Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Single 20 Watt LED chip

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single 20 Watt LED chip
    Posted: January 15 2012 at 7:56pm
I have a 75g hex tank that I'm thinking about setting up. It will not be easy to clean so I am hoping to focus the light straight down the middle, without a lot of light hitting the sides of the tank. I was thinking about using 10, 20, 30, 50, or 100 watt LEDs. These high watt LEDs claim to have a higher lumen per watt than many 3 watt. And more importantly, I think I can pack in more light closer to the center. How close I can put them together depends on the heat sink. I found a lot of people using 3 watt, but not too many using these high watt types. So I bought one to test.

I bought two different lenses to test but so far only one has been delivered. This lens claimed to be adjustable from 4-90 degrees. But it really only works well and uses all the light at 90 degrees.

And just to compare.

This is 36 watts (2x18) CF spiral bulbs. (f/2.8, exp. 1/30 sec., ISO-200)

This is the 20 watt LED without the lens. (f/2.8, exp. 1/30 sec., ISO-200)

It looks to me that one 20 watt LED produces more light than 36 watts of CF spiral. This 20 watt LED could work very well for this 10 gallon tank, but 10 watts might be better. I like this light, but really want a tighter focus if I'm going to setup the 75 gallon.

I'll wait until I get the other lens before I buy anything else, but I think I'll end up using 3 watt LEDs. Mainly, this is because the 3 watts have more lens choices. Also I'll be able to add different light spectrums. One thing that I don't like is too much blue. So I might try a few different whites, a couple blues, red, and UV.

Edited by MadReefer - January 17 2012 at 5:07pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 3:06pm

I received the other lens today. It is an oval 25*50 degree lens. The 25 degree looks good to me but it seems wider than 50 the other way. So I think I'll buy some 3 watt with lenses to play around with. I'm setting up a mangrove fuge in a 20 gallon long. I might put 18x3watts over it even though it will be in the window: 5x4500K, 5x6500K, 5xblue, and 3xred 660nm.

This 20 watt should make a good fuge light. I might give it to my dad to replace 75watts of CF over his fuge and see how that goes. Maybe add a few different colors in 3 watt for a more complete spectrum.
Jeffatpm View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffatpm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 5:30pm
How much and where did you get it?  I've thought of doing something like this for a fuge, I already did 3 watters for my main light.
What did you do to power it?
210 Reef with loads of LEDS
Large Fishey Room
Located Near Jordan Landing in West Jordan.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 11:17am
I bought everything from eBay.
I bought the wrong heat sink, but made it work anyway. It was 5.00.
I used an old power cord to plug it in.
And with an old fan I had already, it doesn't get hot at all. 93 F was the hottest point I could find with an IR thermometer. So the fan might not be needed.
My design needs improvement to say the least. I'm still just playing around and testing anyway, so I don't care what it looks like.

Edited by MadReefer - January 19 2012 at 11:20am
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2012 at 3:57pm
Edited with updated info

Just as a test I removed the fan. The chip and the driver heated up to 125 F. This is still much cooler than the temperature of a CF light bulb when running. I think the range of the driver is up to 170 F. So I think it could be run without the fan, and hopefully still in the summer. But I'm sure it has a chance to last longer with the active cooling. Both the driver and chip are staying at ~95ish F. This compares to a reading of 130 F on the back (outside the reflector) of the CF, and 215 F on the center side (from inside the reflector).

Edited by MadReefer - January 24 2012 at 8:44pm
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2012 at 8:22pm
Very cool.

Thanks for the info and details. I will be making the LED plunge eventually. Wonder if they sell bluer (10k ish) Looks good...

The birds nest frags are doing awesome btw.

Did the dwarf seahorses make it? I see clowns in there now.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 8:30am
Dwarf seahorses didn't make it through the first vacation I took.Cry The pipefish are still doing good. I also lost the clowns to a heater issue since I took these pictures. They were new and the water got a little cold and they both got sick with the stress and all. It has not been a good month for this tank. I'm not adding any more livestock to this tank.
Seems new stuff is coming all the time with these things. I've seen some that have a combination or colors on one LED

I might have used the word chip in the wrong way. I've heard others call the tiny piece that lights up on these the chips. So this 20w LED has 20 one watt chips.
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2012 at 8:55am
Sorry about the losses Jesse, that's never fun... Glad to hear the pipefish made it at least, those are cool.

It's an ever-changing market with LED's now a days isn't it? I love it and so will our tanks eventually, I am waiting a little bit for everything to come down and be fully tested, those 16k 10 watt ones are pretty cool - thanks for the links!

phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2012 at 6:41pm
have a pic with the setup over your tank?
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2012 at 7:10am
Right now it is on my mangroves. It's not pretty, but I might make it work on this ten gallon tank sometime in the near future, and try to make it look good in the process. I also might just use it for a light in my living room. So for the time being the picture above of it on the ten gallon is the best I'll have.

Info about Lumens/Watt. This led claims to be 75 lm/W. This is more than some 3 watt cree leds. But it is not as much as some MH, T5, or even CF. So it being better than cheaper options comes down to how long it will last. I found some 10w cree that claim 130 lm/W and this is more efficient than the best MH and T5. The theoretical limit for white led is 260-300 lm/W and I read that cree has already made an led over 200 lm/W. It will be really cool when we see more in the higher range and for less up front cost.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic