Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greenhouse aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
vidar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 2:11pm
Great Job Adam!!!  This would be a great way for me to combine my hobbies as well!! (Carnivorous Plants and Reef Tank)

I would love to come see your setup as well!  We have looked at greenhouses, but I just can't find one I really like and that will withstand our winters without costing me a ton!
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 9:09pm

Rob, do you have a carnivorous plant tank? If you do, you need to post some pics!!

Ive had a couple people wanting some pictures of the corals. I took these pictures at sunset so they are a little yellow.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 9:13pm

The polyps on the montiporas have really expanded in the last week. I took off the shade cloth so they are getting direct sun.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 10:44pm

Edited by BananaTropics
Reese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 8:34am
ah....Nice Fish Adam...I hope you had him neutered though....HeHe 
Jody L. Reese
Logan, Utah
75 gal. Reef Tank

Bora da (Good Morning)
Proudly Welsh
vidar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2005 at 8:44am

I do have a tank, but it's not very pretty!!  Most of my plants have just started coming out of dormancy, but I will be taking more pics and posting them on our website, I will let you know when.

Man I love your aquarium!!

Edited by vidar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 12:09am

Nick, heres some more pictures for you.  

Im really surprised how well the anemones do in this tank. Ive always been told how hard they are to keep but these things have done well since the beginning. I might even have to try another ritteri or carpet.

Here are some very nice zoanthids I got from Chris(slc).

dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 12:20am
Man I love that cardinal with the human eye!  Must've cost you a fortune to find such a rarity.

I'm very impressed Adam.  I have been following this thread closely and have to say that your planning is impeccable and your DIY skills rock!!!!  All of this and you're studying for the MCAT as well?  Susan just let me know about your plan and stuff.  I'm a general surgery resident at the U and did my time at Primary children last oct.  Our paths may have crossed and I don't even know about it.  Anyhow, I went to the U for med school so if you have any questions about the program just let me know.

Again, very impressed with the progress so far.
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 12:25am
Looking awesome Adam! As soon as I get my camera back i'll have to
take some pictures of your old tank for you

BTW take my name down for 1st frag of those zoos, those are awesome!!
I have some similar ones, we'll have to do some trading sometime...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 12:31am

Lol, yeah the MCAT is on April 16 !!! If you ever spent time in the PACU, im sure we saw each other.

Ya I have one question for you, how did you manage to get into the UofU med school?!? I may actually have a bunch more questions for you when the MCAT is over. The application process is completely foreign to me

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 12:36am
Richie, is the tank up and running yet? I hope everthing worked out . Post some pictures for sure. Id love to come by when you get it stocked and check it out.
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 12:49am
Originally posted by BananaTropics BananaTropics wrote:

Lol, yeah the MCAT is on April 16 !!! If you ever spent time in the PACU, im sure we saw each other.

Ya I have one question for you, how did you manage to get into the UofU med school?!? I may actually have a bunch more questions for you when the MCAT is over. The application process is completely foreign to me

Well, Score big on the MCAT for one!  And have good GPA.  Things might have changed comparing to the time when I applied in 1999; but the principles would still be the same I imagine.  A GPA of 3.7 and above AND a MCAT of thirty or more will usually get you the interview.  Then it's gonna be the letters of recommendation, your medicine-related experience, your essay, your research experience, your life experiencen and the interview itself that count.  Beslt of luck studying for the MCAT.  Just PM me when you wanna talk!
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 6:34pm

I took some more pictures at sunset. It definately gives the aquarium a color not seen in most reef tanks. The colors of the corals don't really come out but still very pretty.

I was having troubles with hair algae, but 5 mexican turbo snails are clearing that up pretty quick.

I also added about 30ml of micro algae grow to the tank to help with my low nutrient problem. I was also thinking about adding 20-30 chromis to help with this as well. No matter what I do, the nitrates just wont stay that far above zero.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 6:44pm

Here are a couple of pictures of a zoathid colony under two types of light to show how natural sun effects coral color.

This first picture is taken under a 28watt PC 50/50 bulb which is about 2 feet from the colony.

This second picture shows the same colony in natural sunlight at around 5PM (it is slightly more yellow at this time of day)

I got a bunch of zoanthid frags from Chrisslc and they all seem to love the full sun. Thanks Chris!

Edited by BananaTropics
nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 6:47pm

Oh That's so sweet  Adam, spending romantic sunsets in your greenhouse with your tank.Cool pics though.

Xacttech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xacttech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2005 at 9:08pm
It's looking really good...

Anyway, yeah the tank has been running for a week now, and I've just
built a new sump that I planned to install tomorrow, but I'm going to
catalina, so it'll have to wait for next week. New sump is twice as big with
built in refugium, so I'll be in need of some macro ;)

Anyway, I'll post pics when I get back.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2005 at 3:57pm

Well, I just got my first gas bill since setting up the tank. All I will say is that i'll have a cold water tank by this fall. I guess it'll give me an excuse to take a roadtrip to Washington and do some collecting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2005 at 11:23pm

I added three species of seagrasses (turtle, shoal and manatee). I talked Kris at Fish4U into ordering some. He has all three species, but not sure if he'll be selling any. The turtle grass is in the back and the manatee is in the front.

Here are some in a small indoor tank. It has a lot better lighting for taking pictures. This tank is lit by one 65 watt LOA floodlight (6500k). Im really impressed with it. It is a bit yellow but very bright for 65 watts

And a gulf pipefish

Edited by BananaTropics
nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2005 at 4:24pm

Hey Adam, Just saw the gulf fish this morning at Chris's, that is one cool looking fish.Men you getting my 180g tank pretty filled up.

The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon You.

Hook'em Horns.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2005 at 3:12am
That is so cool. It's really looking so much better than when I saw it last month. I love the aquascaping with the trench. It all looks wonderful. Can't wait to see it again soon.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic