

I would get a wrasse just to be safe..... plus what a great excuse to go and buy a new fish!

BTW have you introduced anything new to the tank in the last month or so? (Curious because they all of the sudden started to appear)
Enthalpy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enthalpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 11:05am

Looks like a faltworm to me! Flatworm exit works real well or do what others suggested and get a melanurus wrasse, six line, or yellow coris. Those worked for me in the past =].

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 12:02pm
I say flatworm too.  Especially from your description of it.  Best fix I have found is Yellow Tail Blue Damsels.  Wiped out an infestation in my tank a few years ago and my original school of 10, now 6, has never been problem children in my tank.
CCrabtree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrabtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 2:43pm
Thanks everyone!  I think it is the small flatworms because they are much different than any of the pods that I have in my tank. I added an anemone about 2-3 weeks ago so maybe that was it but I haven't added anything for quite a while besides that. I will probably end up getting a yellow coris wrasse, since that was on my initial list of fish to get so hopefully that takes care of the problem.
Also, around the same time I noticed that I have A LOT of those digitate hydroid worms that come out at night.  I've tried manually removing them but they seem to be getting worse. Do you guys have any advice on how to get rid of those??  
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 3:16pm
My yellow coris wrasse and melanarus wrasse are kinda my flatworm and other pest insurance. I dont think I have an issue with them, but while I have the wrasse I shouldnt ever get surprised by a sudden boom of pests.
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 4:53pm

Looks like the flatworms everyone had back in Ohio.  Usually the two-tailed tiny brown flatworms (looks like what you have) are pretty harmless.  They wax and wane in population size, do not cover corals, and tend to just hang out on the glass.  Flatworm Exit does NOT work on these, in any concentration (except maybe 100%, but that's not reef-safe).  It killed a few, but mostly just made them run around like crazy.  Also, wrasses were shown not to actually eat flatworms in a fairly recent study...they just bite them and spit them back out (very fast...too fast usually for the naked eye.)  So, they aren't a great control. 

If I were you, just accept them as part of your reef.  If they are the same thing as what most of us had in Ohio, they're not an issue. 
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 6:06pm
Welcome to the WMAS, one of the best places in the world for factual info about Reefkeeping.
I agree completely with Reef'd Up.
As soon as I saw it knew it was a flatworm just like the ones that grew in my Nemo Nursery. Mostly clear to cloudy white color.
Those are not harmful, I'll post a pic below of the Flatworms that can get out of control and be unsightly, though they are not really harmful either.Smile

The fact is, 99.9% of the species of animals we see in our reef aquariums are not harmful. They are part of the healthy ocean ecosystem that we are trying to replicate.

These "digitate hydroid worms you are speaking of, I'll bet they are not harmful either. Some new hobbyists see what are called Bristleworms and get real worried. Not to worry mate. They are actually part of the cleanup crew of a healthy reef aquarium. I'll post a pic of the way they look when the hobbyist feeds too much and they have just been eating the overfeeding.

For other helpful Reefkeeping Tips found right here on this MB, see the links in my signature line

Nuisance Flatworms

Overfed Bristleworm population and the best trap made with bridal veil netting wrapped/tied loosely around a cube of frozen meaty food with fishing line. Just pull it out when it's tangled with Bristleworms. Big smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 6:56pm
Thanks Mark...your last photo is going to give me nightmares.  Blech!
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 9:02pm
Me too that last pic is just creepy!!!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 10:45pm
I think its a flat worm. I had them in a old system and they looked just like that. I would use flatworm exit and get rid of them before they get out of control!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
CCrabtree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCrabtree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 11:29pm
Thanks for all the advice. With me being new to the hobby I want to try and avoid as many problems as possible. Thank you for the pictures. I will keep an eye on the flatworms and plan on getting a coris wrasse anyway in the future cause I want some yellow in my tank. Here is a picture of the digitate hydroids that come out at night. I only am worried about them because most say they are bad. I will let them be for now but they seem to be multiplying like crazy and i just don't want them to be a problem down the road as i add more coral. Does anyone know what to do to get rid of them if i need to?
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 5:50am
Digitate hydroids will also come and go with the food supply.  If they are multiplying like crazy, then you may be overfeeding.  Some have trouble with them bothering corals, but they never really bothered mine. 
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 9:01am
I agree with Reef'd Up.
Again, 99.5 of the species we see in our tanks are never a problem. The remaining 0.5% we know how to handle. Smile
If the tank is left alone and new things are left to live out their lives, you will be constantly amazed at the new organisms you see for a while, but then never see again or glimpse a few months later.
An aquarium evolves and matures as it grows. It is always changing.
Every tank is different depending on the differences in the individual items that went into the tank. What "many" people call a problem may never get out of hand in your tank.
Be careful not to try to control things, but rather let the tank do it's thing and watch the amazing transformation that occurs as it grows and matures.

The information in these two Tips links should be very helpful:
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rbrinton2373 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rbrinton2373 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2012 at 7:37pm
I found this post on another site after doing a search for natural predators for flatworms and other unwanted critters.

"Get a pack of fairy wrasses... best eradicators ever. ONE 6-line isnt going to bother much... but when you have that 'competitive instinct' triggered by having more than just 1 or 2... they mop up fast. I was shocked how fast a pack of 5 temmincki wrasses polished off a severe infestation of thousands within a week or so. I was just about to dose interceptor, but they cleared all of them out in the tank like hoovers. Since then, I have used packs of fairy wrasses for flatworm control... never seen one since. Most all of them will eat them too... maybe Solars being the only exception... my pack of 8 solars didnt seem to eat microverts much... they again, there werent many left after the temmincki's, lineatus, exquisite, and others cleaned up. But Scott's, Rhomboids, etc... all will take them out. Even flashers and carpenter wrasses... and from what I hear, flamebacks as well. Leopard wrasses will too, but just one on its own wont make a huge impact..."

After looking up some of those wrasses the descriptions say they don't pick at invertebrates much and will starve if they are not supplemented several times a day with frozen foods.

Does anyone know if they are any good at controlling flatworm infestations? Will they starve if I don't feed them 2-3 times a day? I would probably have to stick to the carpenter or flashers do to my tank size?  Just looking for some insight.  Thanks in advance for all that you might have.
Ryan
Semper Fi
60 gal cube w/39 gal Sump\
MH + T5s
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic