Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lake bonneville tufa rock?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lake bonneville tufa rock?
    Posted: June 24 2011 at 4:30pm
Not 100% sure if this is the best forum category for this but here goes.
Next weekend (its a holiday weekend for the fourth of july)I'm thinking about going out to collect some LBTR im told that you are allowed to collect up to 300 lbs of rock for personal use.
I have read on here of some people going down to collect tufa rock and oolitic sand. I have not been there myself but i think its worth a trip. Anyone else interested in going to collect?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 4:36pm
Typically if you set a date and time and place to meet.... you'll get a good turnout of people. When in doubt, I'm offer to pay someone (like Arthur?) to take you out since they know exactly where to go.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 4:44pm
I would love to get some for myself but my schedule isn't "normal" so I don't have that weekend off.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 8:28pm
The good stuff is hard to find All the spots where we found it in the past are picked over so there is only heavy not so porous rock left.
But there is plenty of good sand
See the link below for more info about LBTR/Utah Rock and Oolitic Sand, including where to get good Oolitic sand.
I have some of the best Utah rock and sand left at $0.50/lb in Murray.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call or text anytime

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 29 2013 at 5:24pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2011 at 10:42pm
Mark I like your idea better. I'll give you a call.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Brandon1985 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brandon1985 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 12:21am
Its very easy to Find the Rock and Sand are in 2 diff spots I know alot of people here wont say where it is but Its very easy to find!! I did it 1 time with a BIG group of people and I dont think I will use Utah anymore in less its for just the base!
24G JBJ Nano with LEDS

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2011 at 8:15am
The sand is fairly easy to collect at the Oolitic sand dunes directly west of Stansbury Island. Be careful not to collect the sand from the dunes on the right side of the road southwest of the island/mountain. Make sure it looks like the pic below, little round or oblong grains, not sharp silica sand.

Light, porous LBTR is not easy to find.
The easy to find but heavy, poor quality LBTR is really crap. I wouldn't use it, even for base rock.
Saddened when reading of hobbyists that were disappointed with poor quality LBTR, several years ago I returned to collecting the better quality stuff and making it available to WMAS hobbyists. But this time I chose to charge just $0.50/lb for my effort. Check it out with a visit to MarksReef Coral Farm in Murray.

The road to Stansbury Island

good Oolitic Sand

a comparison of good-bad-good LBTR

a small piece of excellent LBTR

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 12 2015 at 10:03am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 5:32pm
Aloha,

We've been back from Hawaii for over six months! Figured I'd better edit this thread because it is linked from the Reefkeeping Tips thread and because we again have available to you the best quality Utah Sand and Utah Rock.

Mark Hug
808-345-1049
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 9:50am
The rock in these pics/aquariums is 50-90% Utah Aragonite Rock formed in Lake Bonneville, the ancient ocean, for us to use and enjoy.

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 12 2015 at 9:56am
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 10:18am
I'm going to guess that poor feather starfish isn't in a non-photosynthetic-only tank?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 10:33am
Heh.

Made for a cool picture though!

Edited by Pete Moss - February 12 2015 at 10:34am
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 5:27pm
Yeah that was a sad thing.Cry I was working for MSM Aquatics and several of these were received as extras, even though they were not ordered. We knew they were doomed so I asked if I could take one home. I enjoyed it for about 4 months before it's demise. Dead

Hug
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 6:18pm
That's too bad. Sorry to hear that.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2015 at 1:40am
Mark do you still have LBTR for sale?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic