Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Motion in my Ocean!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motion in my Ocean!
    Posted: February 01 2005 at 11:27am
Next project!

I think I need to kick up the water movement in my reef. Now, I
have a return pump on one side of my reef, that keeps the
water moving OK, but not anywhere near ULTIMATE!

I was hoping you guys could help me think of something that
can increase the flow. What do you use?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 12:24pm
You have the space and energy and if you really truly want the ultimate, why not do a surge device! They are the very ultimate for giving the tank the look and movement of the ocean.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 1:04pm
That's kinda what i was thinking! A surge dodad or a dump
bucket! I do have room at the top!

Do you know how to make one?
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 1:44pm

This devise looks interesting as a possible answer to your current issue.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_wavemakers_wave2k.asp?Ca rtId=

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 5:11pm
Unfortunately that device has to fit IN the tank. I've seen one and it's a monstrosity.

Adam and I have made surge devices and they are wonderful but ugly. Adam made dump buckets too and at least two other members have had them. I prefer the surge device over the dump bucket.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2005 at 7:27pm
Would the dump bucket idea work in my tank? I could easily
move the lights.......
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I prefer the surge device over the dump bucket.

Why is that Mark?

I'm glad you asked.
The practicle and reasonable sized buckets hold such a small amount of water that they hardly do anything for circulation. Buckets big enough to do some good would be extremely noisy.

On the other hand, a surge device can be made out of any size container even a 55 gal drum, like the one that MSM had running the last time I was there.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 10:33am
If you're not opposed to using powerheads, take a look at reptoreef or Corey K for their wavemaking device. Cheap and effective.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 10:56am
JFinch showed me how to cut the nozzle off of a Maxijet and put it on a timer to turn it off and back on so it shoots water in two alternating directions about 90 degrees apart. It's cool. It's the "poorman's wavemaker" that works like a charm.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 2:39pm

I could put a few power heads behind a rock structure, hidden but accessible....

Mark, the dump bucket would be behind the wall. I was thinking something the size of a quart paint bucket, along with the flow I have now. If it's too much, it would splash out the other side, right? But, what if was custom made out of acrylic, maybe as long as the side of the tank?

The surge device has to be inside the tank?

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 3:41pm
One of the reasons the dump buckets I saw didn't work was because there just wasn't enough water moving long enough in one direction to cause any change in circulation. The water dumped needs to be a large enough volume or be running long enough to change the flow in the entire aquarium. Surge devices can do this. but dump buckets of sufficient size are way too large/cumbersome.

You spoke of moving some lights to accommadate dump buckets. A SD would probably not require the move of any of your existing equipment, but would only require a shelf above/behind the tank. I'm curious if you know what a surge device is/looks like and how it works?
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 3:47pm

No! Can you explain it in blonde language?

I am thinking of one I saw on top of a tank many years ago, but it's been so long, I can't remember the details!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2005 at 4:00pm
No problem and I'll look for a drawing on the www in a little bit too.

Continuously pump water, from a powerhead or a branch from the main pump, up into a container that is above the tank. When the water level in the container gets high enough, it starts to siphon out of a "U" tube and rushes down a pipe and into the tank. When the container is empty and the siphon breaks the pump is still running so it starts over again.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 1:12pm
Mark, you gotta help me design this! i searched RC and it is
soooo over my head!

Unless, Jons poorman wave maker would do just as good?

I was also wondering if I just added another pump, put it on a
timer, on the other side, if that would be just as good? I would
have flow from both sides, meet in the middle causing some
swirl action in the cave.

Would the pump wear out very fast?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 2:59pm
Another pump, without a timer. on the other side of the tank is what most people would do. It's the simplest way to go.
Adam is offering to build a surge device for you. I'd take him up on that.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Adam is offering to build a surge device for you. I'd take him up
on that.

Yahoo!!!! When? Where? How do I get you the moola? Do you
take debit?

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2005 at 10:00pm
I am so HAPPY with my new SD! Thanks, Adam!

I will see if I can get some details for you guys in the morning,
but now I'm going to go watch the waves!
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 2:55pm

Hey Suzy - can you post pics of your new surge device?

Thought I would post a pic of the motion in my new ocean -

Think it will be too much?

Riley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 4:37pm
That is sweet shane are you running two seperate pumps for the 4 motion and the sea swirls.   The flow looks like its going to be awsome.  Id love to come by and take alook at your setup somtime.  Riley

Edited by Riley
Riley     Herriman
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 7:49pm

Same pump - amp master 3000. I still need to dial it back - it is just too much flow for the overflows... they cant keep up.

You are more than welcome to stop by anytime, but it is the new tank and hasnt established much at all yet. Werent you setting up a new tank also?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic