Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Acro
    Posted: September 23 2011 at 9:58pm
I recently posted a question in the general help section about an acro that was not regaining it's color.  I was originally told by the supplier that it should regain it's color relatively quickly.  Well, when that didn't happen, of course I start thinking that I may not to doing something right.   Most responses from the board mentioned that sometimes it can take quite a while to regain the color.  Well, it is starting to regain the color now, but the polyps are still the browned out color.  Are they going to change to the color of the coral?  If the picture of the coral that I bought was the actual picture of my coral.  It was a brilliant blue green polyps included.
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2011 at 11:05pm
The polyps can change color unless they are the original color
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 11:38am
It can take up to 6 months or more for color to stabilize in a coral moved to a new tank.
The change in lighting, both in color and in intensity, is a big factor here, along with other conditions in the new aquarium. Many times the color will never be the same in the new tank, yet I've sold coral that I heard later ended up looking even better in their new home than they did in my frag farm!
Each coral colony is an individual entity, perhaps with slightly different genetics than a coral colony of the same name and ID, so it's difficult to predict how each will do in it's new environment.

Also, remember that most of coral coloration is due to the zooxanthellae algae living within it. That algae will morph and may even be replaced by other zooxanthellae during times like a move or other stressful event like getting too hot. At different times, I've seen coral expel it's zooxanthellae and later acquire zooxanthellae from it's environment that came from other coral in the aquarium system. Color changing coral. LOL  

Hope this makes sense.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 2:45pm
What Mark said is true, when I switched to leds all my corals faded pretty bad, now about 5 to 6 months later im starting to see color again!
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 2:50pm
It should regain its color in about 6 months or so if it was the exact picture of your coral. I dont know if this was covered already but what lights are you running? You may need to change bulb color to get it to pop like it did in the pic when you bought it. I may even email them to ask what light ing they were using and try to copy them if you really want the color back. Bit of a hastle but most likely they were using 20Ks to actinics to get the awesome colors.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 3:15pm
I am running t5's, but currently looking to changing to LED's
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2011 at 3:20pm
What bulbs are you running on your T5s? I think I get pretty good color out of my corals with 6 actinics and 2 10Ks over my tank. Changing your bulbs may help depending on what you have.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2011 at 12:00am
Rick, how is the overall condition of the colony? I know you say the polyps are still brown but how about the rest of the colony? Kind enough to share a pic of it's progress?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic