Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Free/Cheap RO in Utah County? + a few Questions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free/Cheap RO in Utah County? + a few Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
EntoCraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntoCraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free/Cheap RO in Utah County? + a few Questions
    Posted: August 13 2011 at 6:21pm
A few RO questions.

1. Where do I get Free or cheap RO in Utah county?  Im not setting up an RO system...

2. How often do you water change a SW tank?  I have planted tanks and cichlid tanks so Im familiar with the basics.

3.  How often do you add salt or buffers?

THANKS!

Edited by EntoCraig - August 13 2011 at 6:22pm
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 6:39pm
1- Reef Runners is the closest place to you for RO water, aside from grocery stores

2- Number two is debatable on the tank, some do it weekly, some monthly, some never even do it

3- Basic rule of saltwater, top off (Salt doesn't evaporate, so you need to try to keep your salinity stable by adding fresh water back in to your column)
EntoCraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntoCraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 6:42pm
Thank you!

1 - Where is Reef runners?  is the RO Free?

2 - What do you recomend for a soft coral type reef tank?  It will not be heavily stocked with fish.

3 - Care to elaborate on the technique behind this?  I am new to salt but want to get all my ducks in a row before I start. 

THANKS!
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 7:05pm
All I can suggest is start doing a LOT of research, if you think you understand something... Read it again, it's honestly no harder than fresh water (I think its easier because you are forced into a schedule if you want your tank to stay alive)

Reef runners is between 8/1600 North in Orem, just right off the Freeway, and yes their RO is free. Not to mention they have an awesome selection of fish, coral and John's a great guy to work with

2- I wouldn't just count on you going with soft corals. That's what every single reef member says when they start, and then it goes out of control. Plan and be patient enough to get exactly what you want. There are a lot of awesome deals around here, so it shouldn't be too hard to find

3- Not really much of a "technique" - Either you can manually do it, just top off your water to where it was when you first started the tank, same as fresh water. Or you can buy an auto top off.

What size of tank are you going to start?
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 9:43pm
We have a VERY SLOW R/O system but could help if we knew in advance how much water you needed. 
EntoCraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntoCraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Ahanix Ahanix wrote:

2- I wouldn't just count on you going with soft corals. That's what every single reef member says when they start, and then it goes out of control. Plan and be patient enough to get exactly what you want. There are a lot of awesome deals around here, so it shouldn't be too hard to find

What size of tank are you going to start?

I have a 3 foot, 60 gallon tank.  The reason I am doing soft corals is I do not want to purchase an expensive light, nor pay for an increase in electricity.  I already have 20 tanks in my fish room, so my bills are already high! :)

Currently I am in the research phase.  Just bought some books, etc. 

Originally posted by McClure McClure wrote:

We have a VERY SLOW R/O system but could help if we knew in advance how much water you needed. 

Hello!  Who is 'we'?  I am new here.  Are you with Reef Runners?
Brandon1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2011 at 11:33pm
Not only stores post here everything on this site trys to help each other out on here! Talk to some of the older people that have been in the saltwater on this site just ask for help and people will run to you everyone on here is VERY helpful!
24G JBJ Nano with LEDS

EntoCraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntoCraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2011 at 10:46am
I am asking for help, hence the post :lol:
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 3:57pm
Just so you know, last time I checked Reef Runners charges for R.O water. I'm not sure on the price but I think is low. Maybe someone else can chime in and clarify. I'm thinking $.20/gallon.
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 4:09pm
Not sure on price per gallon but if you spend over $20 on anything at reef runners, he will give you free RO on that day.  Not if you come back the next day though ;)
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 4:21pm
I was just down to him and its free there!
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 4:43pm
^Maybe you buy a lot so he is good to you?  I was there yesterday and he said he charges unless you buy $20 or more. 
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 6:04pm
John has always given me free RO water. Guess he likes us Jeremy! LOL
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

John has always given me free RO water. Guess he likes us Jeremy! LOL

I guess i'll have to join that club too, LOL
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 6:15pm
I'm not too familiar with this, but does anyone know if he takes frags for in store credit?
McClure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McClure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by EntoCraig EntoCraig wrote:

Hello!  Who is 'we'?  I am new here.  Are you with Reef Runners?

"We" are my husband and I, who are NOT part of Reef Runners, we just happen to have an RO/DI system at home.
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2011 at 7:11pm
Matt he gives you crédit whenever they sell
npatching View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npatching Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 7:23am
Reef Runners ro is free but John has a four bucket limit per day
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 8:29am
Weird.  Im taking this thread in with me next time.  He has been making me buy it ever since Aquatica went under. 
EntoCraig View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EntoCraig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2011 at 8:40am
Im skipping all the RO BS and buffers and going to setup another Dart frog tank.  Thanks for all the help.

Later!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic