Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greenhouse aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2005 at 11:30pm

the one in the first link is the more common of the two. All land crabs are brackish. They all live by the sea. My pic in particular is an asian land crab. there are thyland crabs and chris just had some HUGE red land crabs. May still be there. Very heardy scavengers. But not all that fish friendly.

If you built a pond, as a sump, you could cordon off one area with a gate of sorts and have a return pump be installed there back to the main tank. Have the main tank flow into the pond as the overflow. Easy. Just like every other system here, but a pont as a sump tank......

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2005 at 2:21am

As long as the pond/refugium is higher then the sump you should be able to have it stay at a constant level. Just like the huge multi level systems at bird world and the aquarium. Water could flow from main tank - pond/refugium - sump this would require only one pump. You could also have it setup with the main tank to sump, and pond/refugium to sump but this would require two pumps. You would have to that the pond/refugium be higher then the sump in order to have the pond stay full.

You could also do something like Skyetone said and just use the pond as the sump. I know that my sump has a refugium in it that always stays full. Its only my pump side of the sump that water lowers in. I'm sure its that same way with 90% of the peoples sumps on this board.

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2005 at 9:49am
I have a 50 gallon rubbermaid container (50"x30"x12"tall) that im using for a mangrove refugium. I think I'll just use that for some crabs. I can still have a sloped bank and a little island with mangrove "palm trees". I think that will have to do for now.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 12:50pm
[P

Edited by Adam Haycock - February 15 2008 at 11:06pm
joliverson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joliverson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 2:27pm

I find what you are doing fasinating.  If you ever need any help, give me a call.

Jody Oliverson

FISHMAN Dan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FISHMAN Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 5:32pm

Make the sump your pond!  (you wont need a skimmer with heavy algea growth --- if that growth is maintained and pieces that go sexual are removed)

currently my 20 gal fuge is the sole filter of my 125 (the skimmer has been curing LR for several weeks)

and my nitrates are still zero

I think a saltwater pond could be made really cool using regular pvc pond liner and agrocrete rocks for the sides with some additional sead rock.... think of the mangroves you could grow!!!

This pond would serve as your sump, your fuge, your frag growout area ect ect.

125 reef, grower of hard to find macro algea,(feather giant feather, branching coraline ect...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FISHMAN Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 5:34pm

Hey i would really like to come check this setup out.... maybe Ill bring some macro ...hint ..hint

Dan

125 reef, grower of hard to find macro algea,(feather giant feather, branching coraline ect...
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 5:42pm
What about instead of a pond, you had a tide pool? There is a great design in my new book.....I'm thinking adding it to my seahorse tank.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 6:42pm

What about instead of a pond, you had a tide pool?

I really like this idea Suzy. So what characteristics would make it a tide pool?

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 6:45pm

Oooh Oooh Oooh, if you want a tide pool talk to me.  I once had to design an alternating tide pool system for a public aquarium.  Basically take two tanks (like lets say two 55 gals) and have them alternate every 7 hours of one at high tide and one at low tide.  This can be done with tanks side by side, or one above another.  I think side by side is easier.

If you buy the equipment, I'll come over and make it for/with you.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 7:05pm
Adam, how about we talk about it while we're building my surge tank
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 7:09pm

You bet.  March 10th is my next free out of the lab day.  So after that day we should be good.  I'll give you some plans and you can decide if you think it is worth doing.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 8:10pm

Dan, thats a good point on the skimmer. The whole 180 will be planted with sea grasses and macroalgaes, plus i'll have the 50 gallon mangrove tank. I bet i'll be adding nutrients. Im going to use a DSB of utah sand so i'll probably need to use some fertilizer spikes or something to get it going.  Im already preparing for the algae bloom that will follow 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FISHMAN Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 8:26pm

Instead of fertilizer (scary) how about a hefty fish load???

Ive found that my macro stops growing or grows very slowly when I am stingy with the feeding and fish load.

As a macro connoisseur this is somewhat unacceptable. I think macro algae is underrated in its nutrient removing capability's, and i think most refugiums are not properly lit or designed to accommodate aggressive growth.

I just removed 2-3 pounds of macro today (its at fish for you now) and I attribute this to my skimmer being on another tank. I was able to buy some nice stuff from FISH FOR YOU with the credit. My normal harvest would be less then half of this.

One point I wanted you to realize with your algae intensive setup is: Algae must be harvested regularly ( which can mean profits) and Algae must be fed (higher then normal bio-load)

IMO the nutrient removal of macro algae is simply amazing... when well lit and free from predation....

nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 9:00pm

Hey Dan, if you don't mind me asking, how much store credit did you get for your macros.I have tons of chaetos I have to harvest, tryed to give them away free but no body wants them so I can as well just get some thing out of this fast growing thing.

The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon You.

Hook'em Horns.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 9:03pm

Edited by Adam Haycock - February 15 2008 at 11:07pm

nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 9:31pm
Hey that's just what I'm going to do. Holy  I was not suppose to post any thing to night don't want any body to find out I'm sitting in front of a computer on a Friday night talking about  fish.
The Eyes Of Texas Are Upon You.

Hook'em Horns.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FISHMAN Dan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2005 at 11:13pm

Dude its ok. Once you find a decent chick theres no need to go out on a fri night waste money and do something stupid... Id rather get my backscratched while watching my tank anyday...

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 12:48pm

I just had another idea....

settling ....  You dug out a hole. filled it with concrete, then plan to put between 800-1000lbs on top of it. Did you compact the dirt at all before the concrete? Look at most wooden fences. Not square... No big deal, but with a fish tank that could get ugly....

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2005 at 12:57pm

Chris knows what he's doing and im not expecting any problems. The stand is solidly built and could probably hold twice the weight it needs to (1500-2000lbs)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic