Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Foundation for outdoor aquarium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foundation for outdoor aquarium
    Posted: February 09 2005 at 6:00pm

I need to build a stand for a 180 gallon glass aquarium. It will be placed on soft soil so I need to make sure I have a good foundation. I have no experience in this area so im looking for some advice.

I have considered several options including cinder blocks and laying a cement slab. But now im cosidering using the method used for decks.

Here is what I would do...

So I would have four of these posts and build the stand on top of them.

Will this be enough support for all the weight? Any other ideas?

Edited by BananaTropics
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 6:44pm

Adam,

You could:

Using some 12" diameter "sonotube", dig four holes and place your new concrete "piers" down 30" below grade for frost depth.  You could cast Simpson column bases in the concrete for 4x4 treated supports (I'm sure Home Repo carries them) and reinforce the concrete piers with 4" square metal fence grid, lapped together a good half circle.  Using post concrete mix, you could have a very sturdy platform! 

Unless you're talking about mud that you sink a foot in when you try to walk in it, soils shouldn't be a problem for that much weight, as long as you have something solid under it.  Your vehicle more than likely would put more pressure on the soil than a 180 gallon tank would on four supports.  It's all about spreading the load out.

I'm still baffled as to why you want a tank outside (no offense!).

The approach you already have will probably work as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 7:09pm

Ok i'll explain.

The tank is going inside of a greenhouse. I guess that may change some things since the soil will never freeze. When I built the greenhouse I dug down a foot and a half so I could get more head room and not have to worry about really cold soil. At that depth the soil was very hard and clay-like, so I dug another foot or two and filled it up with top soil. So im thinking I just need to dig out the topsoil and i'll be at that hard clay soil again. Knowing that...will that change any of your advice? Thanks BTW

Edited by BananaTropics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 7:39pm

Corey is this what you mean.  Im not sure I understand how to use the square metal fence grid.

chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 7:50pm

skip the mesh, just stick a wire tomato support in each one

Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 8:02pm

Adam,

Yes, that's more or less what I meant.

The square metal fencing is reinforcement for your pier/footing to help prevent it from cracking.  That's it!  You just make a hoop out of it, lift it up when you get concrete in the tube, and keep it 2" away from any side- so it's a tight hoop extending from the top to the bottom but "floating" in the concrete.  You aren't talking about loads that would really require real building code-required reinforcement.  You bring me somebody that would argue that to the contrary and still be reasonable, and I'll be surprised!

The sonotobe is just a form- you don't need it if you're trying to do this cheap and you keep the soils from spilling back in the hole.

If you're not worried about it ever freezing, the previous approach may be less expensive and easier if you don't want this to be hard to remove.  After thinking about it, if it did freeze, frost heave is probably not as big a deal as a cracked tank!  So 30" may be extreme overkill- just dig to the hard clays.  One other thing the concrete sonotube pier does is prevent rot of the wood since you can get it above the soil 6" or so.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 8:06pm

Chrisslc-  I agree-

Wire tomato plant supports would be fine as well...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 8:17pm
Awesome! Thanks. Can I buy all of this at Home Depot? How much are the sonotubes?
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 2:36pm

Sonotube is pretty cheap, if your the least worried about sinkage, dig a square section at the bottom of the tube with the bottom of the tomato cage bent into it like so, then just lift the tube as you pour to fill bottom. (this requires good thick concrete, but that will give you better strength / water resistance anyway)

But Corwando's right, I can't argue that this is neccessary or even reasonable, but it'd be solid.

BTW, and I'm sure you've thought of this, build your frame with the 4x4's first and support it in the holes how you want it before casting. otherwise you'll never get the bases to stay square and level during casting. Oh and rod the concrete as you go in levels to ensure "consolidation".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 3:49pm

Thanks. You guys are great!! 

Since two pillars will only be 12" apart, could I just dig one large hole for two tubes and fill them at the same time? Also, since it will not freeze, could I do a 20" deep hole?

So I build the stand (with the column bases attached ) and somehow support it EXACTLY where it will be over the holes. Then fill the tubes with cement.  Adjust the stand if needed to make sure its level and let the cement dry around the column bases. Is this right?

chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 4:16pm

Yes, sure, and yes. When you get ready to do this call me at 891-2260, I'd be happy to come over and go through the best way to support the frame during casting, It's pretty simple and will make the end stand very level and straight.  

I'm considering setting up and outdoor arrangement myself and would love to see how you're going about it.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 4:19pm

When you get ready to do this call me

That is exactly what I was thinking.  I was thinking "Hey Adam, just tell Chris you'll give him a couple frags if he does this for you". 
I'm sure someday I'll be building one of these in my backyard and that has always been my plan.

Adam

Edited by Adam Blundell
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 4:34pm

Wow, that would be a huge help Chris! I have a ton of mangroves and frags you could choose from. I'll probably be picking up the tank in a week or two and want to have the stand up by then. Maybe you could give me a shopping list so I can have everthing ready to go. I'll dig some holes this weekend too. Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 6:56pm

Chrislc-

You're right- the sketch would give you more footing, and it's not too hard to build.

Adam-

Post-hole concrete (the pre-mixed stuff) is not high-strength concrete at all, but it should do fine for this.   Sounds like a sweet deal for Chris to come help, though, if you've never done this before.

Just don't build some pole-shed using these piers, ok?

Happy to help!  

chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 9:52pm

Originally posted by BananaTropics BananaTropics wrote:

Wow, that would be a huge help Chris! I have a ton of mangroves and frags you could choose from. I'll probably be picking up the tank in a week or two and want to have the stand up by then. Maybe you could give me a shopping list so I can have everthing ready to go. I'll dig some holes this weekend too. Thanks!

I was just thinking I’d love to trade you my labor for some mangroves for my new DSB/plenum refugium, P.M. me the dimensions of the tank and height and I’ll E-mail you a take-off list for Home Depot.

Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

That is exactly what I was thinking.  I was thinking "Hey Adam, just tell Chris you'll give him a couple frags if he does this for you".

I'm sure someday I'll be building one of these in my backyard and that has always been my plan.

Adam

I think we need you to come over so we can all discuss the new concepts involved in “Outdoor Aquaculture”. (also we’ll need someone to tend the hod)

Originally posted by Corwando Corwando wrote:

Post-hole concrete (the pre-mixed stuff) is not high-strength concrete at all, but it should do fine for this. 

True-enuf, but I happen to know some tricks for high strength concrete anyway

Edited by chrisslc
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 7:18pm

one thing I was thinking about... Sorry for the late chime in.....

We built a 18'x18'x8'vaulted greenhouse. We used treated railroad ties as the base and anchored them all together with BIG lags. I have seen pine break at the bace of the concrete with a load shift.

What is the point in a 180g 1500lb ish aquarium outside in a greenhouse? Why not go with a pond? Trust me I have a 225 catfish tank.... I have thought about it....

oh... and fibercrete is awsome....

Edited by Skyetone
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by Skyetone Skyetone wrote:

oh... and fibercrete is awsome....

You lika tha GFRC huh... . . (said like rob schneider)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 10:04pm

What is the point in a 180g 1500lb ish aquarium outside in a greenhouse? Why not go with a pond?

Its hard to enjoy a salt water tank when you can only look at it from above water, dont you think? I guess I could always get my mask and snorkel out.

The whole system will be 500+ gallons. The 180 is just the display portion of the setup.  The rest of the water will be in several large 100+ gallon rubbermaid stock tanks.

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2005 at 12:44pm

so then the other Q is why in a greenhouse? Sounds easy to heat in the summer, but the evap will kill ya. And how big is the greenhouse? Are you really gonna sit and stare at the tank in the tropical jungle of a greenhouse? My mom has a green arm(not thumb) and gets tomato plants to grow to be 6-8 feet high most summers. So i know it gets humid.....

Why not build a new room to the side of the house and have it in there?

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2005 at 1:19pm
why not INDEED! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic