Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enough of the Green Button Polyps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enough of the Green Button Polyps
    Posted: September 14 2011 at 8:35pm
How do I get rid of these pests.  I can't put a fish in that eats them because they'll eat my Zoos next.  But I'm seriously overrun here.
Patrick
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2011 at 11:50am
Patrick, my old friend, you have a problem that many new hobbyists would like. A well established, stable and beautifully growing reef. That tank is around 10 years old, is it not.

In the wild those polyps would continue to grow until they pushed everything out and what was left would be a beautiful field of green protopalythoa.

In our tanks we have to manually trim them or remove and replace some rocks from time to time. Looks to me like it's time. Enjoy Thumbs Up

BTW, did you find something to eat those interesting scalps of algae?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2011 at 1:44pm
I bet i have over a 1000 of them.Sometimes i take the rock out of the tank and scrub them off with a tooth brush.Wear Gloves and also a face shield if you do decide to remove some of them this way.Approve
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
russianrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russianrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2011 at 1:49pm
ooh sounds messyClap
In Soviet Russia, Fish collect YOU!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2011 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Patrick, my old friend, you have a problem that many new hobbyists would like. A well established, stable and beautifully growing reef. That tank is around 10 years old, is it not.

In the wild those polyps would continue to grow until they pushed everything out and what was left would be a beautiful field of green protopalythoa.

In our tanks we have to manually trim them or remove and replace some rocks from time to time. Looks to me like it's time. Enjoy Thumbs Up

BTW, did you find something to eat those interesting scalps of algae?

I wondered when you would pop on and say hi bud :-)

I was hoping someone would have some wonder trick like injecting each one with Kalkwasser or the like... no?
Patrick
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2011 at 5:25pm
Aptasia X works well for killing individual polyps. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2011 at 5:29pm
Another option is a trade.  Trade for clean live rock of equal size.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2011 at 7:20pm
No secret remedies, sorry.
My vote is to trade or sell. That much coral killing bothers me and could cause havoc in the tank, but I do have my priorities. I have no problem with taking rock that is covered with Majano and tossing it out into the backyard. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2011 at 11:45pm
i wouldn't suggest you try to remove hundreds the way i do.I am talking about only removing 10-15.I only do it on rocks that have more important corals.I always rinse the rock in clean saltwater before introducing back into the tank.Guess i need to either shut up or  explain myself a little better.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2011 at 8:10am
yea I wouldn't try bulk killing them either for the reason Mark mentioned (might get toxic in the tank)... How do you frag em without removing rock... just peel em off with a knife?
Patrick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic