Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

API test kits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: API test kits
    Posted: September 21 2011 at 2:37pm
Is the only API alkalinity test the freshwater one, or is there a saltwater one? Will the freshwater one work for salt water?

Where have you found is the best place to purchase these (best price)?
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 2:46pm
I have the complete kit I will sell you for 20.00.  Hardly used.  I believe it is a different test for fresh water.  Mine is the master salt water kit.
jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 2:47pm
What does the kit include? How old is it?
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 2:48pm
Correction,  I have the reef kit.  It sales for 34.99 at petsmart.  Yours for $20.00. 
jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 2:51pm
I really only want ca/alk test kits. How many tests do the kits do, then I can compare to buying ca/alk separately.

How old is the kit?
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 3:11pm
You can get the seperately, Salifert is a good one, but 1 kit is going to cost almost as much as the 20 I will charge.  It is less than a year old hardly used.  

Measures the most important reef aquarium levels. Tests calcium, carbonate hardness, phosphate and nitrate levels quickly and accurately. Includes test bottles, instructions, four glass test tubes, color chart and calcium, carbonate hardness, phosphate and nitrate solutions.

jordanh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 3:16pm
Ok, let me shop around a bit...
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 3:34pm
API alkalinity comes in a FW and a SW version

The kit Rick (Phinfan) is talking about is called the "ReefMaster" kit.

I have one myself and I like it.

It is 4 test kits in one package: Alk, Ca, nO3 and pO4.

It is not quite as accurate as a Salifert test kit, but like Rick said a Salifert test for just 1 of those 4 is going to cost more than the entire ReefMaster kit.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
russianrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 3:49pm
I know that I have seen most KH tests selling by themselves for about $20.  I payed $30+ for my reef master API kit and it works great.  Generally each bottle is rated for hundreds of tests.  The problem with guessing how many tests you have for KH is that it depends on how high your KH is.  If your KH is 1 degree higher than someone elses, then you would have 10 percent fewer tests with the same volume of test chemicals.
In Soviet Russia, Fish collect YOU!
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2011 at 9:38pm
The API KH I have is both salt and fresh. I thought that is how they all are. GH is only for fresh.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2011 at 8:08am
You're correct, Madreefer

I was thinking of the general hardness (GH) test as being the 'hardness' kit for FW only; but that is an overall hardness test - not a carbonate specific test.

The carbonate hardness (KH) test (the one we usually call the "alk" test) can be used on both; for example with African Rift Lake Cichlids they like a good amount of carbonate alkalinity in the water.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic