Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help polishing acrylic

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ttls1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttls1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help polishing acrylic
    Posted: September 24 2011 at 5:00pm
I have now spent 10 hours sanding and polishing and i feel like i have got nowhere.  I have sanded down to 1000 grit wet sanding then tried the novus 3 then 2 and i still cant get this acrylic clear.  Any suggestions on better compounds or techniques would be much appreciated.
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 5:24pm
Cut it with 2000 grit paper.
What kinda compound are you using?
What kinda of machine are you polishing with?
What kinda of Pad are you polishing with?
You can call or pm me if need more help.
801-850-4915.

Edited by builderofdreams - September 24 2011 at 5:25pm
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
ttls1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttls1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 5:31pm
Novus 2 and 3
Orbital Buffer
Microfiber
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 5:52pm
If this is like buffing a scratch on a car I might be able to help
It's not about what you know but about who you know
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 5:58pm
Sorry not familiar with Novus 2 and 3.
U stated the u sanded up to 1000.What did you start with?
Regardless what compound, make sure you are not running the buffer at warp speed.
Slower is better.The red pad polishes very well and is very aggressive.If for some reason you can not get it with the microfiber you can always use Wool.But you will have to contend with the wool Spider webs.Hope this helps.

It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
ttls1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttls1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

Sorry not familiar with Novus 2 and 3.
U stated the u sanded up to 1000.What did you start with?
Regardless what compound, make sure you are not running the buffer at warp speed.
Slower is better.The red pad polishes very well and is very aggressive.If for some reason you can not get it with the microfiber you can always use Wool.But you will have to contend with the wool Spider webs.Hope this helps.

I had to start with 220 wet as there were a lot of pretty deep scratches. Then went up 400, 600, 800 1000. Does anyone know of a good aggressive compound to use after this i dont want to sand anymore.
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 10:21am
1000 is not fine enough, I usually go to 3000. I also don't use the Novus brand polish. I use automotive grade polishes. You can try going to an automotive paint supply store and getting some 3M polishing compound, its not cheap but it works very well. Also the pad you use is just as important as the compound. I personally use the white 3M foam pad on my buffer or as mentioned earlier you can use a wool pad, both have more of an aggressive cut to them.

Edited by tcfab - September 25 2011 at 10:22am
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 10:53am
+1 for 2-3000 grit. I wouldn't use an orbital either. Do it by hand or you run a risk of melting the surface. Also check progress by splashing water on spots you think are done.
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 11:05am
tcfab knows acylic. It's his business.Smile
3-4000 or finer Micro Mesh is what I use to get the final polish on the inside, in fact I use it for everyday algae removal.

Underwater, I use the plain sheets wrapped over a strong algae scraper magnet with a fiber base sheet. I use the Tiger Shark or similar, depending on the acrylic thickness. With water in the tank it looks good, without water it still looks fuzzy to me.

What size of tank is this?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ttls1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttls1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 7:19pm
Ok so i need to go to at least 2000 grit how many more steps between 1000 and 2000 do i need? Which compound do you buy tyler there is a lot to choose from?
Its an 8 foot 300 gallon tank.
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2011 at 10:42pm
I would go 1000,1500 then 2000. When you get to those finer grits you really need to sand quite a bit, I personally use a DA (dual action) pneumatic sander it makes life easierWink I use 3M #06085 in the Perfect-it II line for polish. Hope that helps
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic