Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Controlling Water Temperature

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tyrosinase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyrosinase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Controlling Water Temperature
    Posted: February 10 2005 at 12:41pm

Hello everyone,

Currently, I have a 20 gallon freshwater aquarium.  I have had this aquarium for a while and now feel ready to take the dive into the saltwater world.  However, there is one thing that has been concerning me.  This last summer I noticed that the thermometer in my freshwater aquarium was reading temperatures higher than 90 degrees fahrenheit!  The fish weren't very happy, but they survived.  (By the way, this last summer was my first at the place I am living in now.)  I am concerned that if I get a saltwater aquarium it will not be as forgiving as the freshwater setup I currently have.  I don't want to, essentially, put the fish I purchase on death row.  By the way, I am looking to set up  a 50 gallon saltwater aquarium.

I happen to stumble upon your website a few days ago and decided to ask you all for advise on how to control the water temperature in an aquarium. 

Thanks.

Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 12:58pm

Welcome!!!

How did your tank get so hot last summer?  It may have been a malfunctioning heater, your filtration system can heat up a tank, or light from a window, etc. or a combination of things.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyrosinase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 1:05pm

I don't have my aquarium near a window and the heater didn't appear to be on.  The light on the heater controller was not on and the heater did not feel warm to the touch.  So, I am not sure how the aquarium got so hot.

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 1:09pm

Ghetto nailed it. Talk about the setup and placement a bit first. High 70's and lower 80's is what is considered by many as optimal for a general sw system. Are you using your oven as a tank stand? What did you have your thermostat set at? Are you sure that the thermometer was accurate? Did you have a heater in the tank? There's something going on there.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 1:14pm

Tyrosinase,

Just FYI, most people here don't use anything to cool their water.  A lot of people here don't even use heaters for that matter.  With the heat from filtration and lighting, most aquariums are at an acceptable temperature.  That's why it seems odd that it would be so hot.  Could it be the thermometer?

In any case - where do you live?  When you set up a tank, you will find plenty of help here not only with questions, but people are glad to come help you (myself included).

Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyrosinase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 1:49pm

lol... I should have known it was the oven I was using as a stand.  Why didn't I think of that before?

The oven is actually not very close to the tank.

I did have a heater in the tank, and I had it set to 78 degrees.  As for the thermometer, I will test it later on today.  Last night the thermometer was giving a reading of approximately 80 degrees.  So, if I were to take a guess, I would say that it is working fine.  Regardless, I will test it later on tonight.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 3:51pm

Yeah I'm not sure what is going on, but something is going on.  (yes Carl you can quote me on that)
90 is way high.  Most saltwater tanks also have increased heat from lights, so this would a big concern to me.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic