Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greenhouse aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 7:28pm

A big thanks to Kellie (kethomps). I just picked up the aquarium from her and its perfect. She also has an AMAZING 125 gallon reef with some beautiful tangs. I don't even remember their names. I think one was an "orange shoulder" or something like that. Thanks Kellie.

Another big thanks to Eric at Marine Aquatics. He drilled my tank for a great price. For anyone that hasn't seen his store, it is incredible. I have never seen tanks kept up so well. You can really tell that he cares about his livestock. Everything was clean and healthy. If you haven't been to his beautiful store, you're missing out...seriously.

Edited by BananaTropics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 9:17pm

Chris came over again and we finished the stand and moved the tank in.

kethomps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kethomps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 10:12pm

Your welcome.  Glad the tank is going to work out for you.  Glad we got it off the stand!!!  Thanks to you as well.

210g sw fish
West Jordan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 6:00pm

Nothing smells better than wet cedar chips and freshly made salt water. mmmm... 

Heres the drain/overflow Eric helped me with...

And the sump

Edited by BananaTropics
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2005 at 8:09pm
I'm already trying to figure out who is going to watch my tank while I come to your house for the reef tour this year. This project looks awesome! I'm glad to see someone doing something unique with the hobby. Keep it up and good luck.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 1:17pm

Thanks Shane

I added some sand which made the water cloudy, but everything is doing great. I added two yellow-tail damsels, a cardinal, and a bunch of coral and live rock.

The murkiness gives it an eerie look with the sun shining through it...kind of cool

Here is my lighting setup...

Here are some of the corals in the tank. There is a frogspawn and a montipora digitata in this picture. The montipora has fully expanded its polyps and the frogspawn is about halfway there. Sorry for the bad picture. It is actually a ton brighter than the picture leads you to believe.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2005 at 9:15pm
Originally posted by BananaTropics BananaTropics wrote:

Here is my lighting setup...
I know that setup, I have one of those too.

Looks awesome.
I like how you've done your overflow.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Reese View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 3:25am

Hi Adam,

Your setup looks quite interesting and if you make it to the meeting I would like to talk to you more about it, especially the greenhouse itself. If you make it to the meeting could you bring some mangroves that I could purchase from you? 

Jody L. Reese
Logan, Utah
75 gal. Reef Tank

Bora da (Good Morning)
Proudly Welsh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 9:27am

Thanks Mark. I like to say that I have a 390,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 watt bulb.

LSun = 4pi.gif 297 bytes d2f = 4pi.gif 297 bytes (1.50x1011 m)2 1370 w/m2

= 3.9x1026 watts

But then again, i do keep it about 149,597,870.691 kilometers above the water surface.

Jody, i'll try to be at the meeting tonight.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2005 at 11:49am

Jody, feel free to drop by on your way to the meeting to see my Mangroves. Call before or on your way at the number below.

Take the Centerville Exit and go east to 400 W.(the road that goes behind Target and HD.) Then drive about a mile south until you see the aquarium in the window of the 4-plex house on the right/west side of the street just three places before the first traffic signal.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2005 at 10:55am

Many of the corals will not expand their polyps like this montipora. I have added a shade cloth to help acclimate them better to the new, brighter light.

Edited by BananaTropics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 11:36am

I am the biggest idiot ever!!! I really cannot believe my stupidity on this one. Since ive put the corals in, many haven't seemed to be doing well. They are alive but no polyp extension. The water was good, or so I thought. I had forgot to test perhaps the most important thing...the salinity. I had just added the recommended amount of instant ocean amount like i do with all my water changes. Don't ask me why i didn't test it before putting the fish and corals in, thats where my stupidity comes in. So I tested it last night with a refractometer and the reading was.... 1.032!!!  I really dont understand how that could be!! With a little investigation I determined my system probably doesn't hold 280 gallons as I thought but maybe about 250 gallons.

I guess the good thing is that 90% of the corals are still alive but just not too happy. The thing that has got me wondering is how well a lot of the stuff is doing. The BTA is looking great has has been fully expanded since it was put in the water. The fish look and act normal. And the algae has never grown better. I had a softball size piece of chaeto and it has grown into enough to fill a 10 gallon tank.

The salinity is now at 1.025 and the polyps on most of the corals are starting to extend. I think the only losses will be a couple small acro frags and some montipora digitata. Everything else looks good. I got off lucky this time i guess.

Edited by BananaTropics
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 12:16pm

Apparently you have been doing this a while.  A novice would never have made that mistake.  They would have tested the water 20 times by now.

I'm glad you didn't loose much.  My mother lost quite a few fish in her nano before we discovered the Hydrometer she was using wasn't reading correctly.  But she also found that most of the corals seemed to do extremely well in Hypo-salinity. (Did I use the right word. I can never remember hyper and hypo. Anyway with the salinity too high.)

I've been following this tread since the beginning and would love to come see your setup after tax season is over.  Sounds like a fun project.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2005 at 5:33pm

I agree will. I think the best part is I invested in a refractometer and haven't used it too much since i bought it. It sure is nice to get an accurate reading though. I am planning on using it more frequently now .

Here are some new pictures for anyone still following this thread

The chaeto is growing like mad!! You know its growing well when its covered in oxygen bubbles

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 7:24pm

Thanks to Mark, I was able to get enough sand to do a 6-7" DSB. Thanks Mark

Still a little cloudy but that Utah sand sure looks nice.

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 7:42pm

wow .. I have been quietly following your thread! fantastic job! i cant say how cool this is. i'm incredibly impressed! congrats on a fantastic job!  you will be on the reef tour this year right? i'm there!

what is the current state of the refugium and/or sump? pics? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 7:53pm

Thanks Corey

The refugium isn't setup yet, but the plan is to have 200+ mangroves with a DSB and maybe a couple fish or inverts (but i guess it wouldn't be a refugium then, huh?)

Here are some pics of the sump. Most of my SPS are at the bottom patiently waiting. Theres also a bunch of rock rubble and some chaetomorpha. I recently added some eggcrate so I could use it for frags or whatever.

Also in the picture is a ficus tree that loves to drop leaves into the water.  Luckily the leaves float and they are easy to pick out.

Reef Tour? Well maybe. I guess I better get those seagrasses going so I have something to show. But anyone is welcome to come over anytime. You just need to bring me macroalgae frags  Ok, only if you want

Edited by BananaTropics
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 9:00pm
That sand bed seems deep to me. more than 6". Whats with the low spot? Looks kinda cool though....
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2005 at 9:09pm

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing and had to go measure it again. The deepest it gets is 7" but the average is about 6.5" I did it that deep since im told that is what seagrasses need.

The low spot? Thats was my attempt to be creative in my aquascaping. Its a little cave.

Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2005 at 1:45pm

So how do I get some of your Giant Feather Caulerpa? Where are you located?

Originally posted by FISHMAN Dan FISHMAN Dan wrote:

Hi, I cultivate hard to find marine macro algea, sea grasses ect.

prices range from $1-$10 depending on rarity ect

let me know if your interested

Richard
Alpine, UT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic