Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tanuki's Ocean 180 inside!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tanuki's Ocean 180 inside!
    Posted: July 30 2011 at 12:40am
Ok well as many of you know, Phinfan was helping a friend sell a 180 up in Ogden.

It was a steal and came with everything needed to get going, though a couple of things seem to be out dated (lights, possibly pumps as well).

I trucked the tank home tonight and cleaned it up.  It had a good layer of mud and sand mixed with gravel on the bottom.

We had to cut a few of the lines in order to disconnect them and move the tank, so tomorrow I will:

Replace Lines
Clean Sump
Throw away Bio Balls (Shopping bag full if someone wants em)
Plug everything in
See what is broken and what is working.

I am hoping all goes well!

This will be a Reef Tank.  I just need to get it cycled so I can move my fish in soon.

Another BIG thanks to Phinfan, Rara, and Triggerhappy for helping me move the tank here today!

Please feel free to comment on what I am doing right/ wrong.  Even though it is my second tank, it has only been a couple of months since I started.

-Brent

EDIT:

I have decided to keep a running stock list for the tank in this post.  I will make edits as things either pass or are introduced to the tank.

1- Cleaner Shrimp
2- Peppermint Shrimp
30(or so)- Hermits
1- Emerald Crab
10- Nassarius Snails
6- Turbo Snails
1-Pistol Shrimp
1-Yellow Watchmen Goby
2- Red Fairy Anthias
2- Ocellaris Clowns
1-Pajama Cardinal
1- Niger Trigger
1- Yellow Tang

Edited by Tanuki - August 20 2011 at 7:56am
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2011 at 2:19am
That's going to be a nice set-up! I love the clean white look. I am also loving your paintings on the walls, frame them up and they would look amazing:) I might have to see about getting one done
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2011 at 7:49am
I love staring at a new empty tank lol it always has a full of possibilities feel to it
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2011 at 9:09am
Nice looking set up. The world is at your feet my friend ;)
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2011 at 9:38am
I have two 5 gallon buckets of gravel free to a good home. I'd just like it gone. It's yours if you want it. 
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2011 at 9:48am
Very nice looking tank!

Don't forget to make sure it is level before you add water!

Edited by BobC63 - July 30 2011 at 9:48am
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Rara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2011 at 10:38am
Looks good.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 10:58am
Thanks for all the kind words!

Tank is level based off my iphone leveler.  Maybe I need to get a real level on it too?
If it isn't quite level, what do you suggest to level it out?

Connie,
Thanks for the gravel offer.  I think I am going to go Pink FIJI or possibly Bare bottom though.
I do appreciate the offer!

I cleaned out the wet/dry filter and threw out the bio balls.  Put maybe 30 lbs of live rock in where the balls were, but I am going to break some more down and put them in.  I am still trying to decide if I want to cut that section of the sump open so I can have lighting and bigger rocks in there, but I may brake the rocks and put them in.

I also redid the plumbing on the tank.  Bought new hoses and clamps and went to work.  I also plugged in the ballasts and lighting to see what really works vs not.
The Halides warmed up and work fine, but the others seem to not work.  I am guessing the bulbs are bad as I am almost positive there is electricity.

I still need to polish the inside of the acrylic, but after that, I am ready to add RO water.  I am guessing monday or tuesday.

:)

Edited by Tanuki - July 31 2011 at 11:02am
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 11:48am
Looking good! If you need to level the tank, use shims.
210 gallon Mixed Reef
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2011 at 6:44pm
Well today I:

Sanded and buffed out the tank
Wiped down the hood and got all the mold off of it
Added 10 gallons of RO to the tank (why? because I can)

Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2011 at 10:58am
Well I added most of my rock to the tank and have added maybe 60 gallons of water now (5 gallon bucket at a time).  

My neighbor has been letting me use his RO, though I realize with a tank of this magnitude, I need to just order an RO.

My rock will mostly all be fiji with a few other things as well.  

Here it is with maybe 35 gallons of water and the rock:

I am hoping to finish filling the tank with water this weekend, but we'll see what really happens.  I started scaping last night, but realized the water wasn't high enough so I Couldn't go as tall as I wanted.  So to prevent die off, I just made it all flat again until the tank fills.
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2011 at 11:16am
Very exciting!
210 gallon Mixed Reef
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2011 at 11:19am

Looking good!

Big tanks can be a lot of fun - and yours looks sharp!

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2011 at 9:24am
^Thanks guys.

While I was in San Diego my friend filled the water for me 5 gallons at a time with his RO unit.  I am glad he lives like 5 minutes by foot from my house.    I got home late last night, but still made a point of scaping the tank.

Here is what I came up with:

phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2011 at 7:11pm
looking good. Thumbs Up
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 8:17am
Thanks!  PM Sent Rick.

Here are a few shots of the different angles around the scaping.  This will give you a better idea of what the fish have to work with:

Also I did notice one or two small scratches I missed during the sanding.  Any chance there is a way to sand them out without using a buffer and without leaving it looking cloudy?
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 8:49pm
Nice. Clap
I like the aquascaping
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 10:08pm
^Thanks.  I have started to slowly move fish over and am monitoring all levels as I do.

I added the two clowns and goby today.  I also got the goby a new buddy since my trigger at his gf.

What really amazed me, was the fact that the goby was hiding in the rocks/ sand when I put the Tiger Pistol Shrimp in.  Before the shrimp hit the sand, the goby had found him and they paired up that fast.  Really cool.  Video to come!

Edited by Tanuki - August 16 2011 at 10:09pm
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 10:12pm

Edited by Tanuki - August 16 2011 at 10:13pm
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2011 at 11:00pm
That is so cool. Big smile
I need one of those guys as a helper at work. LOL  He moves a lot of sand.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic