Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anne's 65g RSM Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anne's 65g RSM Reef
    Posted: January 21 2012 at 4:30pm

Well I went from a year-old nano cube to a 65gallon RedSea Max about a month ago. I just got the rest of the rock I needed to create a better aquascape yesterday, and finished it up last night. Currently there are 2 oscellaris clownfish, 1 Red Sea Sailfin Tang, 1 Powder Blue Tang, and 1 Yellow-Eyed Tang. For now the only "decorative" inverts I have are a peppermint shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, and a RBTA. Obviously there is a CUC and some nice corals, many of which are from awesome people around here. Thanks everyone for your help and contributions! :)

Full Tank Shot

Red Sea Sailfin Tang

Anemone Crab

Cleaner Shrimp

Peppermint Shrimp

Red Bubble Tip Anemone

Red Acan

Blue Candy Cane Coral

Red Candy Cane Coral

Hammer Coral-Green Tip/Pink Stem

Torch Coral

Watermelon Zoanthids

Pink Birdsnest, Zoanthids, and Green Montipora Capricornis

View the Full Album Here

Edited by Ann_A - January 03 2014 at 7:05pm
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 9:45pm
Sweet!

I too just set up a Red Sea Max 250 two weeks ago and love it.

Linn

Pay it forward...
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 2:16pm
I love mine so far, although the protein skimmer doesn't seem to adjust well for me; it's either foaming so bad that it's sucking water out of the tank and overflowing within 5 minutes, or it's not foaming at all. I'm probably going to through some other skimmer in, or convert that space into a refugium, haven't decided which though.

Originally posted by griffith griffith wrote:

Sweet!

Linn

Awesome!

Have you had trouble adjusting your skimmer? If not, I'd like some advice to see if I can get mine to work better.
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Ann_A Ann_A wrote:

I love mine so far, although the protein skimmer doesn't seem to adjust well for me; it's either foaming so bad that it's sucking water out of the tank and overflowing within 5 minutes, or it's not foaming at all. I'm probably going to through some other skimmer in, or convert that space into a refugium, haven't decided which though.

Originally posted by griffith griffith wrote:

Sweet!

Linn

Awesome!

Have you had trouble adjusting your skimmer? If not, I'd like some advice to see if I can get mine to work better.
I've had one running for over a year now. I think your tank may need to establish a bioload before it starts working properly. If I remember right it took awhile before mine started working properly. Just be patient. It actually works pretty good.

John
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 3:42pm
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I did move 30lbs of rock, lots of corals, and the 2 clowns over from a 28 gallon nano cube, but I guess that really isn't enough of a bioload for the skimmer to start pulling stuff out of the water.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 5:51pm
Looking good so far!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 10:28am
I recently lost the Powder Blue and Yellow Eye to ich, but the Sailfin is making a great recovery. I don't think the clowns were affected by the ich, and they're still doing great, so I'm not worried.

I've also acquired a bit more coral, and changed the aquascaping slighting. I will try to post pics later.

Oh, and the skimmer is now working great, so I guess I did just need to wait a little longer.
Holyzion View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holyzion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2012 at 10:32am
Sorry to hear about the loss of your fish and i hope the sail fin makes a quick recovery soon!
74G Mixed Reef
3G Picotope
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2012 at 11:13pm
Yesterday I installed an AquaUV 15 watt UV sterilizer using the accessory kit, and just plumbing it using the return pump. I'm hoping to add a media reactor and chiller into this line soon. Since feeding using garlic to feed, the ich is all but gone from the Sailfin, but the clowns have a little bit on them, although it has decreased over the past few days since I added a cleaner wrasse. I've also collected a few more corals over the past little while, as well as a large green bubble tip anemone that I got today. I'll be posting new pictures tomorrow, which will also be added to my original album on photobucket located here.

Edited by Ann_A - February 26 2012 at 8:44pm
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 5:27pm
Full Tank Shot

Green Bubble Tip Anemone (aout 6" across)

Cleaning Station!

Sailfin Tang-making a great recovery from ich

Edited by Ann_A - February 26 2012 at 8:44pm
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 5:31pm
The cleaner shots are so cool. Great lookin tank.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 5:44pm
Frogspawn, Hammers, Torch

Blue Candy Canes

Red Candy Canes

Rainbow Zoa Rock

Pink Birdsnest, Montipora, Zoas

Neon Green Candy Cane

Green Pocillopora Frags

Tiger Sand Conch

Cleaner Wrasse

Clown Hosting with Red Bubble Tip Anemone

View From Left Side

View From Right Front

Edited by Ann_A - February 26 2012 at 8:45pm
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 6:01pm
I uploaded over 300 new photos to the photobucket album today, so if you want to see more of the tank, there's lots more here.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feeding Schedule:
Frozen Mysis Shrimp (target feed corals)
Pellet Food 2 days
Frozen Cyclopeeze (target feed corals)
Pellet Food 2 days

Current Parameters:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Phosphates 0ppm
Ph 8.0
Day Temperature 79-80F
Night Temperature 77-78F
Specific Gravity 1.025
Calcium 480ppm
Alk/dKh 7.9

I have also stopped running the skimmer over the last 3 days since it was adding a ton of heat to my tank, and even with the cooling fans running my daytime temperature was a good 84F. I already know that I am going to need a chiller, come summer. That will be plumbed in line with the UV sterilizer, and hopefully a carbon reactor.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 6:53pm
I have also stopped running the skimmer over the last 3 days since it was adding a ton of heat to my tank, and even with the cooling fans running my daytime temperature was a good 84F. I already know that I am going to need a chiller, come summer. That will be plumbed in line with the UV sterilizer, and hopefully a carbon reactor.[/QUOTE]

While the pump for the skimmer may run a little warm, it should not be heating up your tank. If it is really contributing that much heat to the system- there may be something wrong with the pump. I would also venture to say you should be able to get by without a chiller. I am running 400G, almost 1600W of light and currently four 250W heaters. With two fans in the display, my temp has not risen above 77.5. Just a thought as a chiller and operating costs will add up.
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by DLindquist DLindquist wrote:

While the pump for the skimmer may run a little warm, it should not be heating up your tank. If it is really contributing that much heat to the system- there may be something wrong with the pump. I would also venture to say you should be able to get by without a chiller. I am running 400G, almost 1600W of light and currently four 250W heaters. With two fans in the display, my temp has not risen above 77.5. Just a thought as a chiller and operating costs will add up.

Ok, thanks. I'll have to look into that, and what might be causing it to heat the water so much. I know the heater is not the issue here, since I didn't run it for almost a month to see if it was causing the rise in temperature, and the temperature was still high. I really don't want to have to get a chiller since they are so expensive, so thank you for pointing this out.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 8:18pm
Tank is looking great!! Just a fyi though you have the birdsnest and pocillopora mixed up.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2012 at 8:42pm
Haha. Thanks. I got them under those names, so thats probably why.

edit; fixed the labeling above

Edited by Ann_A - February 26 2012 at 8:45pm
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2012 at 5:59pm
Here's how I plumbed the UV sterilizer, for anyone who might be interested...

The picture doesn't really show it, but basically I used some 5/8" tubing to go from the return pump up to one of the attachments on the accessory kit. Then I ran 5/8" tubing down from the barbed fitting on the outlet, to the UV sterilizer, and then back up to the other barbed piece. I then used about 3" of 5/8" to go from the inner return fitting of the accessory kit to a reducer. I used the remaining 1/2" tubing that originally ran from the return pump to the nozzle attachment, to attach the nozzle to the reducer.

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 6:08pm
Just tested my water tonight, after doing a water change a few days ago...

Specific Gravity 1.025
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm
Phosphate 0ppm
Ph 7.9
Calcium 410ppm
dKH 14

I know the KH is high, and I'm working on that. Other than that, the tank is doing great and is progressing quite nicely. I have noticed a little cyano in a corner of the tank, and after readjusting the return nozzles it has since decreased, and flow looks to be very nice throughout the tank.

Edited by Ann_A - March 05 2012 at 9:50am
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2012 at 6:14pm
Also, I took apart the skimmer pump and found a small bit of debris wedged in the impeller compartment, which after removing seemed to be the cause of my earlier troubles. The skimmer is now running much quieter and my tank is running at much more optimal temperatures. During the day it is about 78-79F with the cooling fans running, and about 76-77F at night with the cooling fans still running. Thanks DLindquist for pointing that out!...probably just saved me a good $500+ on a chiller...which is now likely to be spent on corals or on another tank setup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
  Share Topic